1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I know what Jesus looks like

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by J.D., Dec 20, 2007.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you ever see that add:

"Wanted: Woman, in view of matrimony. Must like fishing, baiting hooks, cleaning fish, and cooking fish. Must have boat. Send picture of boat."

Ah, that would be the perfect wife!

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh: My husband would answer the add if she had a sportscar though!

What's funny is that I don't mind picking up toads and frogs, but I don't want to touch a worm. Weird.

Ok. Sorry to hyjack your thread.

3. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

I don't have any pictures of Jesus in my house, but it isn't because I don't want any...it's cause I don't have enough money to buy one! :laugh: Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having a picture of Jesus. I understood the point some of you are making, but here's my point...when an unbeliever walks into my house, if I have a picture of Jesus on the wall, they know right away that I'm a believer. Granted, people should be able to see it in your actions and how you live your life but having a picture of Jesus sure makes it pretty plain. :jesus: I don't think it is really important whether or not the picture itself is historically accurate because most people have grown up with the familiar picture of Jesus with dark brown, long hair and being a white man. We won't know until we get to Heaven what he really looks like, so let's just be happy with what we can use to show our beliefs today. :thumbs:

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't see any problem with images of Christ "reducing the Holy to the common". That is the image of what Christ was, the Almighty Creator of the world willingly reduced to a common human baby born in a house for lowly animals and washing the feet of his disciples like a common household servant. Jesus was all about reducing the Holy to be acccessible to the common.

#24 Gold Dragon, Dec 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2007
  5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus also chose common fishermen to be his leaders and used stories about common farmers and shepherds to teach eternal truths to very common folks.

6. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I did notice the [​IMG] . But I still must say that I have a picture of Him in my bible. Admittedly, it's a word picture, not a photo or painting. Isaiah 53.2-3:

2 For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant, And as a root out of dry ground. He has no form or comeliness; And when we see Him, There is no beauty that we should desire Him. 3 He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.

7. D28guy

D28guy New Member

J.D.,

You are correct. When I was growing up we had a big giant monument of a "Family Bible" and it had pictures of Jesus in it as well.

You nailed it! :thumbs:

Long brown hair. Always seemed like He was on the verge of passing out. He sort of resembled a cross between Montgomery Clift and David Carradine...with a bit of Emmy Lou Harris thrown in for good measure. :laugh:

Seriously though, I know exactly what Jesus looks like.

He looks exactly like ME when I visit old folks in a nursing home.

He looks exactly like YOU when you take some food to someone in need.

He looks exactly like YoungMom4 when she comforts a friend who has lost a dear loved one.

Etc etc etc.

Merry Christmas to all!

Mike

#27 D28guy, Dec 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
  8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, thank you so much David! FINALLY, a scriptural response! That's beautiful, man.

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

We must have the same Bible.:laugh: Wait, I don't see any David Carradine in mine - but Clift, yes; and Harris, yes; and fainting, yes.

And I like your sentiment also. Thank you.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

John told us how he looks...

Rev 1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
    15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

And we are made in his image...

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Hey, I like Emmy Lou Harris- Especially the album she recorded with Linda Ronstadt! :)

12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have a recording somewhere of her and Dolly and some guy singing a song I think it's called "Green Pastures", a song about heaven. I used to listen to it over and over. She sings it like she believes it, I hope she does, I know nothing about her spiritually speaking.

13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I don't know much about her either, other than she is good at adapting to many styles.
    Hopefully she didn't just adapt to gospel music.

14. Rex77

Rex77 Member

He Is the the image of the Father.

Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Heb 1:3 Who being the brightness of [his] glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

15. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Thanks, man! :thumbs: I sure hope I resemble Jesus in everything I do...can't imagine anyone I'd rather be like! :jesus: :applause: