1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I need help

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by jlee12489, Jul 29, 2005.

1. jlee12489

jlee12489 New Member

Hi. I'm in high school and i plan on entering full-time ministry for the Lord. But i'm new at all this .. Bible college stuff.

What should i do? Should i go to a secular college first then go to a seminary/college?
    What kind of colleges are good for undergrad and grad?

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I struggled with the same issues and for me, the answer was to go to a regular college, get a regualr degree, then head to a solid seminary for further study. It may depend on what area, if any, you feel led toward.

3. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I'd go to an accredited Bible College.

4. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I attended a secular university for my Bachelor's degree. I did so with the counsel of my pastor at the time. He said the secular school would prepare me just as well for seminary and also give me experiences and relationships with people in the real world that would help me throughout my ministry. I think he was right on the mark and I am thankful I listened to his advice.

But he also warned me that to go through a secular university I would face some of the biggest challenges and tests to my faith that I had ever encountered, and he was right there. If you choose to go the secular route, be committed to staying strong spiritually, and not allowing anyone to rock your faith or trust in God. But see it as time of sharpening where the Lord is preparing you for what is to come in your ministry.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

My daughter faced these same issues when preparing for missions. She chose an accredited Baptist University, but by the end of her freshman year she believed it was a mistake. I'm not sure if I agree with her or not.

On the negative: The quality of her general education in non-biblical areas was not up to par with the secular universities, and the issues you expect would not be at a Baptist University were. She said it was much more upsetting for her to see "Youth Ministers" and "Worship leaders" getting drunk and bragging about who they had sex with than it would have been to hear secular people doing the same thing.

The Positive- She had excellent bible-teachers, and excellent theology and missions teachers. She had many opportunities to actually serve the lord in the mission fields, both home and foreign that would not have been offered to her through secular schools. I teased her about it being, "on the job training."

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Pray and trust in the Lord to guide you, He will. Also talk to your pastor. You could attend a secular university for a BA in religion. However be aware that you will be taught alot of hyper-critical theology instead of Biblical theology. You could attend a solid, accredited Bible College, or Christian college. There are many options. All of the major seminaries (Southern, Southeastern, etc) offer undergraduate degrees.

Martin.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Of course seek the Lord and pray. My recommendation is to go to an accredited Bible College, and major in somthing other than Bible, but be sure to minor in Bible to get a good foundation. Then go off to a good seminary.

8. GodsAmbassador

GodsAmbassador New Member

It depends on where the Lord leads you. I am also entering the ministry, and am starting Bible college this fall. I know a lot of people here will disagree with me, but Crown College in Powell, TN is a very sound, Biblical college. Also a couple others I like are Pensacola, Northland Baptist Bible College, and Maranatha Baptist Bible College (both of those are in Wisconsin). I would pray and see what God wants you to do.

HTH!

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    jlee12489,

Excuse me! But I have watched the thread for sometime and have "held my peace."

An unaccredited Bible college is good, there is a place for it. An accredited BC is even better. BUT! BUT! BUT!. They are only good as far as they may go. You may be preparing to teach at a major university, or be the Director of a Major World Missions Agency, or even to START another Bob Jones University or Pensacola Christian College.

I have two major points to offer then I will back off.

First,
    you need desperatedly to know how to make a living in the real world. A Bible College education may or may not help in that regard. Go to a major university and "Learn a Skill" like credentialing to teach in the (God forbid) public school. Then you will have a way to make a living and will not have to depend on a church or anyone except God to take care of your family. There are many ohter ways that you can learn and survive in the secular world like the great apostle Paul did by "making tents."

Second,
    I know you may hate the word "Regional Accreditation." You may not think that you want to go to those "worldly schools." But, more likely than not, the people with the advanced degrees from public RA schools can start and do ministries where the "Distance Learning," "Donated Doctorate," "He only has 20 years as pastor.....," cannot do!!!!

If you do your work (and I am assuming that you will do excellent work) at a world class university--you can still love God and bring a witness to those there in those places. Many is the time when we "Fun-Damn-Mentalists" have hid our heads in the sand and "have come out from amongst them and be ye separate sayeth the Lord" to own detriment and downfall. We are so "holy" and "Heavenly minded" that we are no "earthly good;" especially in the academic realm. We do not need "to preach to the choir" with the Gospel. We need to engage the culture with the Gospel. I have a BC degree form an RA BC. But, I am so afraid that many times we have a "fort mentality" where we just stay inside the fort and do our own little "separatist's" and "fundamentalist's" thing and look like "Bible Slapping" idiots. Grant you if you take this stance on of the "Jack Hyles Boys" or one of the "Bob Jones Boys" will "separate himself" b/c "your too worldly" and "I'm much more holy that that!"

To recap:

1. Get a "trade degree" from a secular university so you can make a living.

2. Get an Regionally Accredited degree also from the secular univerity so you can go anywhere and do whatever the Lord sets before you.

Next to lastly,
    above all, LEARN TO THINK CRITICALLY; even about your own theology and movement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lastly,
    listen with gravity to all of the foregone posts above. They all speak the truth in love.

I will go now and leave you in peace. Then you can send the little white truck, with the little men in the little white suits, to take me to the little white hospital, with the little white and paddded room.

Because I know that that is what some of you think!!

sdg!

rd

10. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

One testimony: I majored in ministerial training. I never took a day's training in a secular college or an accredited Christian college. But because I can learn and I have integrity, I've never had a problem finding a secular job and supporting my family in the "real" world.

The marketplace is crying for workers: not people who've had extensive training for a field, but people who know how to use an alarm clock and say "yessir" to bosses they don't like.

If you'll focus on making your boss successful, you'll always have a job.

I say go to a Christian school (a real Christian school). You might major in something other than ministerial studies, but take Greek and stay busy on the weekends with some church or outreach ministry.

11. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Always have a plan. If you're not sure of what is the best long-term goal, have a temporary plan for the meanwhile. (If you're not sure where you're going, you won't know it when you get there.)

2. Read everything you can get your hands on.

3. Go to whatever school helps you with item #1 above. Whether it's secular or Christian, as soon as you get there, hook up with some solid believers. There will be some wherever you go.

4. Turn off the TV so that you can accomplish item #2.

12. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My advice would be to attend an accredited, Baptist liberal arts college. I'd suggest majoring in ministry and getting involved in ministries through the college. You should minor outside of the department, though, IMO. Perhaps you could minor in business to have something to fall back on.

This way, you should have general education courses to give you a well-rounded education, but you'll be able to begin your ministerial studies while having a good outlet for ministry through your college.

To all: after sitting through my college hermeneutics class and seeing how bad it can get...I want all ministers to take classes like that ASAP, before much damage can be done :D .