1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I like the old way better

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Terry_Herrington, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Bring back the days where there could be a real discussion concerning bible issues. This new format where the moderator closes threads as soon as they digress to what he believes is no longer profitable makes it difficult to have any kind of discussion. Many times I read a thread I would like to comment on only to find the thread already closed. Other times I see that questions are left unanswered because the thread was closed too early. This situation makes this part of the BB something that is much less appealing that before. Too bad.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Do not blame me or Pastor Bob. Blame the ones who insist on hijacking EVERY SINGLE THREAD and turning it into their own little hobby horse. We are enforcing the BB rules. If you don't like the rules, speak with the webmaster.

Besides, webmaster cautioned us mods a while back about bandwith limitations. We don't have enough room for every thread to go for 10 pages, especially when it's the same old song and dance.

You can help. If you see a post not on topic in any way, report it to the mods and we'll take care of it. [​IMG]

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I agree...almost every thread here that goes past three pages looks like every other thread that has gone past three pages.

Is anything gained by this? Correct me if I'm wrong, but not all endless debates need to go on in public forum.

4. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The problem is the truth that you disliked and deleted a post or closed the thread. Why is the truth that you disapproved?

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is the truth that you disliked and deleted a post or closed the thread. Why is the truth that you disapproved? </font>[/QUOTE]It is precisely for the sake of truth that most of us continue to refute KJVOnlyism with the same old rebuttals to the same old errors.

I post here only because KJVOnlyism is the next real threat to fundamentalism. Fundamentalists held to the truth and survived liberalism, modernism, and pentacostalism/charasmaticism because someone was willing to stand up and refute those that would pervert fundamental Christian doctrine.

I have personally witnessed well meaning people who changed the meaning of God's Word because they thought they knew what the KJV meant and didn't. And this simply because they applied modern meanings to KJV words and phrases.

It is an ugly, divisive fight. But it is necessary to fight and win this debate by affirming the orthodox position on the Bible and Bible translations.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Scott. Keep up the battle. I agree that 'onlyism' is the present site of conflict and we need godly men and women who will stand and say "The emperor has no clothes".

We look back to the 20's and praise God for men who saw the effects of creeping liberalism and modernism. They stood against the prevailing tides.

We study the 50's and rejoice that some fought against New Evangelicalism and the Eccumenical Movement.

We look at the 70's and are blessed that some stood against the 1-2-3-pray-after-me easy believism of Hyles or Graham and stood for the true Gospel message of repentance and faith.

We look at the 90's and appreciate those trying to focus on the second coming, the rapture and the fate of those "left behind".

I believe my children will look at my generation and see the horrors of KJVO, its divisive haughty spirit, its blasphemy against the Word of God and the many good English translations, and ask, "What did YOU do to stop this evil?"

I want to hold my head up high.

7. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Agreed Dr Bob [​IMG]

What is there new to add to the KJVO debate? Its all been done hundreds of times, rather than repeat it all, why not read the archives if the subject interests you. If you want to read about why it is a good thing then there is plenty of pro KJVO threads there, If you want to look at why it is a false doctrine, there is also plenty of threads which will show why that is the case.

I had to learn that the hard way, I have three Sabbath threads in here somewhere that went on many number of pages. We had some great fun with it though. Yet there comes a time when you talk about other things, and not the same fight over and over. Do you really win doing that? Sometimes you can learn more by switching topics and listening to what others have to say, I for one have learnt alot from many different Baptist here and would reccomend it to anyone. I am still strong in my own beliefs, yet we need to realise that we are here for discussion, not to "win fights".