I NEED TEXT OF AV1611

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Phillip, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

I guess the easiest way to be seen is to start a new thread. Can anybody provide me with a download site to obtain the text of the King James 1611 edition and possibly various KJV editions after that?

Also, are there downloadable versions of the Bishop's, Geneva, Great Bible and other wunderful translations?

I have photocopies of the 1611, but it will NOT work with a character reader because of the archaic type font.

I am looking for just a downloadable plain text file or one that can be loaded into Online Bible or E-Sword Software. Something I can search or clip and paste.

Surely, King Jame's decree of "Authorized Printing" is no longer valid. :D

2. Deacon

Deacon
    Expand Collapse
    Supporter

An Ebay'er regularly offers a read-only original facsimile of the 1611 edition KJV (and other earlier bibles too) for about 6 bucks a CD. Do a search there.

It's looks nice, since it includes the carvings and fancy scrollwork but you can't copy and paste to other sources.

Rob

3. Phillip

Phillip
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

I've already got that Rob. In fact I'll send you a copy if you want to PM your address.

In fact, you can download the first page of each major section (The Old Testament, the apocrypha and The New Testament) from my website.

Please note, the website is NOT up to date. I need to clean it up and update it. More than anything I am holding the name until I find someone who wants it bad enough to assist in my "eliminate my poverty" cause. :D

You need the free acrobat reader, because it is a "pdf" file.

www.baptist-church.org/example.pdf

What I AM looking for is one that is NOT pictures, it is real text that I can search or clip and paste.

Anyway, thanks for the help. [​IMG]

Maybe the Guttenberg project has this. Their site is just not real user friendly though.

4. Phillip

Phillip
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

Nah, Guttenberg only has the Duoy-R., the KJV and WEB Bibles. Considering all the books they have it seems strange they wouldn't be stocking every single English variant in the public domain. Oh well, they are secular...

5. Deacon

Deacon
    Expand Collapse
    Supporter

I've got that CD too. It's rarely used, more of a novelty than useful.

Studylight offers a number of early translations, (not 1611 KJV though).

http://www.studylight.org/desk/?

Here's a sample of what you're stepping into. :rolleyes: Yuck!

1 In the bigynnyng God made of nouyt heuene and erthe. 2 Forsothe the erthe was idel and voide, and derknessis weren on the face of depthe; and the Spiryt of the Lord was borun on the watris.

3 And God seide, Liyt be maad, and liyt was maad. 4 And God seiy the liyt, that it was good, and he departide the liyt fro derknessis; and he clepide the liyt, 5 dai, and the derknessis, nyyt. And the euentid and morwetid was maad, o daie.

From the Wycliffe Bible (1395)

Rob

6. Phillip

Phillip
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

Thanks, But that is what I need for some of these posts. So many of the KJV's think they have a 1611 and I would like to clip and paste scripture when they quote it and let them see just exactly WHAT their scripture looks like.

Have a great weekend and even better Sunday!

7. Phillip

Phillip
    Expand Collapse
    <b>Moderator</b>

esword.net has the Geneva Bible with their free software. They even let me download the ESV without charge. Hmmmmmm. I'm still looking. [​IMG]