1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I was sad when they hanged Saddam

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jan 2, 2007.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Question: In the old testament it was eye for an eye but in the new testament Jesus said if someone slaps you to turn the other cheek?

If we say that God approves of the death penalty because of what the old testament says does what Jesus says in the new testament support death penalty.

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I be back later to answer this.

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I would have to join our mutual friend on that viewpoint: I do not believe in the death penalty. Although I cannot speak for anyone else, I personally do not deny that I do not believe in the death penalty.

But that is a discussion that will take more than three pages.

Regards, hope all is well with you and yours out in Montana,
    BiR

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

nothing in the bible is stupid.

5. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Thanks for trying to answer!!

Because I know we are supossed to follow laws and stuff and without laws it would be crazy in this world. However what about Abortion Laws? Thats a law and its wrong so maybe death penalty is wrong as well. If Jesus said turn the other cheek then why do we take justice in our own hands and place people in the death penalty. Thanks for helping me out with this subject !!!

6. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

I just feel that if Abortion is Wrong then the Death Penalty is wrong too. Whats the difference, No human of any race, religion, sex, creed, nationality, or any other special interest has any right whatsoever to take another human life.

God alone grants human life, and God alone is entitled to take it. No human being ever came into existence without the express intent of God. Please if you have biblical evidence or scripture that points and states that Death Penalty is right by God please let me know... I am really open to this subject.

Frankly, I know Saddam did horrible, aweful things but he is a sinner just like I am. The only difference is that I accepted Jesus and because of his Awesome Mercy, Gracy, Love, care..I am saved but I am sinner just like he was. However I could be wrong and please...please...take time to clear it up for me

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

mmmm

Well, I do not believe that God hanging His Son upon the Cross was stupid . . .

I guess we may disagree on that . . . but, the sacrifice of my Lord is not what I would call stupid.

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I did not gloat over his death. And while, I did feel sorrow at his punishment, I knew that his punishment was earned. He sinned against God and against his people - he knew what he deserved and faced it.

10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    TaliOrlando,

I answered this questions for xdx, but I am having trouble linking you to it, so I will just type is over, verbatim, as I answered him.

Exodus 21:23-24 - "But if there is serious injury (causing the death of a pregnant woman), you are to take life for life, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise."

Leviticus 24:17-18 - "If anyone takes the life of a human being, he must be put to death. Anyone who takes the life of someone's animal must make restitution.......(verse 20)....fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth."

If you look at the context of these verses, God is talking about legal restitution, NOT revenge. These passages talk about when a killing is considered murder and when it is considered accidental death and what to to in each case under the umbrella of the law.

These verses in no way, shape, or form are talking about revenge or getting even with someone. These laws and verse are actually protection against people who want to go around practicing vigilanty justice. God makes provisions for the death penalty and when to apply it and when not to apply it and how far someone should make financial restitutuion and other types of restitution.

Matthew 5:39 - "But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

God hasn't changed his commandments. These passages are not contradictory statements, they are complimentary.

In turning the other cheek, Jesus is talking about not seeking revenge nor evil from someone by misinterpreting the Old Testament law. (He refers to it in verse 38)

Jesus isn't disagreeing with God. He is saying that sometimes we think that we deserve to have restitution made to us, but we just need to blow it off and move on and get over it.

He isn't necessarily talking about literal blows to your face. He is talking about not seeking revenge and trying to make rational decisions as to what is worth fighting about with someone and what isn't.

Many times, we gripe about being wronged and maybe we have been wronged, but in some instances we should not allow those revengeful thoughts to direct our lives.

Jesus isn't talking about "taking it" either or passivity or allowing bullies and criminals to harm you or your family. He is saying that if possible, just walk away, move on, and allow something else other than revenge to take root in your heart.

There is a wonderful passage in Proverbs that speaks to both of these other passages and helps interpret them both correctly.

Proverbs 19:11 - "A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense."

God gave strict instruction to His people in quite lengthy passages in two separate books of the Old Testament as to what kind of legal and lawful restitution could be made when people grievously wrong other people. These laws fall under the civil law of the Old Testament.

Jesus fulfilled the spirit of that law and said to be careful that you don't allow restitution to turn into revenge.

King Solomon said that we are made glorious if we know the difference.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Theres something wrong when people don't know the difference between abortion and death penalty. And unborn child verses a mass murder, and you can't tell the difference. hummm

12. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

You got that right, Donna

13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Amen to that.

14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is God stupid? [Genesis 38:10

15. Dustin

Dustin New Member

I honestly didn't think they'd execute him so quickly after the trial. That was surely "quick justice". I think he got what he deserved. I think the Iraqis did the right thing in executeing them so quickly, if he would have been in prison for 15 or so years before the execution, I think that would have been worse for the people there. They needed some kind of closure, and quickly at that, now the slate has been wiped clean, so to say.

Dustin

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This one. If the Texans had hanged Santa Anna after his capture at San Jacinto, he would never have come back to power. But in fact he did, 4 more times.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sad at all that he was executed. It is sad that he’ll spend an eternity in hell. I would have like to have seen him accept Christ prior to being killed, but his actions warranted his execution.

I wonder, if the US is responsible for the topple of Hussein, are we also responsible for the deaths that could have been prevented if we did so earlier?

18. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I will be in the minority here, I guess.

I was not at all sad that they killed him.

I was only sad that he was not saved.

19. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

What's always seemed so mixed-up to me is the fact that most pro-choice (pro-death for babies) liberals are vehemently opposed to the death penalty. (It's okay to kill babies, just not adults.)

On the other hand, most conservatives & Christians who are so opposed to abortion are okay with the death penalty. Many of them are more than "okay" with it. They'd like to be the one who throws the switch.

It's not that someone can't tell the difference between an unborn child and a mass murderer, it's the fact that taking another life is taking another life, and some people have a problem with doing that no matter what the circumstances.

Personally, I'm not totally against the death penalty. But, the thing that's always bothered me is, what if the wrong person is convicted? What if you identify someone you saw kill someone else, they put this person to death, and then several years later the real killer comes forward and confesses. You identified the wrong man. Now he's dead. Should you now be put to death for your part in having an innocent man killed?

At least with prison, if a mistake is made, the person could still get what's left of his life back. With the death penalty, there's no room for error.

20. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

There was a reason God killed all those people in the flood. Those people were exceedingly wicked. He spared the life of Cain to allow us to see what would happen if people like that are allowed to live. NOT GOOD.

God decided to destroy by a flood that powerful, long lived race that had corrupted their ways before him. He would not allow them to live out the days of their natural life, which would have been hundreds of years. It was only a few generations since Adam had access to the tree of life which was to prolong life. After his disobedience Adam was not allowed to eat of the tree of life and perpetuate an existence in sin. In order for man to have an endless life he must continue to eat of the fruit of the tree of life. Deprived of this, his life would gradually wear out.

This is GOD'S MERCY... people need to realize that severity to a few sometimes proves to be mercy to many

People need to stop with their misplaced "kindness".

Yes its sad Saddam didnt repent.

#60 Claudia_T, Jan 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2007