1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ice Day - No School....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Jan 16, 2013.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Self-explanatory.....WOO! HOO!!

:laugh:

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

LOL How much ice is needed for this to happen?

Since 1987 I am aware of only 1 event where the public schools here shutdown due to weather. We had almost 2 feet of snow and the wind chill dropped the temps down to -80 for 3 or 4 days. The only reason the schools closed was because half the town was without power and that meant the schools had no heat.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not much, brother! :laugh:

Here in Northeast Louisiana where the trees overhand so much of the highways and byways, the sun cannot reach many of the roads going off the highways.

Most bridges were closed yesterday by the state police until noon (and we have lots of small bridges in NE LA) and this morning having rained for 3 days and temperatures been below freezing, the police call the individual school systems and make their recommendations. The school systems don't have to follow that, but they usually do to err on the side of caution.

Yesterday, the police told everyone to stay home unless it was an emergency,

We aren't accustomed here to driving in even thin, thin layers of ice. And by 9:00 am yesterday morning, there had already been 17 car accidents on the interstate.

Right now, the roads are fine and the highways were never fully iced over, but enough bridges and "pigtrails" were iced that it makes for a very dangerous school bus ride. But what we call "black ice", the very thin invisible layer, will cause even safe drivers to cause serious accidents here.

That's the underlying decision. Can the school busses make their early morning trek accident free. Even if the roads are clear by noon, we still close.

And being it's Louisiana, that only happens once or twice a year. :laugh:

My math student who are snoring right now just don't know how hard we are going to have to work to make up the lessons missed!!! :laugh: :tongue3:

#3 Scarlett O., Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

We homeschool. So we built in some wiggle room for "snow days". I declared one already...the snow was to good to stay home and not go sledding. LOL

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That's not a "snow day". It's PE day and it counts!!!

6. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

They get credit for shoveling (PE and Home EC/Shop)...not sledding. LOL

I guess their administrator is not as nice as you.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - When the schools around here were all closed due to Sandy and we still did school by the window for the light, my kids didn't think I was so nice. :)

But sledding is physics lab, don't you know???

8. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

If they wrote me an essay on the physics of their sledding I'd give credit for English and Science....otherwise, not so much. LOL

I remember a severe storm hit CA when I was a kid. I wrote a book report using our oil lamp.