1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I=Irresistible Grace

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by annie, Nov 19, 2004.

1. annie

annie New Member

I am new to the board.
    I only learned of the Reformed Theology this year.
    I do believe that is what I am.
    Anxious to hear others thoughts on the I of TULIP.

Irresistible Grace means to me that the Holy Spirit helps those that are to be saved to be drawn to God and takes away their heart of stone.

2. Monergist

Monergist New Member

Irresistible Grace commands the dead to live & they arise to walk in newness of life.

3. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Monergist;
    Have you read this scripture?
    Rom 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
    Or this one;
    Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
    If I were you annie I would read the Bible instead of listening to mens Ideas.
    May God Bless You;
    Mike [​IMG]

4. mprivett

mprivett New Member

Have you read this Scripture?

Acts 13:48 - as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

All who were appointed to believe did so.

John 6:37 - "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out."

All the Father give do in fact come.

John 10:27 - "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me."

His sheep follow.

Romans 8:28-30 - Those He foreknew He predestined, and if you keep reading they are glorified. No one falls or jumps out of that golden chain of redemption.

5. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Just where does one find that in scripture? I've never seen anything in scriptures where Grace is commanding anything? Grace is God's behavior toward man, because if he were not behaving in accordance with his Grace, he would be behaving toward man in accordance with His Justice, and the wage for sin would be paid by us! We would die because of our sin. But, as a gift of grace, God gave us his Son Jesus. Jesus atoned for SIN by being the sacrifice that pays the penalty for our sins. WE NO LONGER DIE BECAUSE OF SIN! So my friends we are no longer dead, but alive. We are no longer condemned by sin! The only thing that condemns anyone is their lack of FAITH in Jesus, (John 3:18). God made it that way because of HIS Grace toward mankind.

That which makes us alive forever, is our faith in God, because it is our faith in God though which we are saved.

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

My personal testimony.

Thank God. God dragged me screaming and kicking into His glorious Kingdom. I was not interested in the least. A reluctant bride. Maybe I'd look into it when I was dying but for now thanks but no thanks.
    I knew Him and voted no. I heard Him calling and blocked my ears.

This faith I possess now is mine and was an irrevocable gift. Praise Him who choses and is not chosen.

johnp.

7. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Truth is Johnp, You heard the truth, and you could not dispel the truth, finally coming to faith in that truth. "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free!"

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

ILUVLIGHT & Wes Outwest,

I agree with you that sinners can and often do resist the movement of the Holy Spirit on their lives. Grace is offered as a gift and there will be no conscripts in Heaven. The word, conscript, as you know means 'to enroll into service by compulsion or to be drafted. The human agent/sinner must believe to obtain that most needed grace coming from God which leads us to Heaven. Eternal life is a present possession. [John 3:16]

God's grace can be resisted, thus, the Arminian view of Resistible Grace. Read Acts 7:51; Isaiah 63:10; Jeremiah 19:15. Well, I guess you do not need to reread these verses but a fourth point Calvinist might become enlightened to the truth.

9. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

If Grace is irresistable then Why did God include these passages in the letters to the churches in Revelation 2 & 3?
    What does it mean to "prove victorious"? Doesn't victory imply effort on our part? Therefore isn't our salvation dependent upon our own human effort as well as the saving power of God?

What does it take to keep our robes "white", or to keep our white robes "spotless" Doesn't that take work on our part?

What does it mean to "keep working to the end"?

What does it mean to "have your name blotted from the Book of life" Doesn't that mean that your name had to be written into the book of life at some time, whether before the foundation of the world, or by coming to faith in God during this natural life. Doesn't this passage imply that one can lose their faith and thus have his name removed from the book of life?

If Grace were truly irrestable, there would be no warnings! But, you fail to grasp the true essence of grace. Grace is not a commodity that God hands out like candy. God's Grace is a behavioral trait of God! It is something true of God, something that is vital to the being of God. We all have grace, some are better at than others, but not one of us can give our grace to another. Since we are made in the image of God, what makes you think that God "gives" his grace to anyone?

He behaves toward others in grace, and bestows other gifts upon them such as the gift of the Christ whom God gave to us, to suffer and die in our stead, so that we could, through faith in Him have everlasting life.

God gives the gift of Salvation to us, and that is manifested in several ways that include salvation from sinning, salvation from sickness as I've witnessed in my own life, and not the least, salvation from the Lake of fire for those who have faith in God.

God's grace is resistible, but woe to those who do resist. The consequences of resistance are eternally terminal!

10. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Calvinists also agree that grace is resistible. Irresistible grace simply means that God's grace overcomes our resistance. In fact, we all are resistant to God, because none of us is righteous, no good is in us, and we have no moral ability to will anything toward our own salvation. It accomplishes that purpose for which it is extended. Could Lazarus have resisted Jesus command to come forth? Isa.55:10 -11 very clearly says that God's will is not undone. We contend that God wills the salvation of each and every one of us as individuals. Moreover, we contend that none of us comes unwillingly into God's kingdom and that none that wish to enter are kept out, for if they truly wish to enter, they are of the elect. Calvinists call this "calling," and it is considered irrevocable.

You all say there is only a general call. We say that there are two callings. One is general and the other is individual and can not occur apart from the general calling. We simply believe that nobody has the moral ability to answer the general call. We believe that those that respond to the gospel do so because they are effectively enabled to do so and that this enabling overcomes their previous resistance, because it is from God.

11. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Genembridges;
    Your statement;
    I believe you're wrong about that. In Romans 3:10
    Paul is quoting what a fool ,or (Sinner) says in his heart. Of course we have discussed this before.
    Honestly do you really think that Paul is trying to establish all men as unrighteous when;
    Noah was said to be righteous in Gen6:9
    Joseph was said to be righteous in Mat1:19
    Simeon in Luke 2:25
    Abel to Zechariah in Mat 23:35
    Lot in 2nd Peter 2:7&8 Abraham in James 2:21
    Paul says this in;
    1Th 2:10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblamably we behaved ourselves among you that believe:

Yet because a fool says there is none righteous you believe him.
    Christ didn't come to save the righteous but to save the lost. He actually said so. Indicating there were and are righteous men. In fact if there were no righteous men no one would hear the gospel. Think about it.
    May God Bless You with light;
    Mike [​IMG]