1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If C, then what is Satan's motivation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, May 5, 2011.

1. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

If Calvinism is true... What is Satan's motivation?

To further narrow the question: I have always considered that part of Satan's motivation to increase the number of humans that would experience eternal suffering. However if Calvinism is the true reality then would that be a reasonable description of Satan's motivation?

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Satan is NOT involved in the plan of salavation IF calvinism is the truth regarding just HOW God saves the sinner from going to hell...
    satan does NOT even rule in/over hell, that is Hollywood, as he is out and about ont he earth at this time...

he will be cast down into the lake of fire at end of all things, forever experiencing the punishment for his rebellion against God...
    it will be His prison to be stuck in forever, NOT his kingdom to reign/rule over!

he is always trying to undermine the plans pf the Lord, to strike back at god for "daring" to cast him from the heavenly realm...
    Humans are just part of the "fodder' he uses to try to get things done his way...

#2 JesusFan, May 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  3. humblethinker

(please disregard this reply, see reason below)

#3 humblethinker, May 5, 2011
  4. humblethinker

(please disregard this reply, see reason below)

#4 humblethinker, May 5, 2011
  5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I would agree with this assessment. :thumbsup:

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

If God from eternity elects who will be saved, and these persons are irresistably saved, and if God passes by all the rest, that being impossible for them to be saved, what work is there for Satan to do?

He cannot make the dead any more dead than they were at birth, and he cannot prevent the elect from being saved.

He cannot even make the unelect sin, for everything they do is sin.

At most he can cause the elect to lose some rewards.

If I were Satan, I would relax on a beach somewhere, there really is no work to be done by him. Might as well enjoy himself while he can.

#6 Winman, May 5, 2011
  7. humblethinker

For the sake of conversation let's all assume this premise:

Premise: Calvinism is reality

Possible Scenario 1: Satan has no knowledge that Calvinism exists.
    Possible Scenario 2: Satan is aware of Calvinism but is unable to understand that it is the reality.
    Possible Scenario 3: Satan is aware of Calvinism and also believes that it is reality.

#7 humblethinker, May 5, 2011
  8. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I am not sure of the purpose of these questions. What end do you think reasoning along these lines serves?

9. humblethinker

I'm just trying to further understand how my understanding of scripture and reality might change if I accepted Calvinism as the reality.

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

I am sure Satan understands Calvinism, the scriptures say he is full of wisdom.

Eze 28:12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
    13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
    14 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
    15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

Satan is very intelligent, that is why it is so easy for him to tempt people. He knows every man's weakness.

Still, what good is it to tempt man? He cannot make the unelect any more lost than they were at birth, and he cannot prevent the elect from being saved.

Kind of a useless job, like being Vice President. :laugh:

#10 Winman, May 5, 2011
  11. humblethinker

Did Satan have a libertarian free will? Could he have not chosen to sin? Is he now able to choose between one evil act or the other or is every action of Satan predetermined or ordained by God?

12. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

That's what I was about to interject. In the Calvinistic system (at least in the compatibilistic model) even Satan, a creature, is casually determined to act in a way that God has foreordained.

Since God has "decreed whosoever comes to pass," then it must be reasoned that even the evil intents of the Deceiver were decreed/ordained by God Himself.

Now, different camps describe and define that in different ways as evidenced on this board. But any group that does NOT affirm the ability of free creatures to independently originate intents and desires would be hard pressed to avoid the accusations of divine culpability for evil (i.e. making God the author of sin).

13. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

have to refernce this idea though from before fall/after the fall...

Believed satan and Adam as created beings with no sin natures within them DID have "libertine" free will, but after the fall of each of them, were constricted as a result in a type of bondage to their will, which is not sinful...

so NO ONE today has real "libertine" free will except for the Lord....

14. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Satan knows he is going to be defeated(It's in the Bible) so whats the point of him doing anything at all?

15. Skandelon

It's good to know your perspective, but I'm sure your realize that many Calvinists on this board reject this view.

But, in response to your view, I would just say that I agree that men are born in NEED of a Savior, and enemies of God. But can you point me to any scripture which teaches that the powerful life-giving gospel appeal to be reconciled is somehow insufficient to give man that ability to respond.

It just seems absurd to suggest that we cannot respond to an appeal sent by God for us to be reconciled because we are born enemies. It's like saying my son can't accept my request to be reconciled because we are not reconciled yet. Calvinism, IMO, falsely teaches that men have to be reconciled (i.e. regenerated) in order to accept the gospel appeal to be reconciled, which just seems backwards to the scriptures teaching.

16. Skandelon

So, do you think Satan believes the bible?