1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

i need to ask a question

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by norma-jeane, Dec 8, 2003.

1. norma-jeane

norma-jeane New Member

I'm new to the baptistboard, in fact I'm not a baptist at all, but I have a question I'd like to ask and if anybody could answer I'd really appreciate it.Recentey my sister commited suicide, my parents are Catholic but my mother's parents are Baptist and they didn't come to the funeral service. My mum said it was because they lived too far away but I was wondering if perhaps it was a religious thing, I know that it was looked on as a sin in Catholic Churches a while ago and I thought this may have been the reason they didn't show?

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Hi Norma-Jeane (I love your name, BTW!) [​IMG]

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( [​IMG]

It is too hard for any of us to say why your grandparents didn't come, but I suspect your mother is correct that distance was the reason. I don't know of any "religious" reason why a Baptist would not go to the funeral of a Catholic family member who committed suicide. Maybe you should write them a letter and simply ask them - they are probably hurting deeply over the whole thing, and would love to talk to you about it.

God bless,
    Brian

3. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Hello Norma Jeanne,

I am a Baptist Pastor who has ministered in the Rep. of Ireland, where as you know 96% of the people are Roman Catholic. Whilst living there I attended several Roman Catholic funerals to pay respects to the diseased and sympathise with the family. In June of this year I attended the funeral of a young man who committed suicide.

I am quite sure your grand parent's absence was not for religious reasons. I think Brian T has well advised you to ask them if the reason was really religious. I too am sure that you will find it was not and they will be happy to put your mind at rest.

Sorry to hear of your family's loss.

David.

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

HI Norma Jeane, I agree with both my brothers. There is only one unforgiveable sin and suicide is not it. I would think your grandparents are mourning greatly but the expense was probably more than they could handle. Let it go.

Meanwhile, I am so sorry for your loss.

God bless,
    Diane

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Norma Jeanne,

I am so sorry for your loss. As a missionary pastor in the Irish Republic I too have attended many catholic funerals, including one for a young man who committed suicide. There is nothing in any baptist teaching that would preclude that. Talk to your grandparents.

6. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Norma-Jean, sorry about your loss [​IMG]

Being a catholic funeral would not be a reason for not attending. Recently I (and i am a baptist) went to a funeral in the local catholic church as it was for a guy who had worked with me in the past. No problems with it.

May God give you peace and comfort.

Regards
    Bob

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A few years ago one of my supervisors fell off of a building and died immediately. Both of my supervisors were on the same building. Earier one of them slipped and the other caught him. Later the other fell and the one man tried to hang onto him but his hand slipped past too fast and the man fell. The one who saw everything did not come to the funeral because it was so much for him to bear. I had a long discussion with him and along with that he told me the entire story and how he felt so guilty. His life was spared and the others was not. Sometimes it is almost unbearable for some.

I don't know the exact reason for your grandparent's not attending. But give them some grace. It may have been both a hard thing for them to handle and another for them to travel. As people get older it is often harder for them to travel.

As you grieve give them the time to grieve also.

Hope this helps.

8. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

Norma-Jeane: First, my sympathies on your loss and prayers as you grieve.

The others have said what needed to be said on your question directly. May I add one biblical insight which has helped me on the issue of suicide and the question, which always seems to come, "Can a person who commits suicide enter heaven?"

Samson deliberately took his own life (Judges 16:28-31), in a violent tragedy. Yet he is listed in Hebrews 11 (verse 32) among the heroes of faith in "God's Hall of Fame" - quite evidently a record of people of faith, surely people whom we may consider "saved." Of course suicide and violence are not good things, but God is still in charge.

Remembering you in prayer, Bro. Blair - Romans 8:28

9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Because the opening post on this thread was posted by a poster who is not a Baptist I am closing this thread here in a Baptist Only section of the BB and moving it into Other Religions/Doctrines Forum that is open to all Christians.

Bible-boy,
    Forum Moderator