1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I think most Baptists have Romans 7 totally wrong

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jygf77, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An unwholesome word is what? That which offends ann?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Have you watched TV lately? Don't tell me you don't know what unwholesome words are. :rolleyes:

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. That which our culture knows is unwholesome. Even the world knows they are bad words. Why else would heathens apologize to me if they say something bad when they know I'm a Christian? It speaks volumes when an unsaved person knows better than a saved person.

4. AnotherBaptist

AnotherBaptist New Member

Actually, I base it off of this passage:

Sin in the Christian's life comes through the flesh (or it's members). While it is true that our Soul cannot sin and we have the Power of the Holy Spirit to overcome, resist and defeat sin in our lives, it doesn't mean we always will and when we do fail, it is because of our still present sinful flesh. Our Redemption isn't just about our Souls. It's also about the ultimate release of our bodies from the presence and effect of sin. It happens when the Church gets gathered/changed together, alive or first resurrected.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just pointing out that this is an appeal to nature, or common knowledge, not to Scripture.

Why else would heathens know that rock music ain't church, it's sex and drugs?

Exactly.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've seen sex and drugs amongst those who are into classical music. It's not the music but the culture that uses the music.

It's like candles. Are candles sinful? Well, they evoke emotion, are used in rituals and are used in sexual daliances. However, they're also used on my almost 7 year old's birthday cake. Does that make the birthday cake evil and sinful? Nope.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Music is not an object. It is an action, but that's a topic for another thread. My point is that you're arguing against your own logic, and It's a hoot!

8. jygf77

jygf77 New Member

Hello, Christ is Risen!

For some reason this thread came to mind as I was meditating on Romans 7 the other day, and I've realized I easily could have been partially wrong in my original post.

Specifically, I'm referring to where I said:

I could have been wrong there. Paul very easily could have been (and I now believe actually was) referring to himself in the present. However, the "evil" he does not want to do that he refers to is unintentional sin. So the point remains the same. I also wouldn't be surprised if that is a common orthodox understanding of the passage. I haven't looked into that yet though. Regardless, the conclusion that we must avoid intentional sin to work out our salvation, by grace obeying Christ's command "be perfect," remains.

I suppose that may mean that, likewise, John could have been talking about present unintentional sin in the passage I cited from his letter towards the bottom of my original post. However, I tend to still think he was referring to past sin there, given the grammatical structures he uses. In any event,

May God's peace guard your heart and mind. In Christ,
    jygff77

9. jygf77

jygf77 New Member

Dear AnotherBaptist, Christ is Risen!

My joy, I apologize. I think you may have misunderstood me, and it is my fault. What I meant here is that people think all Christians are *always* at war with *intentional* sin (and by war I mean sometimes intentionally sinning, sometimes not intentionally sinning). Of course all Christians sin unintentionally; we're all human. However, the goal of the Christian life (the achievable goal that indeed we must achieve to be saved by His grace unto Life everlasting) is to stop sinning unintentionally. God only knows true intent, but we have to do our best. Christians can be perfect in intent, and indeed must always strive to be until God sees fit to give us His absolutely perfect holiness.

May God's peace guard your heart and mind. In Christ,
    jygff77

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just want to know are you sin less today? Christ said there is no man with out sin. Our spirits have been regenerated but what of our flesh. It has not been saved nor has it been regenerated or born again. What you fail to see is that we are free from sin but our flesh still has sin dwelling with in it.
    MB

11. marke

marke New Member

You're right, but I'm not sure the matter will get much fair attention at this rate. I believe there is much in the scripture still unknown and still sitting on the coffee table next to the chair by the TV.

12. marke

marke New Member

We should not be too hasty here. This subject deserves a fair hearing. Let the poster present the case and then we can comment on what he has said instead of what we think he is saying.

13. marke

marke New Member

The Bible sets the bar rather higher than lower for the Christian walk. Of course we sin, but we can gain victory over sin and can even walk above sin if we manage to enter into the proper mature relationship with the Lord. The point is, we are not any better Christians to be able to avoid sin in our lives, it is that we find the total victory over sin in life by walking with God.

