1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I like this part of the CSA Constitution

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOTE: This thread is about the good parts of the CSA Constitution. I realize there are several references to negroes and slavery - I understand - and I do not condone those - if you want to discuss that portion please start a new thread

There are three parts I especially like

1) the Preamble ... "invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God —"...
    (so much for seperation of church and state)

2) Section 8 # 7 - the CSA post office was to be self supporting

3) Article 5 Amendment
    1. Upon the demand of any three States, legally assembled in their several conventions, the Congress shall summon a convention of all the States,...

2. billwald

billwald New Member

The problem with "American" slavery is that, thanks to Darwin, Americans had an excuse to conclude that black skilled people were sub-human and by inference, brown skinned people were semi-sub-human. This the 5/8ths or whatever it was clause in the Constitution. It was their best guess that slaves were that percentage human.

Under Biblical/Jewish slavery the slaves were 100% human and were treated like family. Not that family was teated all that well.

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "--if you want to discuss that portion please start a new thread"

Well, so much for that request!!!!

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe they were as interested in really following God as in protecting slavery and their own economic lifestyle. As is often the case it ended up being a rich man's war fought by poor men ... and I might add by both the North and the South.

I wonder if it worked out that way?

In peace time this probably would have resulted in chaos.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    any other thoughts?

6. billwald

billwald New Member

First, The Constitutional Convention in Philly was to revise the Articles of Confederation. Instead, they produced the 2nd American Revolution which converted the 13 sovereign States into 13 provinces of one federal government.

Second, if Lincoln "believed in" the Declaration of Independence he would have let the Confederacy secede from the United States of America.

Thus I propose the Constitution be revoked and the Articles of Confederation be modified to meet current political conditions.

7. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

I don't know if you realize this, but we lost the war.:tear:

8. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

There is nothing contradictory in a country founded on Judeo/Christian philosophy which also holds to separation of church and state.

Or which establishment of religion do you prefer?

I am always amazed when Baptists deny church/state separation. Or maybe you are not a Baptist?

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

If there's one misconception in history that ought not to exist, it's this one. The north wanted salves excluded from the census to reduce the number of representatives from the south, and vica versa. So a compromise was reached to count slaves at a 3/5 ration so neither side got everything they wanted.

It had nothing to do whatsoever with a slave's "percent human". Slaves were considered fully human and were afforded protections under "natural law", but they were not free citizens.

see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Fifths_Compromise

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't consider my self as qualified for Mensa, but I was under the assumption must High School grads were familiar with the 3/5 compromise including the purpose / background.

Note: J.D. explained it rather well

Of course the interesting part of all this is that the compromise was extremely constitutional!