1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ideas for binding cookbook?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Gina B, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm making a cookbook for my oldest as she's nearing the age where she'll fly out of the nest.
    Got to thinking...there's four more to go after her. Thought about it some more and realized there's some students I know whose parents rarely cook and/or haven't taught the kids how to.

So instead of going ahead with a hand-made one that may fall apart, I'm thinking about making it more sturdy and having multiple copies for my other kiddos and for those in school that could get some use out of it. I can personalize the ones for my kids with a handwritten note in front and through the pages.

Got any ideas on either how to do this myself or a cheap way to get it done professionally? I'd like it to be something they can keep forever and something that can be repeated should I come across more students in the coming years that may be able to use something like this, something more personal than just buying them one off a shelf or telling them what to borrow from the library so they know I actually care and want them to have this.

The cost definitely must stay minimal though.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take it to a print shop or a photo shop and have it bound in plastic comb binding. It will lay flat and will last a long time. Put a plastic cover on both front and the back.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

5. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

A friend told me about this site: www.shutterfly.com. Now, granted it is listed as a place to bind photo albums in a book, but you don't have to have photos. You can just put text on the pages. It starts with 20 pages with option to add pages as needed. Fairly cheap.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thank you folks! I'll check into all these options. :thumbs:

7. TheGriff

TheGriff New Member

As I type this, Mom is compiling a cookbook for me for when I leave the nest. I think it will include every single recipe that she has ever made that I didn't making gagging noises while I was eating--and probably a few of those too.

She is putting it in a 3-ring binder with page protectors.

That's not a cheap option, but I bet it'll be durable.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

In that regard, these are most excellent. I've given several as gifts!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1932183795/?tag=baptis04-20

I gave my wife a similar, though smaller in scale, book a few years ago. Before giving it, I carried it secretly around to a lot of relatives and had them hand write family favorite recipes into the book. Now, not only does she have the recipes, she has the LOVE of family and friends right on the pages in their own hand!

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

Are you sure she wants it in paper form? Some folks are happy just having it on a computer, flash drive, etc..and they access it via notebook, netbook, kindle, etc.

Some desparately want paper copy. Others don't. If she falls in the latter group, your "compiling" phase just got a great deal easier.

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I looked at that one on Amazon and it looks awesome! So far I have $35 in certificates from Amazon for doing surveys, so for now the first one will be totally free. I'm all for that! It looks really cute and those chefs on front match the kitchen towels I bought so that will be a further reminder of me for her. :smilewinkgrin:

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I just ordered it. Can't wait to check it out! Pretty awesome deal...I needed a part for my computer that was $80 at best buy, found it on Amazon for $32 so ordered that too and with both being eligible for free shipping and the addition of the savings from the survey, my total for the order was only $15 and a few cents for both items.

HAPPINESS!

Fixed computer AND what appears to be an awesome cookbook maker. I read the reviews and it sounds like people are very happy with it so I'm going to be very impatient while I wait to get my hands on it! And with my computer fixed, I'll be able to work faster on getting the recipes set up and such. YIPPETY YAHOO!

12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Glad the link helped, and I've found Amazon to be a wonderful resource for all sorts of things, from "searching inside" books that I don't currently own to great deals on all sort of items. I've also learned to check the "used" section, sometimes Amazon has stuff from their own discount center that just has a tear in the box or something. Got a new keyboard and mouse that sell retail for a couple hundred bucks, under $75 for the pair. Work perfectly!

Cookbooks are nice. As I said, we've given several away and they were well recieved.