1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I need some advice!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Josh the Baptist, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Josh the Baptist

Site Supporter

Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted. I wanted to get some feedback on some thoughts I've been dealing with concerning some church-related issues. Nothing major, but I'm beginning to feel like I am experiencing burn-out in the area of church culture. I've been a member of the same congregation for about 27 years. I feel like some of the overall practices at my church encourage "routine" rather than true involvement. I'm not thinking in terms of tradition vs. contemporary, but that the overall structure or goals are not focused where they should be. I don't think it's an issue with my church, but much of the culture here in the Bible Belt. Maybe we've missed some things by following a rule of practices and have consequently put God in a box. Have any of you ever felt this way and if so, what actions did you take? Any action at all?

2. Baptist Brother

Baptist Brother Active Member

I don't know what "God in a box" means.

I don't know what routine vs. true involvement means.

Are you just bored?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you give us one or two specific examples?

4. Josh the Baptist

Site Supporter

Hi Salty. Thanks for the reply. I apologize for the vagueness of my post. I think I may be experiencing "burn-out" concerning the format of the church. I am strictly referring to the "routine" of scheduled meeting times. I am beginning to wonder if the established rule of timing is flawed for the majority of our culture. For example, we still observe Sunday School as being a/the premier program for Christian growth(discipleship). It is still held at 10am. My question is: Doesn't it seem unrealistic to believe that an individual can be adequately discipled and taught in such a formal setting. Not to mention that we have less than an hour to thoroughly cover the curriculum before we dart into the a.m. worship meeting. It seems that we are neither focused to worship God and that this Sunday School model was just something tacked on before worship. I don't see it as affective.

Another issue is the second service(p.m. worship) which involves about 50% of the congregation returning to basically do a repeat of the a.m. worship in the evening. I don't understand the significance of having a repeat so much later in the day. It seems that everyone breaks for lunch, returns 4-5 hours later when our bodies are going into evening mode and instead of eating dinner, winding down, preparing for the work-week.........we return to a repeat service. I have no problems with the content as far as singing, preaching, doctrine......it's just that why not just stay longer in the morning or move the service up to the afternoon. It also creates a division in the church. Morning worshipers vs. evening worshipers. I could say much more about what I think should be changed, but I have no authority to push my ideas on the entire congregation. I've been in church all my life and this format has bothered me for years, but now I'm beginning to think that people are attending the same way that they would punch a clock at work. It appears that it encourages "apathetic pew-sitting Christians." Like it's not about the quality of what happens at church but the quantity of meetings I arrend. I'm getting tired. I'm 38 years old and don't want to feel like I'm spinning my wheels in ministry. Do I share my feelings with the pastor, try to find a like-minded church that's not afraid of breaking the mold or stay faithful and continue being a faithful disgruntled member? Thanks

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Josh the Baptist- Am I reading things right that the issue is more about your Church than about your spiritual growth?

Also, to what extent are you involved in the ministry of your Church?

6. Josh the Baptist

Site Supporter

Hi, Rolfe. The issue is strictly the format, the scheduling of the services and the fact that the congregation is dying. I believe the strict rule of "keep on keeping on" creates a ministry model that is failing. If something isn't working should we continue to do it? I don't want to leave the church. Even if I did, I'd have a difficult time finding a new one, because I'd be looking for one that displays similar ideals as myself. I'm afraid that I'm tired of Bible Belt culture. I'm tired of "the church only interested in having church and not being the church." I'm concerned about all of our spiritual growth. I think our congregation has a good head knowledge, but it's not being relayed to the heart, therefore not being put into action.

I've been here for 27 years. I've served as deacon, taught every age group in the church, served on every committee, Educational coordinator, Choir Director, Junior Church Leader, and lots of other stuff.......so you can see where I'm coming from. If something isn't working, we shouldn't be afraid to change it. I believe with all my heart that the lack of discipleship is why the church doesn't see results, revival, etc. This "sitting and listening" to sermons and lessons is not productive unless it is put into action and I believe the church should work together to accomplish this. I'm beginning to think that I need to be at a "house church" with about ten people and cut out all the church fluff.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve been there a couple of times. Church began to feel less like church and more like a para-church activity. We attend a small study group where we go over a lesson but never truly involve ourselves with one another beyond the hour. We attend a worship service where we sing and praise God, but we have no connection to one another during this time. We listen to a sermon and then leave having gone through the motions, void of any type of meaningful interaction with the church as the Body of Christ.

When I think back, I believe that many times these experiences were based on my growth rather than a change in the church itself. I became dissatisfied with what I began to realize was not the church as described in Scripture. Sometimes I think that everything may have been fine with the church, but God was leading my family and me to another. Sometimes I may have been projecting my own struggles or searching onto a church.

What action should you take? You should pray. Something needs to be done. Maybe God is calling you to another church. Maybe to another position or function within your church. As I said, this has happened to me a few times. This past time I moved to another church. It took me over a year, and I talked (tactfully) with our church leadership and pastor about my concerns. I concluded that it was time to move, and that day this was confirmed by my wife coming to the same conclusion. And we left, keeping the relationships we had built at our now former church and keeping a good rapport with our former pastor and ministers.

8. Baptist Brother

Baptist Brother Active Member

You're upset that the service doesn't start or end at random times (you'd be about the only one who'd like that)? You're upset that Sunday School isn't longer (a longer period would only add to your boredom and burnout)? You're upset that the church has an evening service (which you need not attend)?

Do you have any ideas of what you'd like the church to change? Something less vague and more actionable than "more discipleship"? I suppose bailing on your church family is more actionable.

Maybe your church needs a rock band, with the speakers turned up to deafening levels?

I think what most churches need is a greater priority on serving mature Christians rather than pandering to seekers. We have a generation of Christians that are perpetual juveniles.

9. Josh the Baptist

Site Supporter

JonC, Thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences.

10. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would encourage you to get w 3-4 others not necessarily your age to meet with and just pray together.

I would also suggest to read something like Philipians, the Petrine Epistles or read through the psalms together

I have been where I think you are and Im not sure you feel connected to others. Maybe Im wrong?

Please feel free to private message me