1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I got saved!

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by chickenlady, Dec 11, 2006.

1. chickenlady

chickenlady New Member

I haven't posted here a ton of times, but I have posted here before, and have talked to some people here. Just wanted to spread the news! Here's my testimony. Check it out!

Basically my testimony started from reading a chick tract (www.karastory.cjb.net) that God took me from a life of Crime and rebellion, and He changed me so much. My life was spun out of control, and I knew I needed God. I then started attending church 6 years later. I was told that in salvation there is a time and a place, I thought to myself, oh, well I must've been saved that time when I asked God to change me, I then added salvation to my testimony in order to fit in. I still was decieved. I made myself believe, that since I understood salvation now that I went to church, that I convinced myself I was saved. Everybody had no trouble believing I was a Christian, because I served God so zealously and had boldness with the gospel in handing out tracts. Truth is, I didn't know what salvation was. God is so merciful and patient.

http://www.geocities.com/bornagain12606/Godsaves.html

#1 chickenlady, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2006
  2. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

I'm happy for you...

but I dont understand it.

Why is it so difficult to be saved?

This happened to my sister in law recently, and I just honestly do not understand.

3. chickenlady

chickenlady New Member

Salvation isn't difficult. Because Satan doesn't want to see anybody saved and he'll do all he can to keep somebody decieved. It was so difficult for me to realize I was lost, because I had changed so much - I turned away from a life of Crime, disobedience to my parents, rebellion in school, and yet I was still lost. People make it difficult, people add works and think their works proves salvation. And I didn't even realize it. Our natural state is to gravitate towards works. It's pride - we think it's in our control and that we can add something to God's work.

#3 chickenlady, Dec 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2006
  4. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

but it does seem difficult...

Your testimony is very similar to my sils.. She had gone from a life of drugs and promiscuity to being a completely different person.

and she says the same things as you do..

I guess where it gets confusing for me is that if you make a decision to follow and trust Christ, then how can you not be saved, since that is what the bible says? Arent our works and our fruit the outward picture of what is going on inside?

and I cant put a time or a place on my salvation.

I was "saved" in high school, but at that time, really all I did was say a prayer and then went on with my life, all the while attending church. Somewhere along the lines it all came together and I understood, though I wouldnt be able to tell you exactly when, and I realized that I couldnt save myself and I had to trust God, but there wasnt a time or a place when it was this huge realization for me the way that it is for a lot of people..

but it seems like if you believe in God and believe that you are a sinner and that Christ is your savior, then you are saved. It seems as though that is all the bible mentions. It was more of a journey for me than a moment.

So while I am happy for you and for my sister in law, I still dont understand why it has to be so complicated, and how you can follow Christ and trust Christ, but not follow Christ and not trust Christ at the same time.

Its all very confusing for me.

In other words, while sometimes I do doubt my own salvation (because I can sometimes fear spreading the gospel, and if I really truly believed it, wouldnt it be ALL that I wanted to do?) I dont understand how it can be changed.

5. chickenlady

chickenlady New Member

Emily - I never did trust Christ. Wanting God to change me, doesn't save me. Saying a prayer doesn't save me also. Believing in Jesus & God doesn't save me. The bible says that the devils also believe and tremble. It doesn't mean that a person has to understand every bit of doctorine for salvation, but repentance and faith go along with salvation. It is together at one point in your life, and if you are unsure you are saved, you cannot keep "getting saved again" or rededicate yourself when you were never His. The truth is, Christians don't have to rededicate themselves to Christ, God knows His sheep, and he calls them back. If you're having doubts, listen to those sermons at the end of my testimony, and make sure you outline the one on "repentance and faith" and look in your bible afterwards. My salvation experience did not line up with the bible way to heaven. Let me know your thoughts. Til then I'm praying for you.

Kara

6. USBaptist

USBaptist New Member

Praise The Lord!

Praise the Lord!

7. Christlifter

Christlifter New Member

Faith/Repentance John R. Van Gelderen www.ptwm.org Print this out for better read

