1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I haven't posted in a while...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by moeowo2, Jan 21, 2010.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I looked at number of "standing in the gap" websites and could not find anything that says they were pentecostal in their statements of faith or what we believe information. I also saw nothing in the wevsites to suggests that what is said in the OP about becoming your daughter is true. The OP said:
    A few Wednesdays ago he had us pray for a lady which was great until he told her "you are no longer you, you are your daughter now" and no one seemed phased by it. I looked it up and it's a Pentecostal belief.

I am not trying to cause a problem, just trying to clarify that this not a pentecostal belief as said in the OP. It may be a belief of some small fringe group since there is someboky out there that believes almost anything.

We should be careful not to take as representative of others beliefs, based on what a few people or a small fringe group have said.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Why can't the church use the biblical guidelines in 1 Timothy and Titus to vet this man? If they don't, they are not following scripture. He clearly does not meet the requirements.

3. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

You're correct they SHOULD be using it but they aren't. :(

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

If you don't have a pastor search committee, how is the legwork getting done? Is there no one your church can designate to at least ask the candidate for a doctrinal statement? Who invites the candidates to preach? Who decides which candidate to invite. Who runs your business meetings? This situation has trouble written all over it.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is just why all of our pastors except our senior pastor (who came on staff in 1968) were hired from within. We know them well enough to know if they're pastor worthy or not.

6. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

In our church constitution ANYONE can nominate a pastor candidate ...well at least that's how the group that is wanting him is interpreting it.

7. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

"Standing in the gap" is gaining in popularity and is indeed a belief among the penecostals, but probably not all. I have witnessed it myself. The movement was taking hold of some baptist churches in KY in the early 90s and now it looks like it has jumped the big river to TX.

From all acounts that I have heard, it is considered a penecostal teaching.

I should also add that you can refer to it as "healing by proxy".

8. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Before making the false claim that it is a "pentecostal teaching", I suggest you check the websites of the larger pentecostal denominations. Suggest checking with the Assemblies of God, Pentecostal Church of God, The Foursquare Gospel Church, etc.

We should be careful not to take as representative of other's beliefs, based on what a few people or a small fringe group have said. Most false information about other's beliefs gets spread around when people do this.

9. drfuss

drfuss New Member

From the OP:

"A few Wednesdays ago he had us pray for a lady which was great until he told her "you are no longer you, you are your daughter now" and no one seemed phased by it. I looked it up and it's a Pentecostal belief."

There are some things I would like to know about this so-called pentecostal belief.

1. If the woman becomes her daughter, does the woman cease to exist?

2. If she has a daughter, does the woman replace her daughter or become the daughter's sister?

3. If she replaces her daughter, does the daughter replace some one else?

Since I am very familar with pentecostal beliefs and have never heard of this one, please educate me.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

So it looks as if you, my brother, are saddled with the task of asking the pertinent questions of this prospective pastor in an open forum.

I have this perverse idea. Send this guy an e-mail, alerting him to the questions you plan to ask, and that he should come prepared to answer them. That'll get his attention.

BTW, your church's method may seem a little weird these days, but in the early days of my church, this is exactly how pastors were chosen. The church would call a business meeting, open the floor for nominations for pastor, and take a vote. The one with the most votes was the new pastor. But first, somebody was dispatched to inform him of his election. Sometimes, the preacher was not even aware he'd been elected. Anyway, once informed, he could accept or decline. We actually had preachers decline the election, so it was back to the business meeting to repeat the process.

11. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Is "standing in the gap" a belief?

If so, is standing in the gap the belief that is described in the OP that says a person can become another person, i.e. a mother can become her daughter.

The issue I am discussing here is whether the belief that a woman can become her daughter is a pentecostal belief.

The OP says so:
    "A few Wednesdays ago he had us pray for a lady which was great until he told her "you are no longer you, you are your daughter now" and no one seemed phased by it. I looked it up and it's a Pentecostal belief."

12. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Is this possibly coming from the Word-Faith movement, which has elements of what is called charismania? Many of these unbiblical teachings penetrate the more usually solid pentecostal churches that are not word-faith in origin.

13. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

It may or may not be a Word Faith teaching. I agree that not all penecostals espouse this belief.

The belief of standing in the gap is that I may stand in for my sick relative and be prayed over so that whatever they pray over me, that sick person will get healed.

Now the "mother becoming the daughter" may just be this man's interpretation of it (who knows what he means really), but the term "standing in the gap", is a proxy healing. I have seen and heard of people doing this that have a penecostal background. Whether they've been influenced by WoF, I can't say. Like I said, I've heard of baptist churches allowing this in their services.

And yes, it's possible that it is the "fringe" of the denomination that believe such, but it has gained in popularity.

#33 Bethelassoc, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
  14. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Thank you for responding. When I think of pentecostal beliefs, I assume that this represents the main pentecostal denominations. Some of the smaller pentecostal groups are considered cults by the main pentecostal denominations. It sounds like standing in the gap may fit this category.

The OP says "you are no longer you, you are your daughter now". without explaining that he meant the mother was being prayed for in place of her daughter for her daughters healing or whatever. Since I never heard of this practice, I did not get the connection.

I plan to check with my friend who is a retired Assemblies of God district official to see if the AOG is having problems with this practice.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

I hope the op will let us know about the vote sunday.

16. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Hmm, so you couldn't pronounce his name either, could you?

I'm guessing it's Mo-E-O-Wo Too

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

LOL, nope, just forgot by the time I was typing, lol.

18. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

Sorry guys I had to get some stuff done yesterday. I will definitely let ya'll know how the vote goes.

Moe-EE-o-wo that's how I pronounce it. It's a play on my name (my husbands family has had screen names like that so I decided to do the same :laugh:.) I'm female BTW :)

19. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks for setting me straight, both on your gender and the right way to say your name.

I pray the Lord's blessings on you and your church folks as the deal with this important time in the church life.

20. moeowo2

moeowo2 New Member

Well guys he skirted in by the skin of his teeth. How got the required 75% vote (He got EXACTLY 75%.) Please pray from my family as we are looking for a new church home. Thanks for your prayers.