1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IBF & Consitution and ByLaws

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Rhetorician, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all who have an ear:

Do IBF churches have constitutions &/or ByLaws and Constitutions? Or, do the IBF pastors run the church like a "mini-pope?" I am sure that there are those two extremes and a whole spectrum of variations.

Or, "We don't need no consittution; all we go by is the Bible?"

Is there any "paper authority" for the IBF pastor? Is there any deacon authority or elder authority over the pastor?

What part does the Constitution play in some of your IBF churches; if you have one.

I would really like to hear some feedback on this issue if you please?

sdg!

rd

2. Rob't K. Fall

Rob't K. Fall New Member

Every church over the last 33 years I've been a member of has had a constitution. That's not to say there aren't those who would take the positions you describe. They just aren't in my particular sub-sector. As for deacon/elder authority, IIRC from my current church's constitution, it's more of a matter of congregational authority. I'd have to dig out my copy to report on the details. And those details do vary from congregation to congregation. And yes the our constitution does regulate our internal operations. However, HSBC is organized for ministry not administration.

Please keep in mind, there is a wide spectrum of practice. HSBC is a historic Northern Baptist church. So, we tend to be more formal or "high church." Towards the other end of the spectrum are IFB churchs which (to my POV) have their roots in the SBC and its descendents. These folks are somewhat like cousins so to speak.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over the past 40 years, of the 15 churches I have been a member of, (I was in the military, and moved often) all but 2 had a constitution. One was a mission church, one was Pastor-dicator.

I am currently preparing a constitution for Salt City Bap. First and foremost, there should be a doctrine statement. I don't think you need to list every little item, but major issues should be addressd. If you are closed communion, KJO, Pre- Trib, ect, then have it in writing. When a (mature) Christian decides to join, there will be no misunderstanding on the doctrine.
    As far as By-laws, do you want a Pastor call to be 50%, 66%, 75%? Our church in Zweibruecken, had a provision, that after a candidate recieved the needed 75%, a second ballot would be taken, for the purpose of obtaining a 100% vote. Basically, it was a vote of confidence for the new pastor. (I will be puting that in to SCBC). Regardless of what business needs to be attended to, there should be a pre-agreement as to how decisions should be made. Hopefully, that will discourage most disagreements. Constitutions should be kept simple, but ahered to.

Salty

ps, I had a former pastor who said that you could tell the previous problems of a church, by reading its constitution.

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

All the IFB churches Ive ever been in have had a constitution of some sort. They also have doctrinal statements. While IFB are big on independence, that does not mean that they do not see the wisdom in a set of laws to adhere to and to create orderliness within the church business.

5. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

I echo bapmom's remarks. Every IFB church I've been apart of have had a Constitution and a Doctrinal Statement (usually called 'Statement of Faith') and most of them ran according to Roberts Rules of Order.

Now I believe the Pastor is the ultimate authority in the Church and is to be checked according to the Bible if his leadership is outside of the Bible's leading then I believe the Deacons (while not over the Pastor) have a responsibility to the flock to protect them and to fire the guy out of line and hire a Pastor who is in line with the Bible. I think the Church should be lead much the same way that Jesus led his disciples...if this is a dictatorship then I'm all for a Jesus Dictatorship ;)