1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I will build my church;

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by percho, Feb 17, 2012.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly how was and or is this being done?

What all was necessary in order for the church to be built? Step by step if possible.

Thanks.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1] God planned it before the world was 2tim 1:9 eph1;1-11

2] God created the world

3] God allowed the fall...sin and death

4] God offered grace with a promised seed Gen3:15

5] God protects the godly line from the ungodly line ..all through the scriptures [all the judgements ]

6] God destroys the world of the ungodly [the flood]to protect the godly line

7] God progressively reveals His covenant to man....Gen 9

8] tower of babel

9] calling of Abraham...expansion of the Abrahamic covenant...gen 12-17

10] Hebrew Israels election.....Israel as God's son Ex4:22

11] The first Exodus, The passover....when I see the blood I will passover you....destruction of the wicked

12] laws given to the new theocracy

13] captivity because of covenant breakers

14] promises of messiah to come,during the captivity, david promised a King would reign on His throne

15] promises of gentiles coming to the light of the messiah Isa 54-66

16] The Elect Servant promised Isa40-66

17] The Servants work described.....isa 49:1-8 50 -54

18] The incarnation...according to the Covenant promises Lk 1;68-80
    68Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,

69And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;

70As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:

71That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;

72To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;

73The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,
    74That he would grant unto us, that we being delivered out of the hand of our enemies might serve him without fear,

75In holiness and righteousness before him, all the days of our life.

76And thou, child, shalt be called the prophet of the Highest: for thou shalt go before the face of the Lord to prepare his ways;

77To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins,

78Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,

79To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

19] the active and passive obedience of Jesus... The True Israel The second Exodus keeping the law gal4:4

20] ordaining the Apostles as foundational mk3;14 eph 2;20 Sign gifts establish the completion of the scriptures

21] Accomplishment of redemption.. psalm22 .the cross, Rom6...Union with Christ is actual not potential...when He died we died In Him.

22]Ascencion...ruling from heaven...leading captivity captive psalm 110 psalm 68,,acts 2:22-39 Davidic throne occupied

23] sending of the Spirit at Pentecost. The Spirit drawing all the elect ...effectually.... giving a new heart ,putting the law in their hearts Acts 13:48

24] Gospel goes to all the world ....jew /gentile one new man in Christ.......the Christian Israel Mt28:19-20 eph 2

25] Rapture on the last day......one body...fully assembled, and visible,local.....eternal life in a glorified state

26] final seperation of the wicked....
    left out many good portions to this...at least 25 major events...but these are a good start as an outline....fill in the spaces

#2 Iconoclast, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

1.) God spoke the heavens and earth into existance
    2.) God creates male and then female(jumping through the first part of creation for length's sake)
    3.) man falls in Garden
    4.) God sends Son to redeem us
    5.) Those who are saved are placed in the Church, the body of Christ, the True Israel.

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Convicted's list is shorter, so he must be right:laugh:

5. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think you missed a few, Iconoclast (just kidding--that was an exhaustive list---I wish I had your mind).

I can't really do a step-by-step, but I can say this: He is building His church one believer at a time thru the Holy Spirit.

6. Forest

Forest New Member

Mark 16:18 says that the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Acts 20:28, Jesus purchased it with his own blood. Eph 5:23, Christ is the head of his church.

7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello JK,

I actually messed up big time..in that The Op asks about the church...so I should have included

Bethel....
    Tabernacle
    Temple....

JK

Most of the thoughts on that list come from working through The History of Redemption...by Jonathan Edwards...I worked throught it and came up with over 50 seperate points:laugh: These saints put us all to shame....
    I will post a link for you

Each one of these types have God working to illustrate aspects of the Christian Israel.....

9And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

10To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,

11According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
    14For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,

15Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

http://www.preteristarchive.com/Books/1776_edwards_history-redemption.html

#7 Iconoclast, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012
  8. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would it be correct to say, that as the gates of hell shall not prevail against the Church, neither did the gates of hell prevail against Jesus it's head, actually the head of the corner [stone]? reference Acts 2:24,27 and Acts 4:11

Was it imperative for Jesus to pass through the gates of hell, and prevail over them, before he, Jesus could build his church? John 16:7

Was it by his resurrection, him being firstborn from the dead, that he is the head of the body, the church the beginning of it? Col 1:18 The head of the corner? Acts 4:10,11

