1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I PETER, 3:18-22 AND 4:6

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Alex, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Alex

Alex New Member

1Pe 3:18 Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
    1Pe 3:19 in which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison,
    1Pe 3:20 that aforetime were disobedient, when the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water:
    1Pe 3:21 which also after a true likeness doth now save you, even baptism, not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the interrogation of a good conscience toward God, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ;
    1Pe 3:22 who is one the right hand of God, having gone into heaven; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

1Pe 4:6 For unto this end was the gospel preached even to the dead, that they might be judged indeed according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

These scriptures are noted as being the hardest to get a proper meaning to. The following are a few questions:

When did He go?

To whom did He go to?(who was the Spirit in prison)?

What did He preach to them?

Who are the dead?

God Bless.............Alex

2. Alex

Alex New Member

This must be tougher than the Preacher sid, with NO responses???

God Bless.........Alex

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's my take on this, for what it's worth:</font>
    • God judged part of the fallen angels who cohabited with women prior to the flood</font>
    • The fallen angels in a special place (tartarus); fallen humanity in sheol/hades</font>
    • Christ died and in the spirit went to Paradise (another part of sheol/hades, for the righteous dead) as He promised the thief "today, you will be with me in Paradise"</font>
    • While in the abode of the dead (sheol/hades/paradise, the newly crucified Jesus took the opportunity to share the Good News that salvation had come - probably to all groups (fallen angels in tartarus, unregenerate man in hades, and the saints in paradise)</font>
    • At the end of this He "ascended on high and led captivity captive", taking the saint from paradise to heaven</font>
    • Now, if we die we are "absent from the body and present with the Lord" in heaven; paradise is empty</font>
    It is easy for us today to think in heaven v hell, black and white. The Bible develops the full teaching of heaven and hell as much more.

But as with Noah being saved from the floodwater by GRACE ALONE, so we all will get to heaven some day by that same amazing grace.

Hope this helps start the discussion.

4. ByGrace

ByGrace New Member

Hi Alex,

I believe the "spirits now in prison" is described in verse 20 as those who were disobedient when God waited patiently for Noah to finish building the ark. They had rebelled against the message of God during the 120 years the ark was being built. The "spirits" referred to in verse 20 are probably the souls of the human race that existed in the days of Noah. Those souls are now "in prison" waiting for the final judgment of God.

When and how Christ preached to these "spirits" is another matter for interpretation. I was taught that the "preaching" was actually the preincarnate Christ in Noah ministering to the folks of that day. The Spirit of Christ preached through Noah to the ungodly humans who at the time of Peter's writing were "spirits in prison" awaiting final judgment. In 2 Peter 2:5 Noah is described as "a preacher of rightousness."

In HIs love,
    Grace

5. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I'd give Dr. Bob an "A" on his response and ByGrace a "B+" Both very good answers. I'd give you my response but it is only a "C-" and that is just because I like me. :D

6. Alex

Alex New Member

Both responses were great!! I hope there will be more. These post go along with Baptist Theology however, at the best, these are opinions as there is no HARD evidence. I do not intend this to be taken wrong about the post thus far.

As some have asked, why are these scriptures so hard to put in a proper perspective OR was this only meant for those at the time that "understood" the meaning better than those who dealt with writting the condensed Bibles from the Scrools?

God Bless.............Alex

7. Alex

Alex New Member

Well, I think the two who posted although I had hoped that some would have other opinions. Maybe from some non-Baptist? At any rate thanks as this will have to suffice,it seems!

God Bless..........Alex