1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I Suspect Demon Possession, What Say You?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Mar 9, 2016.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a bizarre story that spans from Idaho to Washington DC, a former Marine was arrested outside the White House last night on charges of attempted murder. The man, Kyle Odom, had shot his pastor on Sunday and then fled to Washington to give President Obama a message regarding the amphibious Martians that he says control the Earth. The pastor, Tim Remington was shot several times in the head yet survived the attack, one church member calling it a miracle. On Saturday Pastor Remington was a speaker at a Ted Cruz rally and had prayed for the candidate.

The man left a post on his Facebook page and also delivered a 21 page "manifesto" (http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/khq/ODOMDOCS.pdf) to media outlets detailing what he says is his experiences with the aliens.

It all started when Odom was experimenting with meditation and extreme states of consciousness. He said one time he had an out of body experience, which was peaceful until he saw a blue light approaching him and sensed it was another being. From here things started spiraling out of control for Odom. He started believing that people around him were aliens, intent on making him into the next "school shooter". He began seeing hidden meanings in newspaper headlines and thought people near him could read his mind.

He began attending the Altar Church in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. During his first visit there he said he felt something very wrong and was so uncomfortable he had to leave. Pastor Tim Remington would text Odom Bible passages, which Odom interpreted as being threatening. In his Facebook page he says he knows there is no God and that the Bible was written by the Martians, religions were invented to divide people.

The whole story can be read here:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...anifesto-is-a-window-into-an-unraveling-mind/

It seems to me that this person opened up his mind to demonic influences when he was meditating and they just moved in and took over. Thoughts?

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not write this in jest, but does anyone else think that his drawing of the "alien" looks like Seuss' Grinch? A bit creepy.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, first thing I thought when I saw it.

4. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As to the OP, I wouldn't be surprised to learn demons were involved. But, short of Heaven, I don't expect to have a definitive answer.

5. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm one of the last people to blame demons for this sort of thing, but consider:
    • Odom got uncomfortable in church
    • he thought the Bible verses were threatening
    • he shot his pastor and wanted to shoot the assistant pastor
    • he says the Bible was written by Martians
    • he says religion was an invention to control people
    • he heard voices in his head telling him to kill people, including himself

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe demonic. Maybe schizophrenia. Maybe both.

His writing reminds me of a patient I met years ago when I worked on a psychiatric ward.

Sent from my TARDIS

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A demoniac's conclusions: extraterrestrial life, no God (meaning Evolution), and religion divides people.

Maybe he's just a Democrat.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In all seriousness, though. Yes, this is demonic.

Caught this documentary a while back. It is not for the faithless, or little kids. Be warned. These folks live in fear, and the things they've experienced are real. Though produced by nonchristian individuals, they do feature one individual who conquered the manifestations in Christ's name, and they don't attempt to ridicule or demean her—probably because of their shared experiences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightmare_(2015_film)

I watched it on Netflix. Don't know if it's still there.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not downplaying the possibility of demon possession. However, those symptoms are also seen in schizophrenia.

10. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who's to say that scizophrenia is not caused by demons?