1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured I thought I was saved, but....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Amy.G, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The insanity Rob is in even engaging ....but its a continuation that knows no ending......maybe we like to or maybe to prove ourselves superior, seriously dont know. All I know is that he knows my position & I know his....and there is very little debate beyond those parameters.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How did this turn into another Cal/Arm debate?

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its BB sister...... what else gets them going.....sick huh?

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Sure they do. We see in this story that Abraham did not believe it correct to punish the righteous with the wicked. All men everywhere understand this. The only exception in the whole world might be Calvinists. :laugh:

Give me a break, the entire legal system is based on the concept of justice.
    [​IMG]

Anybody who reads the scriptures can see Moses believed in God and obeyed him, Pharaoh rebelled against God. Moses therefore was fit to be a vessel of honor, Pharaoh was fit to be a vessel of dishonor.

What is unjust is to destroy the righteous with the wicked as Abraham said.

It would also be unjust for God to make a man a sinner, and then punish that man for being the very thing God made him to be.

But that is not what Romans 9 is saying. It is not saying that God made Moses good, and that God made Pharaoh bad. Moses was good because he chose to believe in God and obey him, Pharaoh was bad because he chose to be bad and disobey. God never causes any man to sin, God does not even so much as tempt any man to sin.

Jam 1:13 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
    14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

God does not tempt ANY man, but EVERY man is tempted when he is drawn away of his OWN lust and enticed.

But... once a man has chosen to sin as Pharaoh did, God is in no way unjust to make an example of him and destroy him before the world. This is what Paul is saying. He was "fitted" or deserving of destruction. Moses was obedient and so was fitted to honor.

No, God holds himself to his OWN standards. God is not a hypocrite. Jesus hated hypocrites.

Mat 24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

God also holds himself to his standards, again, God is not a hypocrite. But Calvinism teaches that God breaks his own laws.

Abraham asked God how he could destroy the righteous with the wicked. He said, "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?"

It seems to be your desire to ignore the evidence I have provided.

You are correct, God did know how many righteous were in the city. There was Lot, his wife, and two daughters. And God brought them out of the city and did not destroy them.

Calvinists love Romans 9 and the story of the potter, but they do not interpret it correctly. No potter in his right mind purposely makes defective pottery, he would not be in business very long doing that. The Jews that Paul was speaking to understood that.

But... if while forming a piece of pottery a defect is found in it, then a potter is not unjust to crush it, or form it into a lesser piece. This is what Paul is saying. The potter doesn't purposely put the defect there, but if he finds it, he may destroy the piece.

But no potter forms defective pottery on purpose. This goes right over the heads of Calvinists.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I don't see it as a Cal/Arm debate nor do I see it as a debate to see who is superior. It is a fight for the faith and nothing more.

6. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

When it comes to salvation, God's choice trumps man's every time.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NONE aree righteous before God, ALL are filthy sinners, who have NOT lived as required to get saved, and that is why Jesus died, for He did what NONE could do but him, live as a righteous Mna and keeping Law of God!

your belief in this isrebuked by Paul, as he saw NONE right, all fallen!

8. Winman

Winman Active Member

None are righteous before God? Is that so?

Gen 7:1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.

Then why does this verse say God saw Noah righteous before him?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    in comparison to others on the earth, but NOT righteous as one without sin, as not being a sinner!

ONLY jesus EVER was righteous in that regard, as one without a sin nature, who also never had sinned!

10. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

God made Noah righteous, that is why he was called righteous. Noah was born again.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

When did I say Lot was without sin? Show where I ever said that.

I simply showed you 2 Peter 2:7 that said that Lot was a just man.

2 Pet 2:7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:

Lot was a righteous man because he was justified. He believed in the Lord and his sins were forgiven. This is what the scriptures mean by a righteous man. There were many men the scriptures called righteous.

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Was Abel a righteous man, yes or no?

12. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

For you that don't believe in any kind of feeling at the moment of salvation, The peace that passeth all understanding, Phil 4:7 that Christ gives is a feeling is it not ? Or is there no peace in your soul ?

13. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

If salvation depends upon feelings then I am not saved until after my first cup of coffee.

14. salzer mtn

There is that moment that Christ sends the Holy Spirit into your soul and gives life. How can anyone receive anything from God and not know it ? People want to completely throw feelings out the window. How do you know you love God, is it not that spirit of love he has placed within us. Have you ever set in a church service and been blessed ? how do you know you were blessed unless you felt you were blessed.

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I am blessed every time I take a breath. Blessings do not have to equal "feelings".

16. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Job was the other way around. He felt as if he had been abandoned by God. Feelings aren't always the best indicator of being right with God.

17. salzer mtn

So it all comes down to some people that leaves feelings out are either told they have been saved or read they have been saved because they believe, but their belief is based on what they think is right based on what they have heard. So my question is, can you be sure what you were told was the truth ? You really have no assurance that it is unless God gives the assurance.

18. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Assurance comes from checking our lives against the Word. If the fruit is there, the tree is good. No fruit- the tree is dead. Simple as that, no feelings needed. Jesus said BY THEIR FRUIT you shall know them, not by their feelings.

19. salzer mtn

But can you be honest when you check your life against the word ? Also, some people naturally have nice personalities that are family traits, meaning their loving, caring, honest, full of joy, longsuffering, gentile people even though they have never been saved.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also comes by believing what the Bible states, that we have passed from spiritual death to ne wlife in christ!

renew our minds by the Bible, and get Gods views on this topic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.