1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ice Fishing

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by MKG, Oct 25, 2004.

1. MKG

MKG New Member

I work in the ice fishing industry and it's coming up on our busy season. Since it's one of the only focuses I have these days, I just wanted to know if anybody else has had a good time ice fishing or have some fun stories to tell.

I did not grow up ice fishing but the sport is so interesting to me now. I help out with kids seminars and they are so funny when they finally pull one thru the ice. They are so proud - even if it's only a 2" long bluegill.

So let's hear it...what are some of your ice fishing memories?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Visiting some ice fishermen and saw a pile of nice fish on the ice. Asked what their secret was.

Old guy say "Asdm krfg bfft hharm".

I said, "What?"

He said, "Ygoa qwfdf mnbv oium"

I shook my head. Still could not understand.

So he spit a big wad of worms into a cup and said, "You've got to keep your bait warm."

3. MKG

MKG New Member

Ha ha ha! That's great, Dr. Bob! You may not know how true that is.

It's rather unnerving once you find out how many pieces of bait actually DO visit the fishman's mouth for...hmm...let's just call it "alterations".
    I know a fella who fishes with minnow heads. But he doesn't remove the head from the body with a knife or even his fingers. BLECH!!! All his fishing buddies just shake their heads and keep fishing. You see, they don't have much to say about it because that guy ALWAYS catches the most and biggest fish.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always walked along the tracks and collected golden rod in the fall. Grub worms build a ball in the long hard stem and stay there for winter. Collect a few thousand and kept them on the porch.

Then when time to ice fish, you take some, break the cocoon and the white grub (think: small worm) is there for free bait. Use a little crappie hook and jig for a hit. Many a day we'd get our limit of crappie and have food on the table for the whole family.

We built portable ice houses (think: outhouse size tent on a toboggan bottom that folds down) that sat on the roof of the Chevy. We could pull it out on first ice, or drive on out later in the season. Minneapolis area has lots of ice!!