1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Hate Mondays...

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by PastorSBC1303, Sep 12, 2005.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Does anyone else hate mondays out there? :(

2. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's Why I take off on Monday and just chill!

In the fall and winter, I hunt.
    In the spring and summer, I do whatever strikes my fancy.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I never get anything accomplished on Monday - listening to cricket at the moment.

4. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Yep, that's why I deliberately take off.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

If the wife works, take Monday off, or do low energy stuff. If the wife doesn't work, don't mope around the house all day Monday and bring her down with you [​IMG]

My practice is Monday is a day off (minimum half a day when emergencies arise) and take at least another half day somewhere else. Use comp time for yourself.

Part of the reason we hate Mondays is we have too much going on on Sundays. Preaching twice is killer. Eliminate all you can from Sunday, with the only exception being sunday school and Sunday AM worship. I even think Sunday PM worship could be eliminated (and we'll STILL get to heaven) :D

6. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

Us Monday haters are in the majority.

A Recent Gallup Poll found that Monday is the least favorite day of the week for a majority of Americans. Friday is the most favorite day of the week.

7. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I actually enjoy Monday...I still have to work, but most of it is my secular employment.

8. Hardsheller

Site Supporter

What is your secular emplyment? I'm just curious.

9. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I don't mind mondays. Any day I can study His Word and get paid to do it is a great day. However, I work night shift as a security guard, 6 nights a week... Read, I check a few gates and doors and then study for seminary or for lessons/sermons about 4 hours out of 8. God is good, and gave me the best secular employment I could have. I am a semi-bi-vocational pastor. I am encouraged to study while at my second job.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I retired three weeks ago, I can't tell Mondays from Thursdays!!

Ha!!

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OOPS!

Didn't realize that I was in the pastors' room!

Sorry.

12. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Hardsheller, I work (via telecommute) with a major DoD aviation program.

13. rmered

rmered New Member

I read a book by Bruce Mawhinney called Freshness in Preaching and he said to force yourself to work Monday and take another day off when you won't mope. I try to get right into my text for the next week, then by Thursday, my day off, I forget to mope.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love them. I spend late Sunday night (after football) laying out my sermon and plan for the week based on the day. Then my mind can rest and enjoy time off.

My wife (the doctor) does not go to the clinic on Mondays. We can enjoy the day together, whether in some activities or just at home.

And then Monday Night Football . . ah, the end of a perfect day!

Now, Tuesday morning, I am enjoying my calli tea, answering emails and visiting some websites -- and putting off finishing my translation of Romans 3 and the next 7 sermons on that chapter.

15. patrick

patrick New Member

Why take Monday off? I don't want to feel terriable on my off day. Take Friday off instead!!!!!!!!!!

16. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have tried taking Fridays off, but it just never worked well for me. I seemed to always be going in to the church to do something, etc and I usually never ended up with a true day off. Mondays I am able to completely disengage from the church and have a true day off. But I still hate Mondays. [​IMG]

17. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I agree with Patrick. Don't take Monday off. We pastors are typically too washed out to do anything profitable and enjoy it. Take another day when you can do something. I like to get started on Mondays getting the records caught up on my computer, cleaning my desk off, doing some reading.

18. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

I hate Mondays, too. That is why I did not respond to this post until Thursday. I was recovering from Monday. I work a secular job as well as my ministry, so I rarely even have a day off. But that is okay. I like to be busy.

19. dclark14

dclark14 New Member

Monday,Monday---How does that old song go? I use Monday to get ready for Wed's. prayer group. I then go to the bank to deposit my salary check and observe the comic relief it provides for them. There is usually some "backwash" from Sunday to take care of- and going through whatever else got stuffed into my "Monday" file since the previous Wednesday.That leaves Tuesday completely open (usually) for my wife and I to get out of town and poke around. Wednesday begins the outline for the next Sunday, and the placing of low-priority items in the next "Monday" file!

20. PastorDave

PastorDave New Member

I too have come to learn that Mondays are not the best day for me to take off. I have tried it but I find myself too restless about the coming week of preperation. Now I will spend time in the office gearing up for the coming week by beginning my time of study.

If I am able to finish all my sermon work by Friday, I find that a much better day to take off. Nothing like the feeling of knowing all is ready for Sunday.