1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I.M. Haldeman's Prediction Fulfilled Right Before Your Very Eyes!!!!!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Mark Osgatharp, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

I.M. Haldeman was pastor of the First Baptist Church of New York City in the early 1900s when modernism was first gaining a foothold. He was an antagonist of Harry Emerson Fosdick and the other infidels who originally invaded the Northern Baptist Convention.

Mr. Haldeman wrote several books combatting modernism, one of which was "A King's Penknife or Why I am Opposed to Modernism." In it he unmercifully exposed the anti-Christian character of the modernist religion. Chapter 6 of that book was titled, "I Am Oppposed To Modernism Bcause It Means Moral And Spiritual Disaster Of The Rising Generation." Listen to his words of wisdom:

"The new generation is letting itself go.

If it has any standard, it is the standard of exalted personalism and self-pleasing, and self-pleasing at any cost to old law and old custom or old manners.

'Right' and 'wrong' are mere vocables and no longer essential definitions.

With he weakening down of law and self-restraint, there is the over-leaping race for material pleasures. This is the inspiration of the 'get-rich-quick movement;' get money that may be spent on pleasure and more pleasure.

The air is full of speed, hurry, rush, excitement, the fire of fed passions, hunger, always hunger, hunger for something new, something that will stimulate the appetite and gratify it.

No one has time; all are pressed, life is too short to stop and think. The word 'meditate' is no longer in the daily dictionary. The end is always in sight, death and the grave are always beckoning; always there is the feeling that the show is nearly over, that it is time for the curtain to drop and the lights to go out.

'On with the song' and 'on with the dance,' these are the cries, and the music goes faster and more furious, the very sounds of the music are barbaric, appealing to the animal, to the brute sense within, stirring the blood, adding fuel to the fire till passion is at white heat, all law burned away, and the soul giving itself up to its own nakedness or its own nothingness.

Nothing seems more absurd than the old-fashioned idea that human beings should live this life in view of a life to come; that any one should take time in this world to prepare for another.

'The life that now is,' forms the horizon of the vast army of young men and young women coming out of school and college.

All their instruction, all their equipment is for this world.

The picture of Heaven, of a golden city, the felicities of an upper paradise, are to them as baseless as a fairy tale, just as curious, sometimes, just as amusing, but no more worthwhile, than Alice in Wonderland. They are interested in cities here. They care little for the gold whith which the celestial city is paved, gold under their feet does not interest them, it is gold in the pocket, gold to spend down here, that is the supreme objective and the commanding appeal.

Let modernism continue its work of near pantheism, its agnostic attitude concerning the soul and the other side of death, and in a few hurrying years the moral and spiritual ruin of the coming generation cannot be imagined."

May God have mercy on us, the heirs of the modernist world!

Mark Osgatharp

2. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

It may make you happy to realize that we no longer live in a modern world.

Welcome to the post-modern world. A brand new set of challenges are to be found, as are a bunch of different ways to deal with the culture.

3. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Amen Brother Haldeman.

WE HAVE ARRIVED!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Scott,

Yes, we are living in the unimaginable "moral and spiritual ruin" predicted by Mr. Haldeman as the fruit of the theology of modernism.

Welcome to the brink of hell!

Mark Osgatharp

5. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Mark, Just think, it will not be long from now when it will come down to just the Two Witnesses. The whole world, including the relgionist and the humanist, will hate them and kill them. They will celebrate their Death. But Praise God we get the last laugh.
    WE WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IN THE MEAN TIME, JUST KEEP ON STANDING

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haldeman was a preacher of unusual insight, well aware of "his times". Appreciate the good quotation.

I've stood in the pulpit of Harry Emerson Fosdek's church in NYC, now with the name "Baptist" removed. A bastion of liberalism, endowed with $$ and spiritually dead.

This the cursed fruit of Moderism.

7. ScottEmerson

I do believe that more people are coming to Christ in these days than any other time in the history of humanity. That doesn't sound like moral and spiritual ruin.

You seriously misunderstand hell if you think this is it.

8. ScottEmerson

Ironicaly, this is the kind of attitude that the preacher railed against: "No one has time; all are pressed, life is too short to stop and think. The word 'meditate' is no longer in the daily dictionary. The end is always in sight, death and the grave are always beckoning; always there is the feeling that the show is nearly over, that it is time for the curtain to drop and the lights to go out."

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is counter-intuitive. Less than 100 million people profess ANY THING like being truly "born again" by God's grace alone. Out of 6.3 billion that is 1.6%

1.6% openly declare that they believe the true Gospel.

Where does that leave the 98.4% who are Catholic, Mormon, Buddhist, Hindu, Moslem, Orthodox, Animist, Taoist, Confucian, etc etc? By definition of their professed religion they do not accept the Gospel.

When Jesus returns, will He find ANY faith on earth? 1.6% is getting down there pretty low.

10. ScottEmerson

Interesting - where do you get that statistic?

11. John Wells

John Wells New Member

Amen, Dr. Bob!

Many of that 98.6% who claim the name of Jesus are unknowingly and unwittingly helping to usher in the one-world religion and the Anti-christ! Cultural Christians are condoning and openly living in sin; divorce, adultry, all the sins of the world are as rampant within the so-called body of Christ as in the world; more and more are turning to the preaching of what their itching ears want to hear; heresy within the church is, IMHO, at an all time high, and we wonder at the number of conversions taking place today!

Sure there are many genuine conversions taking place, and praise God for them. I don't know about 1.6%, but certainly somewhere between that figure and a max of 10% of church going, "claiming the name of Jesus Christians" are truly saved. Remember, when Jesus returns:

Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ (Matthew 7:22-23)

The "dumbing down" of the gospel and the "tolerance movement" which promotes "your sin is OK, other world religions are OK," etc. will help usher in the conditions for the Anti-christ. People will be "drunk" in their sins, and "drunk" in their religion, and he will perform miracles, signs, and wonders, drawing all that are not true believers to himself.

I've been accused recently of being intollerant. I thank God that I am intollerant of what He is intollerant of, and I'll never cave to the secular humanistic worldview of many false believers today! :eek: I prefer the biblical worldview! ;)

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Am starting a new thread with the stats. They are from 97 (so I rounded up and generalized in saying "100 milion"). I may be mistaken but haven't seen much to contradict it.

13. John Wells

John Wells New Member

From you other thread's data, I see now no contradiction. There are 1.4-6% saved of the entire world population, and about 10-11% of professing Christians who are actually saved (hearts are right with God).

But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. (Matthew 7:14)

14. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

Haldeman obviously read 2 Tim 3 and believed it.
    Woulod that we all would.