What does one need to know in order to be saved? How do we receive Christ? John 1:12 clarifies this by saying, “But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name.” The issue is believing on Christ. The way you received Christ by faith (or faith/repentance) is the key issue. What is the proper understanding of faith/repentance?
    First, the theological essence of faith and repentance is the same. By focusing on each side of this theological coin in the matter of salvation, we can see the oneness of essence. The verb believe simply means “believe (in), trust”. The wording in the lexicon “believe (in)” indicates more than a mental assent. It demands the idea of trust or dependence. To depend on articulates the key idea of the verb form. To depend on also implies one must choose to depend on. Therefore, believing is volitional, or an act of the will. Many systematic theology books and commentaries point out that there are three angles to believing: intellect (understanding), emotions (agreeing), and volition (depending).
    What must one understand in order to be saved? Jesus said in John 16:8 that the Holy Spirit “will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment.” These same three truths are articulated in the Gospel declaration of I Corinthians 15:3, “Christ [righteousness] died [judgment] for our sins [sin].” Therefore, one must be convinced by the Holy Spirit of his sin, of his deserved judgment in hell, and of his need for the credited righteousness of Jesus Christ in order to be saved. Understanding these three truths is necessary for salvation. This involves the intellect. The heartfelt agreement with these truths is necessary for salvation. This involves the emotions. However, to stop short with just understanding and agreement is not salvation, but a decision. The demons acknowledge God (James 2:19). In that sense they believe in God. They know that Jesus died and rose again. In that sense they believe in Christ.
    Many acknowledge Jesus Christ. They understand and agree with the basic truths of sin, righteousness, and judgment. But an acknowledgment-only decision is easy-*believism. It is the routine which gives people a false assurance of heaven. A lack of real emphasis on sin and judgment, dealing with it only in general terms, often produces this kind of shallow decision. True believing in Christ for salvation goes beyond the intellect and emotions [acknowledgment] to the volition. One must make the choice of transferring his dependence to Christ for salvation from sin and hell in order to be saved. This is as simple in a physical sense as a drowning person who, seeing a boat go by, cries out, “Help!” What did he do? He transferred his dependence from his own self-effort to someone else. In salvation, one transfers his dependence from his own self-effort to Christ.
    The dependence must be only on Christ.In countering easy-believism, the Lordship salvation position mistakenly goes beyond the volitional transfer of trust to Christ alone, to an infringement on the finished work of Christ. To say as some Lordship salvation proponents say that “believing involves one’s commitment to Christ to turn from or be willing to turn from one’s sin” is making the person a part of the object of faith. Believing is not one’s commitment to Christ, but one’s dependence on Christ. The commitment to live right is a wrong dependence. Galatians 3:24 clarifies this by stating, “The law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.” The law shows man he cannot meet God’s standard of perfection, and so brings him to Christ Who met the standard for him. The law is a schoolmaster not to bring man to reformation (self-dependence) but to Christ (God-dependence). The Lordship salvation position errs in adding ever-so-subtly to the object of dependence. The obedience of faith for salvation is a cessation from works-dependence as one casts his dependence on the finished work of Jesus Christ. Romans 10:16 says, “But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?”The obedience of faith for salvation is believing on Christ. However faith clearly is not a work. Scripture states that faith is the antithesis of works. Ephesians 2:8-9says, “For by grace are ye saved through faith...not of works.” Faith is obedience but not a work.The essence of believing or faith is to transfer one’s dependence to Christ for salvation from sin and hell. What then is the essence of repentance? The verb repent, referring to salvation, is primarily the Greek word metanoeo which means “to change one’s mind.”3 Change one’s mind about what? About sin, righteousness, and judgment. Repent (metanoeo) comes from a compound word. The first word in the compound is meta which, in this sense, means “after.”4 The second word in the compound is noeo which means ‘perceive”5 from the noun nous which means “mind” or “way of thinking.”6 Therefore, metanoeo does mean “to change one’s mind.” As metamorphosis is a change of form, so metanoia (noun form of metanoeo) is a change in mind. Notice the issue is not just to understand in the mind (intellect) or even agree in the heart (emotion), but to change one’s mind (volition). As noted already, the issue of one’s “mind” in repentance is one’s “way of thinking.” One’s way of thinking reveals what he perceives as absolute. It is one’s grid of thinking reflecting what they are depending on. Therefore, to change one’s mind is to transfer one’s dependence. It is to exchange one’s way of thinking which in essence is to exchange one’s object of dependence. To transfer one’s dependence is also the definition of believe. So faith and repentance are two sides to one theological coin. The essence of faith/repentance. Repentance is the point of trust when one turns to Christ Who is life from sin, which is death. To define repent as to turn from sin without clarifying also a turning to Christ is unclear and potentially misleading as it implies the turn would be actions (works). Turning from sins, which by itself implies reformation, would be works. Our articulation of the decision of faith/repentance must not bend toward a meritorious salvation. For example, to say that, in order to be saved, one must “turn and trust”, without further clarification, can be misleading. If the trust is one’s moment of salvation (John 6:47), then what is the turn? The key is clarifying that the turn is the volitional trust in Christ for salvation from sin and hell. One’s abandonment to Christ as his only object of salvation is the moment of faith/repentance. The turn to Christ is not reformation, but the cry for mercy (trust). Faith/repentance for salvation is simply the transfer of one’s dependence from whatever he has been depending on, to Christ alone for salvation from sin and hell. Hebrews 6:1 clearly states “repentance from dead works [wrong object of dependence], and of faith toward God [right object of dependence]. In summary, faith means a transfer of dependence, and repentance means a change of way of thinking (which is an exchange of one’s grid of absolutes which, therefore, reflects his object of dependence). The theological essence of faith/repentance is the same.
    Second, the theological emphasis of faith and repentance is different.If the essence is the same, how does the emphasis differ? The essence of faith/dependence is to transfer one’s dependence. However, the emphasis of faith is the dependence, and the emphasis of repentance is the transfer or exchange. The fact that most occurrences of believe in regard to salvation are in the present tense generally indicating continuous action shows that one is now actually depending on Christ. Although believe is often in the present tense, the promises for salvation (e.g. forgiveness of sins and eternal life) are stated such that they are fulfilled the moment one first appropriates faith (e.g. “hath everlasting life” John 6:47). However, the idea is not to believe, and then never believe again. The present tense indicating is believing allows us to refer to Christians as believers. Yet it is possible to doubt one’s salvation. If not, verses such as I John 5:13 would be unneeded: “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life.” Also, verses such as John 1:12 reveal that although believe is is believing (present tense), receive is in the aorist tense, indicating the fact of an action: “But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name.” Received refers to the moment of the transaction, and believe (or is believing) refers to the new dependence now on Christ. While believe or faith emphasizes the new dependence now on Christ, repentance emphasizes the transfer or exchange. In salvation passages, the word repent occurs ten times in the present tense, eight times in the aorist tense. The usage of the aorist, indicating the fact of an action, does seem to lean toward the moment of transfer.

8. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

which makes me wonder...

How many "saved" people are actually saved.

I wasnt presented with the gospel detailed this much.

Preachers make it seem so easy.."Trust in Jesus.. Repent.. Give your life to the Lord".

Most people do not get a description of what these words say in a lexicon.

This makes salvation seem so difficult to me.

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Emily,

if you are doubting your salvation, then pray about it. If not having a time when you made a specific decision is causing you to doubt, then take this time now to consciously make that decision.

Salvation itself is not a difficult thing. BUT, it can seem confusing because the devil wants it to look confusing. He wants us to be confused so we either never get saved OR we remain timid about witnessing because we keep having doubts. There is absolutely no harm in you just making sure of your own salvation. That hesitation and confusion in your mind.....it doesn't come from God. Ask Him to help you through this.

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

and......Yay! Chickenlady! congratulations! :thumbs:

11. Glory~To~God

Glory~To~God New Member

Congats!!! I just love chick tracts! Here is a site for baptist tracts... http://www.pfbaptistpress.org

12. chickenlady

chickenlady New Member

Yay!

Thanks for the congrats everybody! :wavey: :jesus:

Emily, Did you listen to those two sermons yet?

-Kara

13. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

No chickenlady, I havent found the time yet.

but I will get to it one of these evenings when I decide to stay up late.

14. chickenlady

chickenlady New Member

burn it on cd and listen it in the car

15. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

Great post. Thank you for sharing. So many today are deceived about their salvation. I am gald that you finally received the Lord. On my web site I deal with why so many are deceived and remain lost. Many will say Lord! Lord! and here I never knew you, but it is not necessary if we will get the truth out. God bless.

16. Rachel

Rachel New Member

That is awesome, praise God!! Thank you for your testimony! I know God will use it. Repentence and faith. Amen :thumbs:

So true. :(

17. chickenlady

chickenlady New Member

I'm getting baptised!

I'm getting baptised not this Sunday, but next Sunday (The 4th). I'm really excited. Please be praying for certain friends and family members that will be attending that are lost - Carol, Linda & Carl, Kelly, Erin, Kim, Jerry, Carrie, and Kathy. Ofcourse to all the people who are not saved that will be hearing it. I will try to get it uploaded.

I'm really enjoying being discipled! I am growing in Christ by the day. So much has changed already since Dec 6th. Still don't have that empty feeling anymore - it's gone. You can read my testimony that I'll be reading at my baptism:

http://www.geocities.com/bornagain12606/Godsaves.html

- Kara

#17 chickenlady, Jan 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2007
  18. bapmom

bapmom New Member

great testimony, Kara!

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

First of all, I would like to tell you I am Truly thankful to hear of your conversion. The very thing that you went through and finally got through to God is what I have tried to tell to people for quite sometime. I grew up in the Old Regular Baptist and they believe in what they call a "Travel" from nature to Grace, but the world the use for travel is TRAVAIL. It takes God 100% to save someone. Man alone can not do this. I had a preacher tell me once that it doesn't say anything about a feeling when one gets saved. I could not believe this! What God did for you was unmistakeable and forever! May God Bless!! John 3:16 :1_grouphug:

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I probably be back to Buck Creek soon. I hear you were there not long ago, don't know if you were there when I was or not. :)