1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I See A Need - Can You See It?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, Apr 7, 2015.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While being seen by my Cardiologist a couple of months back he starts in telling me what I need to eat..., and not eat..., and what lifestyle I should lead and what to stay away from such as, the ills of tobacco, fried foods, etc., only to finally bring to a conclusion of his instructional time by mentioning I should be concerned about my "Quality of Life" as I grow older.

...this doctor of mine is a couple three years older than me making him probably about 73.

I couldn't resist asking him if he's ever visited a Nursing Home. I was shocked at his answer when he honestly replied that, "No, I've never been to one". I responded by telling him he should visit one and then talk to me about the Quality of Life. I've sense found another doctor.

I was shocked.

How many of you have visited a Nursing Home? Wow..., talk about a mission field. Elderly people are pushed into those cubicles and while the owners of said home are really only interested in counting their money those cast away family members are stuck counting the days until they die.

Many of these Nursing Home INMATES would give anything to attend a church service. They are at the end of their lives and desperate. Nobody wants them around anymore and often, no one from their family even takes the time to visit.

Have you a bus ministry? If so use it. Bring those who "can and will" under the gospel before it's too late for them.

If you haven't visited a Nursing Home (ever) just go one time and witness first hand the hopelessness these people face on a daily basis and remember this, you might find yourself in the same situation some day real soon.

Go.

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I had a precious Aunt(my dads sister) who ---- her and her husband never had children---so the nieces and nephews WERE their childen--------(about 3 generations of us)

Her latter years were spent in a nursing home in Louisiana---the nieces/nephews would visit regularily---probably not a day that went by that one of us(n's & n's) wouldn't be part of her day there

She'd often ask me when I'd visit(weekly)----God has a reason for my being here---what is it? Why does God want me here in the Old Folks Home??(that's what she called the Nursing home)

She'd ask

What purpose does God have for me here?
    Why am I here?
    Whats the reason for being here?

One particular day I arrived to visit---she wasn't in her room--so I asked the desk nurse----Where's Ms Laura??

She said----OH, she's gone down to the Activity room----you just missed her---she's down there, though!!

So I walked down the long hall---and turned the corner to the activity room---and there she was---in the center of the row of tables with her back turned to me----I saw her but she didn't see me

I backed away back behind the corner where I came from and started cryin' like a baby-----my aunt had her Bible open ----- and a big magnifying glass we had bought her looking down at her Bible and was reading outloud to all the other men & women gathered around her.-----made me wonder ----- how many men & women in that room there---that was gonna be the LAST time they hear Scripture being read before they breathed their last breath and were gone??

I straightened myself up from crying---and walked back into the room and sat down next to where she was-----when she saw me she wanted to stop reading where she was at and go back to her room to visit with me------but I told her------NO, AUNT LAURA!!! KEEP READING TO US! KEEP READING TO US!! We want to hear what the Lord Jesus has to say to us!!!

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you Blackbird for that touching account of your Aunt.

Notice though what you said..., "...the other men & women gathered around her."

There is a need and so many churches are missing that opportunity.

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think maybe she is fulfilling her role - tho' in her mind she's just "being her"!
    I don't really know what my job is re: His kingdom, but I do trust the Holy Spirit to lead me, and hopefully in so doing I will fulfill that purpose whether I'm aware of this or not.
    Knowing my penchent for PRIDE, I often pray that I will do His will unknowingly since I will not be able to garner PRIDE for something that I'm unaware of.
    I strongly suspect your aunt fits in the category of "doing w/o realizing it"! Hopefully a lot of us do!!

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

We've got several nursing homes/assisted living centers in our area. We get to place a lot of our young preachers and older preachers with them so that they can get the experience of preaching regularly.

The people in these facilities LOVE it. So many of them have been churched for so long that they are just really excited that someone would come in and do a church service for them

It truly is an incredible mission and service field.

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

We made a roster of the men/women of our church in the nursing home---and once a month myself and deacons would go to each of those and have them "Observe the ordinance of Lord's Supper" with us gathered around!! Like you say, Brother Zaac-----they love it!!!

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, having been part of licensing and complaint inspections of nursing and care homes for my first few years with the State of California, I can say that church ministry to these places is a fantastic opportunity for all of us to play detective in looking for good care versus poor care. It can covertly be incorporated into the visits, without anyone be wise to it, and you have done more than minister to the spirit; you have ministered to the proper care of these folks. Keeping in mind, that all of us could some day be in a home.

BUT, even more important, I'd like to suggest that all churches, pastors and individuals that visit homes regularly (or a not so regular basis), have their camera phone handy to photograph suspicious treatment of elderly.

You and I are the eyes and ears for these folks, so strong urine or fecal smells, dirty clothing and poor personal hygiene, bruises, bed sores that are not tended to, dirty floors, dirty bedding, unanswered calls for help, bugs and other creepy crawly things, cold food (that should be served warm) or foul smells or tastes coming from the food, dirty bathrooms (always find a moment to check on public and private bathrooms), among other things should be reported to the state licensing agency.

It is not wrong for anyone to report suspicious events or incidents, and you may just be helping a senior citizen escape elder abuse or poor treatment and services.

So, please, if you are visiting homes and conducting services, keep an eye open for things that you do not feel comfortable with. You can remain anonymous when reporting, and like I said, you may make the difference between good care and poor care. You may not know all the laws regarding homes for the elderly, but, look around thinking about how you'd want the place, its food and paid staff to be if you or a loved one were being kept there! Shalom! :type:

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RD2..., way too many so-called "nursing homes" are but depositories which lack any resemblance of providing nursing care.

But the more important issue here that way too many of "us Christians" overlook is the spiritual needs of these elderly. Quite obviously these folks exist from day to day realizing they are just waiting to die and I'm sure that all of them ponder their lives realizing they have come up missing the mark.

What a fabulous opportunity just waiting for either a ride to church; to be around other people; to watch the kids hunt their Easter Eggs; to enjoy a congregational meal; to just come to the saving knowledge of Jesus.

...and here we sit.