1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IBMA 2008 Attendance Figures

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by KenH, Oct 25, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    IBMA 2008 attendance figures
    Posted By John On 24th October 2008 @

[​IMG]

Attendance figures for the 2008 IBMA World of Bluegrass trade show and Fan Fest have been announced. The big numbers are 19,546 and $4,300,000 - the cumulative daily attendance and the estimated economic impact of the week’s events.

While the move to Nashville from Louisville has generated the four highest attended conventions since the first was held in 1986 in Owensboro, KY, the 2008 numbers do show an attendance decline of nearly 11% from 2007.

This bears out our impression based on both discussions with exhibitors and traffic in the exhibit area this year. Given an uncertain economic climate and then-still high gas prices, I think everyone expected to see a drop for 2008. In truth, I had thought it might have been even steeper.

Our take is that the primary decline was among the non-business and/or part-time professional people - the many folks who typically come to jam, socialize and do a little business as well. The attendance at the official showcases, meals, keynote address and special awards didn’t strike me as off from 2007, nor did the crowds for the late night showcases.

The awards show at the Ryman sold out again, and the only serious complaints we heard came from exhibitors, especially those who depend on the traffic from serious fans and amateur pickers.

Here are the raw numbers as supplied by the IBMA.

- rest of information at www.thebluegrassblog.com/ibma-2008-attendance-figures