1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I need a new study method...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Seth&Mattsmom, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Seth&Mattsmom

Seth&Mattsmom New Member

About 5 years ago I realized what being a Christian really meant. At that time I started reading through the Bible, a book at a time, until I covered all the books. Something I had never done before.
    And I make sure to read every day.

This worked really well, and I think it took me about 2 years to get through the whole thing. Then I went back and started in the Old Testament again, since I need a little more understanding of a lot of it. That took another year.

After that, every time I finished a book, I would pray for God to lead me to the next book in the Bible He wanted me to read. So this has worked very well for me for a while...up until now.

So now I am a stronger Christian, more familiar with my Bible. I am not feeling the push to read from certain books any longer. I still feel the need to get into the Word, but I am starting to just flit here and there, and I am longing to sit down and get meaty. Right now I am reading a Psalm every night to my children, then later I will just thumb around in the New Testament in the gospels, since they are so familiar to me that I feel like I need to refresh myself because I am taking them for granted.

Sooo...any suggestions? How do you do your daily Bible study? Do you just follow a set reading plan? Use Bible study manuals?

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

You could try doing a word study. Pick a passage, and do a word search on particular words and read those passages. If you need a program to help you do that, drop me a PM. It's freeware, and it will let you search in the Greek (so you know you're actually studying the same word), and you don't even have to know Greek to do the search.

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Have you studied all of the doctrines of the Bible or have you done a study of the life of Christ?Based on what you are telling us here those would be my next two steps.

4. mnw

mnw New Member

I would recommend a combination of general devotional reading and specific study.

Here are four ways to read through the Bible in a year. http://www.wholesomewords.org/family/bibleread/biblerea.html Some are more challenging than others.

As well as this devotional type of reading do specific studies. It might be studying a Biblical character, a particular doctrine or just a word as it is used through Scripture.

Whether we read a particular passage or book 100 times or for the first time, there should always be something we need to read.

5. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Have you ever been to a Women's Bible Study class? We will be studying one of the "Following God" series this fall. It is really helpful, because you have some accountability. Also, if there is a passage you don't really understand, there are other women there to discuss things with. Lots of fun and fellowship, too!