1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I say tell them

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, May 14, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you agree with Abbys answer?

DEAR ABBY: From time to time, my husband and I are asked by some friends to dine out with them. However, the wife does some things that make us very uncomfortable. She prides herself on being friendly and outgoing. When we’re in a restaurant, she’ll go from table to table and engage in conversations with people she doesn’t know. She’ll ask where they’re from, what they’ve ordered, etc.
    Once, she eavesdropped while the people at the next table discussed what they were ordering and gave them her opinion on what they should “really” order. It progressed to her joining them for a short time at their table for further conversation.
    While I appreciate that she’s trying toimpress us, it embarrasses my husband and me. How do we handle the situation without telling her, making her feel bad and putting a strain on our friendship? We don’t enjoy dining out with them like we used to. Are we overreacting, or is this bad manners? — Mortified in Salt Lake City

DEAR MORTIFIED: If you and your husband are dinner guests, the lady should be devoting her attention to you and not the other diners in the restaurant. To leave you and go table-hopping is rude. However, to call her on it would be equally rude. So, because you don’t enjoy dining out with them the way you used to, do it less often and it will be less upsetting.

2. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

I agree with Abby's answer.. I'd just not go out to dinner restaurants with her..i'd probably encourage a change in setting..like dinner at our place hehe

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

What a bizarre thing to do.....I would be gobsmacked. To me it ranks on other horribly rude behaviour like talking on a mobile phone....take it outside if it is an important call...no-one wants to hear about your affairs, or the shootable offence (IMHO) of eating with your mouth open.:flower:

4. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Absolutely I agree! If what she does bothers you, stop going out with them! If you want to continue the friendship then change the venue to where she has no one else to impress.

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have to know if it really boils down to an act of “pride” about being friendly and outgoing, …or if this could possibly be more an issue of “jealousy” making …“them” (err, more likely “Mortified”)… “uncomfortable” of her "friend" being friendly and outgoing which leads to these accusations of pride and her trying to impress… “them”.

I can’t help to be suspicious of what appears to be euphemisms that “she will go from table to table”, and how she “eavesdropped” and then I get a whiff of dysphemism in ..."Mortified"...“innocently” asking “are we overreacting” and also after the use of what appears to be euphemisms and it seems the “well has been poisoned” against her “friend” poor “mortified” brings it all “innocently” to a climax with the question “or is this bad manners?”

:tonofbricks:Did I really just get involved in a Dear Abby discussion? I seriously need to make better use of my time! :tonofbricks: