1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ideas on company outreach

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JoeKan, Sep 14, 2010.

1. JoeKan

JoeKan Member

Hello,
    I work part-time for a Christian owned and operated construction company. We are seeking a way to be a blessing to our community and I'm not having many ideas of what we might be able to do so I'm looking here for ideas.
    We're wanting to do something with our skills (electrica) to be a blessing to some family. Or it could be something to do with hunger, counselling, etc.
    Can someone give me fresh ideas?
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Find old folks on fixed income that need work done - for free or cheap.

Donate services/help to other churches/parsonages.

Come my way and fix my .... :smilewinkgrin:

3. Peggy

Peggy New Member

As a single mom on a fixed income who is also struggling with chronic illness, I know I could sure use someone to do some basic maintenance on my house that I just can't afford. I'm just going to list them so maybe you can get some ideas. These are just things that need to be done that I just can't afford.

I would contact a church if I were you, because often the pastor or office know who is struggling.

I need a new paint job on the outside of the house.
    The fence needs painting, too.
    A few boards on my deck are rotting.
    Oil change on the car is always a luxury.
    New blinds on the front windows.
    Vinyl flooring in one of the bathrooms needs to be replaced.
    Re-Caulking around the tubs.
    New carpet to replace the 12 year old carpet.
    Gutter maintenance before fall/winter rains come.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you know of ANY pastor living in a parsonage, I could guarantee you he needs your help fixing something. Churches are notorious for not keeping up with the parsonage, and often do not pay the pastor enough for him to fix things or hire it done. Talk to the pastor who actually lives in a parsonage, not a church member who does not.

Also, many single folks, widows, and low-income families in churches desperately need your kind of services. We have a young couple in our church who are struggling to make ends meet. Being young and inexperienced and low-income, they bought an older home and have now realized they have electrical and plumbing problems and no money (or know-how) to fix them. No one else in the church can help, as we have mostly older folks and single/widowed ladies.

Another way you can help is to TEACH the young men how to do things, so that they can use those skills to help themselves and others. This might be good for a youth group party, so they have hands-on training.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Start with prayer and ask God for wisdom and opportunity.

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are poor people everywhere that need little jobs done and they can't afford an electrician. Jobs like changing a light switch, replacing a ventilation fan, and so on. My father was an electrician and he did hundreds of small jobs for a nominal charge or no charge at all.

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

IMHO I would pray about it, and ask God to provide you with the right opportunities to be a blessing in your community.

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Get them off the streets. Too many young men have no skills except with video games. Teach them how to sweat and that getting shocked once in a while will give you a new appreciation for life (TIC on that last one).

#8 Mexdeaf, Sep 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2010