1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I just can't wait...

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Dustin, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Dustin

Dustin New Member

Amid all the NFL playoff buzz, the NBA, MLS, I thought of something just a minute ago: just one month till pitchers and catchers report. I just can't wait.

It's during these long offseason periods, that I think about how rabid everybody is for football. I think about how these guys tackle and run and pass and catch and fumble and kick feild goals and flea flicker. Most everybody foams over it. I think about basketball, how those guys slam dunk and jump higher than I could imagine. It's these times I come to apprieciate what they do, and I understand how people can get so excited about it.

But to me, nothing beats the pennent races, the record chases, the long home runs, 1-0 games, a routine double play, a lazy fly ball to right field, game winning singles in October, and the occaisional 15 strikeout pitching performances. I don't know what it is, but for me, that takes the cake as far as sports are concerned.

I'm waiting for the summer, because summer belongs to baseball.

Soli Deo Gloria,
    Dustin

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Me, too. Nice post. Go Tigers! First season in a long time that I have true hope. Last year I was hoping for .500, which is not really hope. This year, I hope they win it all, but even if they just contend for the playoffs, it will be nice to see. Boys of Summer we beckon you.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Football, especially NCAA football is far more interesting to me for many reasons, but nothing beats the following:

The individual games actually matter.

Unless you are in the playoffs, one baseball loss doesn't hurt you that much. You can rebound. You have many, many, many other games.

In college football, one loss can be devastating to your season. It means they must perform every day to the best of their ability to keep the season afloat.

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yep, the cliche goes, "The baseball season is a marathon..." That's why I think baseball has fell behind football in popularity. Football, like our culture is fast-paced and urgent. Baseball, like yesteryear is deliberate, relaxed and patient. I like both of them, but when push comes to shove, give me baseball for my soul.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm ready for baseball. Go REDS!

Bad news about Vern Ruhle, isn't it?

6. Dustin

Dustin New Member

With such a short season, it can't be any other way. I agree with you here. But with baseball, a team can float right above .500 during the season and get to the playoffs and dominate like the Cardinals did to the mighty :)rolleyes:) New York Mets and the youngters in Detroit.

I find that in football, not always, but most times, you pretty much have a good idea of who's going to win, and more often than not they DO win. Unless it's 2 really great teams. Like LSU and Notre Dame, I'm not that into football, but LSU was just better overall, they were picked to win, they won. Now I thought for sure, the Cardinals were going to fall against the hated Mets, but they won and then I thought for sure it was Detroits year, but again, I was wrong.

Take the NFL now, two really good teams, Chicago and Indy. That's gonna be a good game, I hope Indy wins. But it's not like they're playing the Raiders, they're playing the Bears. The Bears has the same chances of winning as the Colts. It should be a good game.

You have to factor in too, the physical aspects of each game with the length of the seasons, and bringing the best you can to every game. Football wouldn't last if they play anymore games, everybody would be in a coma or something. Baseball has far less harsh phsyical contact as most of the injuries are tendons and hamstrings, so endurance is key.

I don't know what my point was, but I'm gonna quit.

Soli Deo GLoria,
    Dustin

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the best time to live in florida. We can go watch 5 innings of a baseball game, see the starters and leave to get back to work. Nothing better.

If you come down here for spring training, go to the practice fields in the weeks leading up to the exhibition games. You can get closer to the players and, depending on the player, even get into a conversation with them. I've spoke to Nolan Ryan, George Brett, Robinson Cano (last spring). They are usually real laid back.

Once the games begin they want to hurry and leave after they've played their 5 innings so they can get in a round of golf.

And for the first time this spring: GO YANKEES!

8. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

I'm looking forware to managing/coaching a baseball camp for Little League age boys March 5-9. We have got $840.00 raised for the camp for t-shirts, trophies, pizza, pullovers, etc... We teach them how to play and we do it in style. I thank the Lord for opportunities to do stuff like this because I love kids and I love the game of baseball.

9. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Go Astros!!!!!

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preach it, Terry! :thumbs:

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay. Don't wait.

12. JustPassingThru

Site Supporter

Two weeks until the Daytona 500! :laugh: Vrooom!

13. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

:tonofbricks: :tonofbricks: The Daytona 500

14. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just in time for valentine's Day... the pitchers and catchers have arrived! :godisgood:

15. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you live in the right place, winter is the time for baseball. The season is now is full swing. My son's team is 5-1, my daughter's high school softball team is 5-0 and the Hurricanes just swept UCLA.