1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Have a Question About Hell

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by RedemptionAddiction, Jan 1, 2007.

1. RedemptionAddiction

Where in the Bible does it say that after you die, it's too late to accept Jesus as your Saviour? This is such an accepted belief, and only recently have I tried to find scripture for it, and have yet to find any.

2. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

well you are dead and when you are dead you cant do anything or think anything.

Eccl:9:5: For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I'll answer your question. But first answer mine.
    Your profile states this:
    Neither denomination nor church affiliation are mentioned which are required upon time of registration. What church or denomination are you affiliated with?

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 9:27 - "...it is appointed unto man once to die and then the judgment."

There is no second chance nor is there a cycle of reincarnation.

There are two judgments. One for the lost person and one for the saved person.

(1.) Revelation 20:12-15 - "And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

The is the judgment of the lost people. What makes them lost is that their names are not written in the book of life. What they are being judged upon are their works. Works don't save you and works don't send you to hell. These people are already headed to hell.....their names aren't in the book of life. But they are judged according to their evil works. Apparently, there will be degrees (no pun intended) of suffering in hell. Nowhere is there found that anyone who is dead and lost getting a second chance at salvation. Lost means doomed for hell after death. Hell will mean different things to different people, but they all will suffer in the lake of fire.

(2.) 1 Corinthians 3:10-15 - "According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed now how he buildeth there upon.

This is the beginning of the explanation of the judgment of the saved people. The foundation that Paul speaks of here is salvation in Jesus Christ. He says to watch out for how you live your live (build on the foundation).

For other foundation can no man lay than that which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble, every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it because it shall be revealed by fire; and that fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

Paul says that we cannot be saved any other way than Jesus Christ. Some christians have good works (gold, silver, precious stones) and some christians did not produce what they should have based on God's will for their lives (wood, hay, stubble). God will judge christians according to their works (fire - but not a literal fire).

If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Paul says that God will judge Christians and those who were submissively obedient and produced good works shall receive a reward. Those christians who wasted much of their opportunity to serve the LORD will not be rewarded, but Paul says that they will NOT lose their salvation. No christian who is heavily rewarded will boast in any way, because the rewards belong to Jesus and we will cast our crowns at His feet.

Nowhere in the bible is there an opportunity for the dead to have a second opportunity to be saved. The rich man who went to hell and asked for Lazarus to touch the tip of his tongue with something wet understood fully why he was in hell. He did not get a second chance even though he saw things clearly. He did ask for someone to go and witness to this lost brothers, but to no avail.

#4 Scarlett O., Jan 1, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  5. standingfirminChrist

The gospel of Luke tells us that when the rich man died, he lifted his eyes in hell... in torment. He begged for mercy. Abraham stated that there was a great gulf between hell and the earth above and none could cross over. Sounds like finality to me.

Also Jesus said in the gospel of Mark that their torment would be everlasting... without end. Again, finality.

Once a person dies in his or her sins, there is no more chance that Christ's blood will wash their sins away. Revelation states that the ones who have died in their sins will be cast in the lake of fire where the beast and false prophet are. There is no turning back.

Many who have died in such a state are crying for mercy and forgiveness this day, but their cries are not heard. Many who have died in their sins are truly repentant of those sins today, but will never hear the words 'Enter in to the joys of the Lord'.

6. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Bible Churches are a denomination.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If that is what it is I accept it. It isn't made clear however.

8. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, I wouldn't presume to speak for him/her; it may be that he/she is one of those people who doesn't "need" to go to church, claiming to rely upon "the Bible alone"...

... those people scare me. A little. :laugh:

9. standingfirminChrist

Just curious, can 'Bible Church' be found in the phone books, other than in the heading 'Non-Denominational'?

I have seen 'Bible Baptist Church', but have never seen 'Baptist Bible Church'

All that have 'Bible Church, in that order, that I have seen, are Non-Denominational. Which is kind of funny, cuz even a non-denomination is a denomination.

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

In the Birmingham, Alabama Yellow Pages, there are four churches listed under "Bible."

11. standingfirminChrist

but are they listed anywhere other than non-denominational?

12. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, yes, I found them in their own listing, right after all the various Baptist churches, completely apart from the nondenoms.

13. standingfirminChrist

Well, that's a first for me. I have always seen them as non-denomination

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Heb 9 -- "It is appointed unto man ONCE to die and THEN comes judgment".

In Christ,

Bob

15. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many verses related to the issue, but I would point out a few verses whichI read recently.

Job 36:18

Because there is wrath, beware lest he take thee away with his stroke: then a great ransom cannot deliver thee

Matthew 5:25

Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

Luke 16:
    19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day: 20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores, 21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; 23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. 25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented. 26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence. 27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: 28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. 29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. 31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Heb 9:
    27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    No one is as blind as he who won't see.

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In any case, no one ever accepts Jesus Christ if not given him through grace. Election, free grace, regeneration, conversion, that's the order from which decision FOR Christ, originates - at any point in the life of God's favourites - NEVER, TOO late!

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But ALWAYS, within one's God-given here-life. God's purpose cannot be frustrated, not even this side of the life hereafter.