1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ian Paisley

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Palmetto Boy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Palmetto Boy

Palmetto Boy New Member

I've noticed that Ian Paisley seems to come up a lot here. I recall some posters suggesting that he should be separated from

Other than that he is a Presbyterian what is the issue there? His style of delivery? His accent? :D

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For some here it is his anti-Catholicism and pro-Unionist position. We tend to forget here in the States in the UK the Church and Crown are not separate.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

However, Dr Paisly is not a part of the state church by any means.

His spirit of anti-Catholicism is a major problem for me. He also has a tendancy to be un-Christlike when talking about opposing policitians. He often makes comments about their physical appearance.

He is a brilliant polician - no one can argue that whether you agree with his views or not.

I have never heard him preach, but understand he is a brilliant preacher.

To me Dr Paisly is a warning to American Christians about what happens when the separation fo church and state that we American Baptists hold to so dearly is violated.

Saying all of that, my admiration for "Big Ian" has grown with his current stand against the criminal, terrorist IRA and their political branch Sinn Fein. Right before Christmas he was much criticised for taking a hard line stand on proof of arms destruction, yet since then it has been revealed that IRA were involved in a major bank robbery, and that Sinn Fein leadership had knowledge of it.

4. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

C4K, How do the Irish view Dr. Paisley? I know he is technically in Northern Ireland, but is known in the Republic at all?

Just curious, I figured you would know better than any one else here.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

In the States he is seen as preacher involved in politics.

In the Republic he is seen as an anti-Irish poitician who happens to tbe a preacher.

6. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I have been listening to him for about 5-6 years, both in person and on the radio, and I enjoy his preaching [​IMG]

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

His habit of insulting Irish politicans because of their looks would always affect my views of him. Very unfortunate that he has that testimony here.

8. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

<-------- little Baptist girl on a soap box for just 5 seconds, please.

Paisly has some good things to say. We can take the good and filter out anything we have a problem with, I think.

We also have to be careful about the Catholic thing--I am against Catholicism--openly so. But this doesn't mean I hate Catholics. It just means I believe their doctrine is off.

I get a little tired of people picking apart preachers . . . but as I often point out, the flaws I notice in others are usually onesI find in myself. It's so hard to just listen to the Word of God and not let the other things distract us.

There's a preacher here who I let get to me when he mocks people from the north. I'm a Yankee, and I love the north . . . But I have to to try not to tell that influence me, you know?

Once again, just a little youngin' here. I love to see Christian men speaking about things like this in a sophisticated, mature manner. It encourages me . . . helps me remember that boys cane grow up to be men. :D

God bless you all.

<-----------Off the soap box and out of your hair.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I think the role of preacher/politician is a dangerous one.

Again, in this part of the world Dr Paisley is seen as a politician who just happens to be a preacher, in the US he is seen as a preacher who just happens to be a politician.

Because of that fact, when I hear Dr Paisley's name my first thought is "Leader of the DUP," not "gospel preacher."

When a preacher steps into the political arena he opens himself up to attack, and justifiably.

I trust that you are not implying that because I am critcal of Dr Paisly harsh words it is because i deal with the same problem of inculting people because of their appearance.

[ March 08, 2005, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: C4K ]

10. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is it dangerous? If it weren't for Presbyterian and Baptist preachers boldly standing for right in the 18th century, the US would likely still be under the crown today.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I find there to be a mixed loylaty.

Politics by its very nature requires compromise.

We could get into the whole deabte about whether there was Biblical grounds for the action of those preachers, but that is not the issue here.

Dr Paisley's church role is almost never mentioned here - he is the leader of DUP, and that is how he is seen my virtually everyone outside of his church. Do you think it is possible to properly pastor a church and at the same time be the leader of a political party?

12. izzaksdad

izzaksdad New Member

Dr. Buster Soaries is a gifted preacher/pastor here in America- New Jersey- and he also is a prominent member of the Bush Administration. He came under heavy fire for wanting to postpone the 2004 elections if there was even a hint of terrorist actions.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I would be critical of that decision ;) .

I know it is done, but the question is, should it.

Dr Paisley's testimony among the lost and the Christians here in the republic. Most of my Irish Christian friends are shocked that I consider him saved, because his testimony is so poor due to his politcal stand.

14. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think it would be quite difficult as it seems it would be tough to keep in mind that kingdom business is first. A public stand on some issue (political, not moral or Biblical) would be bound to offend a certain segment of the people and possibly cut off any opportunity to minister Christ to them. I would find it difficult, but I don't know that we can say it's impossible or inherently wrong.

15. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

C4K, no I was mainly implying that when I pick preachers apart, I often realize a few minutes later that I could work on some of those same things myself.

IE, I do struggle with the temptation to mock certain kinds of people.

I didn't mean to suggest anything about you. [​IMG]

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks for the clarification.

Dr Paisley recently made fun of the Irish Minister of Defense who does has rather large lips by saying, "_________________ has such big lips because when he was little his mother used to glue his lips to the floor every time he lied." Funny? In a fleshly sort of way, I suppose, but hardly the kind of thing a preacher of the gospel should say at a public political conference.

17. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

I know. I like to see a soft spoken man get up and preach the Gospel in such a way that we foret who is speaking and only see the message from God's word.

And I really am sorry if I offended you. Please forgive.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

You have truly not offended me, no need to apologise. Your clarification sorted that out - thank you for your tender spirit.

19. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

KK. Thanks for not being offended. [​IMG]
    One of these days I'm gonna get over there and try your Irish bacon and cabbage. [​IMG]

20. North Carolina Tentmaker

I think C4K is right
    Anytime you mix the two you are asking for trouble. Now that does not mean that preachers cannot be vocal in politics, even to the extent of endorsing certain candidates or issues. The problem comes when your political leaders are also your spiritual leaders. Then to disagree with them on an issue of politics is to disagree with God. Taken to its extreme view you have political leaders who hold the keys to heaven. Then they can tell you that the best way for you to enter heaven is to blow up a building or crash a plane. It is true of Islamic terrorists today and it was true of Emperor Herohito's kamikaze's 60 years ago. Remember John 18:36