1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I really miss contemporary worship

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 5, 2012.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was just listening to some old videos of the days when I was in the Christian & Missionary Alliance. Those guys were far more vibrant in their worship, and expression of God. Much, much more creative and colorful than Baptists whom I have not been as impressed with their worship. Baptists in general seem very very routine, and have very little creativity. I think I need to do some hunting on iTunes for some tunes. I am more aligned with the Baptist Theology, than the Charismatic theology in the Christian & Missionary Alliance, however I do very much deeply miss their worship. Is heaven going to be boring and routine? No I think God gave us creativity for a reason, and many Baptists are going to be real surprised when they get there and learn that God has more than one flavor of music.

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Since I moved south, I haven't found the inspirational preaching or the stirring up-lifting song services that I enjoyed in Michigan. The southern Baptist preachers are a bit more boring than what I'm used to hearing. The song services in the southern Baptist churches are also slow and boring; even fast songs are sung slowly. It feels like we're in a funeral.

I was a soloist and song leader for 40 years, but now my allergies are so bad that I can no longer sing. Up north I had no problem finding churches that needed a song leader, but down south the pastors lead the singing in many of the Baptist churches and won't give it over to anyone.

3. A Faithful Sidekick

A Faithful Sidekick New Member

My church has a sweet mix of new and old, but great care is taken to examine the words and theology of every musical selection. You don't find many non-Charismatic Presbyterian churches where the people feel free to lift their hands as well as their voices in joyful worship, but it's one of the things I really like about ours. I shall miss it greatly if the Lord leads me to a Reformed Baptist church in my exploration of Baptist theology and practice.

Yet even the most "boring" of music can be the sweetest form of worship. During my journey I was part of a tiny little church that practiced exclusive psalmnody (the singing of only the psalms - scripture that was written to be sung as well as read) without any instrumental accompaniment. Sounds "boring" to define it, but it was some of the sweetest and most pure and satisfying worship I've ever known.

Always in search of balance,
    Robin

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern Baptist? You should try Independent Fundamental Baptists as they are even more traditional. I see what you are saying and myself kinda miss contemporary praise worship.

5. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

To tell the truth, I feel like Baptists shy away from the whole idea of worship. It is as if they are turned away by some of the extremes of the charismatics and would rather have none at all, then to seek a balance. If we serve such a great God as He is, than why not? There is nothing wrong with praising Him audibly before others, as long as the glory is going to Him and not drawing attention to oneself. I, for one, would like to see more passion and a spirit of worship rather than the routine and complacency that seems to reign in the conservative churches.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone has an opinion on how to do worship. I do not agree with churches that do not use instruments and they would have a hard time rebuffing those whom do not agree with their style of worship. But in secondary matters there is FREEDOM in Christ, and thats the joy of it all.

7. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Since his "southern" wasn't capitalized, I don't think he was talking about the denomination, but the geographic region. Either way, I've been in IFBs where the worship service was totally traditional, but the ones I enjoy the most sing hymns as congregations, but then the special music is more flavored towards southern gospel.

Even hymns can be exciting and not boring. For instance, the song "Saved, Saved, Saved" can get people excited, especially if the song leader is excited. It's not uncommon in the churches I attend for people to start shouting (in a IFB no less!) during the worship service. Raising hands and shouting are encouraged, and I've even seen people start running around the auditorium. Now, personally, I wouldn't ever run around an auditorium, and have even wondered if that part was for show. But I am not going to judge someone. If they feel led to do that, then I let them. Even if they are doing it just for show, it can get other people excited. So what they might have meant for glory to themselves, God can use to bring glory to Him.

8. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I will admit that I led the singing yesterday - and often plan the music. It was only because - for two weeks in a row - our music leader was away for the weekend and didn't give any advance notice. Also, our music leader "doesn't have time" to plan Sunday's music, which I can't bring myself to let go undone.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

It's okay if you weren't impressed. It wasn't for you.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

There's no Baptist way of worship, unless we want to go back to the first Baptists who didn't sing at all, for a few years, in early Baptist beginnings.

11. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe there are two competing theories of worship these days.

One sees worship services as us supposed to be bringing something to God.

The other sees worship services as us receiving God's gift to us.

I've seen both held strongly in the Reformed camp.

I fall into the second theory, and worship at a church that sees church services as God bringing us His good gifts and grace rather than us trying to please God with the service.

We do all kinds of music--slow, fast, hymns, contemporary, etc.

But always the focus of both the lyrics and the music is about bringing us to understand and receive God's grace rather than us trying to please/appease God.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Kinda seems to have some roots in Catholicism to me, what with the robes and choirs and such. That's always made me wonder why we are patterned that way and if it could be the reason so many arguments over it continue. I wonder if all the arguments over style happen as much in all the other denoms? Maybe that's a question for the other religions forum. Hrm.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Well, I really don't think we should make too much of a big deal over music as long as it glorifies God. Music is all through Scripture, even in heavenly visions in Revelation.

Neither do I think one type of music is prescribed.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you're going to do rock, do it right. Make sure the back-up singers are absolute babes. Not only should the music be appealing, but so should the appearance of the group. Nothing takes away from the overall worship experience than to have older, less-in-shape white women on the stage with a powerful, vibrant rock band.

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Why would it be different if they're not white?

16. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't forget the tattoos.

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think the time preparingb before the praise and worship importanr, for if we get ourselves in a place where able and willing to worship jesus, regardless of the style of music, can heartily praise the lord!

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    hey, Alice cooper is a baptist, used to live here in metro Detriot, so he might be song leader one day!

Eminem is strill living part time here in Warren Mi, and some attending my church know him, so maybe he could come in and give us a jesus rap off?

IF the Lord saved him, would look forward to that!

19. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

And Not To Forget........

And please...if you are going to really take the plunge...don't forget the "painted-on skin tight jeans",the spiked neon-colored hair and the piercings out of every visible appendage from the neck up! And don't forget to turn up the volume so loud on the instruments that there is no possible way of hearing the watered-down "Gospel" or "Worship"(so-called) lyrics. Now THAT is really GOOD CCM at it's finest! That is Deeper life Christian living at its culturally relevant very best. And the folks that are immersed in this stuff will fight to the death to defend it!

:tear:Greg:BangHead:

20. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Well there goes the broad brush again. I suspect there are many CMA church that do not have what you call "contemporary worship". Also you have not defined just what contemporary worship is. Are you talking about the contemporary loud, drum beat music, or are you just talking about music other than the older hymns when you say contemporary music.

Personally, we like the slower, contemporary music without the loud irritating drum beat or the off beat music that is hard to sing to. We also like the old hymns that have so much truth and worship in them. What we don't like is when they take an older hymn and play it to a contemporary beat.