How did God the Father raise Jesus his Son from the dead? Gal 1:1 Romans 8:11
    Did God the Father give to Jesus the Son the promise of the Holy Spirit and then it is shed on the church? Acts 2:33 Was Jesus renewed with the Holy Spirit and then it is shed on the church he is building? Titus 3:5,6

Is it this Spirit which comes from God the Father through Jesus the Son by which we are baptized into the body, the church which Jesus is building?
    1 Cor. 12:13

Why did God the Father have to give the Holy Spirit to Jesus his son?
    Thou art the Christ the Son of the Living God, Peter said. This was reveled to you by the Father, Jesus said.
    Why were there promises made that were made for the Christ?
    Did the Christ receive the promises made for him, because he was the Christ or through faith? Abraham died in faith but he hasn't received them. Why?

Jesus was obedient unto death even the death on the cross. Sweated blood we are told. The faith author and finisher, Jesus.

Will the church prevail over the gates of hell in the same manner as Jesus did, by resurrection?

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I gave a "condensed" version of the way I see how God set this up.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Jesus established his church during his earthly ministry. He selected twelve guys as the core material of that church. He was the head, Judas was the treasurer.

By the end of his earthly ministry, this group had become a traveling church, with ordinances, two commissions, its disciples had the ability to heal the sick and cast out demons.

We think that Jesus had many converts during his earthly ministry, but we do know that 120 of them gathered in Jerusalem. What this group had on that day, it had before that day.

We know that within a fairly short time, there was a congregation in Samaria, where Philip preached. We know there was one in Damascus, where Ananias was a member, and who took the blinded Saul of Tarsus under its wing.

God the Son built his church while he was on earth. God the Holy Spirit continues to empower and build it today.

By the way, "The gates of Hell will not prevail against it" is a metaphor denoting offense, not defense. Churches are not designed to go on defense, on offense against the forces of Satan.

As one of my former pastors put it, "we can make war on hell with a water pistol."

11. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Cor 15:54,55 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where thy sting? O grave (Hades, Hell), where thy victory?

Would you agree at this time the above is brought to pass, the gates of Hell (Hades) has not prevailed over these people?

1 Cor 15:57 But thanks to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

How was the victory given us through Jesus Christ?

Was Jesus Christ the first stone laid in the building of his Church?

And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone];

How did Jesus come about being the chief corner?

12. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Christ as the head of the Church has appointed under shepherds (pastors). They in turn are to learn the truth, teach the truth, equip the Saints for the job and go build the church.

Peter as the spokesman at the beginning of the church on the day of Pentacost preached Jesus. Crucified and Risen and 3000 were added to the church on it's very first day of existance.

The church is being built today by faithful believers who claim the promise of Acts 1:8 we have power to be witnesses. The Holy Spirit convicts and draws people to salvation because of the witness of the Believer.

13. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

The church couldn't have begun any other time except a Pentacost. Notice what Jesus told the disciples in Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.
    The church would not begin until it was endued by the Holy Spirit, that happened at Pentacost.

The church was to be built from the witness of the believer and the power to witness would come according to Acts 1:8 B ut ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

When the Holy Spirit came upon the believers again that was at Pentacost when the Holy Spirit came and indwelt the Believers. He now indwells us all at the time of Salvation and gives us power to be witnesses amoung other things.

Christ made it clear in John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
    27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

Here is how Christ Church is being built today:
    John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
    8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
    9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
    10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
    11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
    The Holy Spirit at work in our world and through our being witnesses of Christ.

In Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Notice Christ said He would not that He would contine to build but would build His Church yet a future event.
    The word build in the Greek "Oikodomeo" means:

to build a house, erect a building
    to build (up from the foundation)
    to restore by building, to rebuild, repair
    metaph.
    to found, establish
    to promote growth in Christian wisdom, affection, grace, virtue, holiness, blessedness
    to grow in wisdom and piety
    Paul gives the key to what was sadi in the building of the church in 1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
    Christ would build the church with Himself as the foundation i.e. Faith in Christ is the foundation of the church. Every believer builds on that foundation.
    Therefore the church is being built as people are saved and we then build our spiritual house upon that faith.
    Each person saved is yet another part of the Church.

14. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In a third person speaking voice...

"Unable to keep up with Iconoclast's verboseness and yet unwilling to disagree with him, convicted1's attention to grammatical detail looses sight of the fact that Jesus words regarding the building of his Church is yet future to his saying the words and opts instead for direct replacement of the Israelites with the Gentile Church."