We have a new nature which is spoken of in 1 John 3:9 as being without sin. But we also have a carnal, fleshly nature in which dwelleth no good thing, as spoken of by Paul in Romans 7 and in Gal. 5:16-17:

"This I say, then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would."

Here is the paradox: If we walk in the Spirit we SHALL NOT fulfill the lusts of the flesh, but, in our flesh, we CANNOT DO the things that we should. These things are not contradictory, but teach the same thing.

There is a secret, which I believe the OP was onto, which must be taught and learned by God's people if they are to ever walk pleasing to God. God is not pleased with Christians slogging through life in the flesh. They that are in the flesh cannot please God. How can we ever hope to 'walk in the Spirit', then?

I won't go farther for now, but I will leave this:

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live." (Rom. 8:13)

14. marke

marke New Member

When we fail to make a distinction, as God does, between the saved and the lost, we do great disservice to sinners struggling with sin. Christians are expected by God to be perfect and walk in perfection. But when believers are taught that such 'goals' are too lofty to be achieved, the saved and the lost are again dumped together back into the cesspool of sin. Nowhere in the Bible does God group the wicked with the righteous. God makes a difference between the two for many reasons.

Of course Christians sin. The Bible is written for the purpose of instructing people that God hates sin and the flesh and is never pleased by those walking in either. Christians are expected to clean themselves up and get out of that gutter, and the Bible teaches us how to do it.

Look at Peter arguing with the Lord about having his feet washed. Peter was wrong for saying he didn't just need his feet washed, but his whole body (John 13). On the surface that looked to be a mark of humility on Peter's part, admitting he was so sinful. In reality, however, there was nothing humble about it at all. He was arguing with God, just like Christians do today when the Bible tells them they are no longer filthy after they get saved, but are "clean every whit", except for their walk.

Christians need to understand that they are expected by God to walk in the Spirit and not walk in sin, and Christians CAN walk with God that way, if they apply themselves in learning how to trust God to fight the battles for them. As a final point for now, I would like to highlight 1 Cor. 6:9-11;

"Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? ... neither...(any and all sins and sinners) ...shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such WERE some of you, but (NOW) ye are washed..."

We don't have to live like a bunch of pigs in the slop. We can walk uprightly, if we can ever grow up in the Lord.

#114 marke, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  15. marke

marke New Member

You missed a fourth option, that you might not yet have it figured out at all.

16. marke

marke New Member

Thanks for posting. I don't come that much because I visit other sites as well and sometimes I get locked into debates there which can take weeks to get through. I have posted over 2,000 times on each of at least 3 different sites in the last year, but on this site I look like a newbie drive-by troll, I'm sure, especially to those who may disagree with what I say.

I agree the Paul was speaking of his current inner battles as a Christian. Paul was also trying to get Christians to realize that losing the battles is not supposed to be a given in the Christian life.

I appreciated how you dealt with the issue in the previous threads. I am just finishing reading the whole thing and I appreciate you.

P.S. I really messed this up. I wasn't paying attention and busted everything up because my mouse tripped up on me. I'm not goind to retype it, though. I'm sure you can put it together. Thanks again.

#116 marke, Feb 23, 2012
  17. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

(Edited to add: Sorry, just realised this is a resurrected thread)

Does it, Jason? I thought it meant "follower of Christ". Similar to the "Nicolaitans" in Revelation 2:6 & 15, who were followers of someone named Nicolaus, possiblibly Nicolaus of Antioch, not "Little Nicolauses", and Herodians in Matthew 22.16, who were supporters of the cause of King Herod, not "Little Herods".

But I don't know New Testament Greek; if someone who does know that language tells me that Cristianov does indeed mean "little Christ", I will have to think again.

Anyway, welcome to the Baptist Board!

#117 David Lamb, Feb 23, 2012