1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I know whom I have believed

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by billwald, Jun 22, 2009.

1. billwald

billwald New Member

From a signature line: "I know whom I have believed . . . ."

Is this not the equivalent of "I believe whom I have known?"

If so, then are not "know" and "believe" equivalent?

If not, then how are they different in what the words describe?

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I know a lot of people but I don't believe all of them.

But I know whom I have believed, and I certainly am persuaded...

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think "I know whom I have believed" implies that belief comes before a full knowledge; we know Jesus more after we believe Him (though we do know something when we believe in Him).

I know the One I have believed in, is what I think it is saying. It is not the same as "I believe whom I have known."

4. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Marcia,

You're right. Believe came then knowledge of whom it was you believed. Thus "I know in whom I have believed". So that we can be persuaded that He is able to keep that which I've commited unto him against that day. Love both the verse and the song.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

Young children tend to believe (accept, take at face value) most of what their parent tell them. When they get older the children confirm or reject this information. In the same way, Paul took at face value what he was told about Jesus and then later confirmed it?

6. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Paul didn't take "at face value" what he was told about Jesus. He literally, personally met Jesus. What he knew he had via direct revelation from Jesus Christ.

The context here: Paul encourages Timothy not to be ashamed of him or of the testimony of our Lord, but to be a partaker of the afflictions of the gospel. He then explains that the gospel brings life and immortality to light, whereunto he was made a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the gentiles. For this cause he suffered much, nevertheless he says he is not ashamed, for (or because) he knows whom he has believed, and is persuaded that He is able to keep that which he has committed unto Him against that day. Paul isn't ashamed of the gospel or of the afflictions he faced in preaching it, and that is because he well knows that he is preserved in the hand of Christ and that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared to the glory which shall be revealed in us.