1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I have a problem with my web sites...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, Jan 27, 2003.

1. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I maintain six personal, family web sites and they all have music on them. I used to be able to hear it but I can't now. I have been told by other people they can hear it fine. Why can't I? Please phrase your answers like they do in "Internet for Dummies" [​IMG] Thanks!

:confused:
    Sue

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sue, first things first, and I apologize for insulting your intelligence: Check your volume control on your speakers. Make sure your speakers are still plugged into both the power strip (or wall socket) and into the computer.

Now ensure that your volume control hasn't been muted. If you've got the little speaker down in the bottom right hand corner of your screen, make sure it doesn't have one of those red circle "no smoking" symbols on top of it.

Even if it doesn't have that symbol, right click on it, Open Volume Control, and then look for any checkboxes with the words "Mute" next to them; make sure all the boxes are unchecked.

If you don't have a speaker icon down there, click on Start, Programs, and then (usually) Accessories or Entertainment. You should have a choice for Volume Control that will open the same panel.

If none of those work, then we'll need to step through looking for conflicts.

3. I Am Blessed 24

Don, you did not insult my intelligence. It is very limited when it comes to puters! [​IMG] My volume control is fine. I can hear the music on my stationery and I play Parchisi on a web site and the sounds come through just fine.
    Also when I am looking for a new midi I don't have a problem hearing it. The only thing I have a problem hearing is the music on my sites. :confused: Thanks!

Sue

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, this might sound silly to our brethren here who are more knowledgeable with computers:

When you open your Internet Explorer window (assuming you're using IE), look at the "File, Edit, View," etc. choices at the top. Click on Tools, and then Internet Options. The first tab should have a middle section titled "Temporary Internet Files" and give you a "Delete Files" button; click on that button (if you have a button for delete cookies, don't click on that one).

Then close IE and restart, and revisit your web sites.

I'm not hopeful that that will actually fix anything...while you're doing that, I'll do some research to see if there are any similar problems out there....

5. I Am Blessed 24

Thanks Don; But I delete my temporary files every week and so far it hasn't changed anything. I am really stumped as my pages are the only thing I have a problem hearing. :confused:

Sue

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, Sue, the research I've done says a lot of people have this problem.

The #1 cure seems to be "upgrade to a newer version of your browser." I hate that answer.

What I need to ask is: What browser (and version) are you using?

What program(s) do you use for sound/video files? (as in, RealPlayer, QuickTime, or something else?) Check your settings in that program, and make sure it's configured to play midi's.

Other people can hear your midi's, but not you...gonna have to sleep on that one....

7. I Am Blessed 24

Don, Don, Don! You are a genius! [​IMG] I can hear music on my pages for the first time in over a year!!! I am SO excited!!!

I used to have Real Player. I'm not sure what happened to it. [​IMG] Anyway, I checked like you suggested and I now have 'Windows Media Player'. Sure enough, "midi files" was not checked! :confused:

I checked it and went to one of my pages and guess what??? Music, beautiful music!

Thank you SO very much and God Bless You!

[​IMG]
    Sue

8. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The boy's good, aint he, Sue?

9. I Am Blessed 24

Absolutely positively Clint!!! [​IMG]

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Y'all are makin' too much out of this...we just went through the checklist together until we found out what the problem was....

11. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's humble, too! :D

12. I Am Blessed 24

Yes, Humble Don; but I didn't know what checklist to go through until you told me! :confused: I changed my Christmas page to a Valentine's Day page today and I was sooo excited to hear the music! [​IMG] Thanks again Don!

Sue

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome!

[​IMG]