1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If I were a Calvinist...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Robert Snow, Jan 1, 2010.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The post is asinine. You freewillers are putting yourself in the place of GOD. But then you do that when you make yourself sovereign in salvation.

2. OldRegular

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I asked but no one answered.

Do Calvinists really believe this?

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe God wills to save who He wills to save. I don't know how He deals with children because, honestly, He's never told us. Personally, I do not see how a child who has not had a chance to believe can be condemned but I can not say for certain what happens. But I do know one thing: God is good and God is just. If I believe in the God of the Bible, I know that He will do what is right. I trust Him with the two children I conceived who never had a chance to see the light of this world. If He willed to not save them for whatever reason, I know it was right. If He willed to save them, I know it was right. I know God's character. He's my daddy and I trust Him.

5. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Calvin apparently believed it, but I do not. I think Calvin supported infant baptism (as the sign of the convenant) and a "spiritual presence" of Christ in the Lord's supper (if I remember correctly what others have said .)

I have never read much of Calvin.

But, concerning the doctrines of predestination, election, effectual calling, perseverence of the saints and total inability of man to come to God without God's intervention .... scripture seemed very clear to me as I read it on my own.

As far as Calvinists being afraid of having children, the OP assumes that those who support the doctrines of Grace believe they have the supernatural ability to determine who is going to be saved. That is rubbish.

I pray for the salvation of my children (as well as others). I ask God to intervene in their lives. I ask God to violate their human will, to draw them (as He as promised to those who come to Christ), to bring them to salvation. I ask Him to have mercy, and to transform their lives according to His good pleasure by the power of Holy Spirit.

On the other hand, I wonder if the Arminians pray that God just stay alert and be ready to save their children, should the children decide of their own free will to come to Christ (even though scripture clearly says no one can come unless the Father draw them).

I wonder if they pray according to what they believe (as I do)? Perhaps they say,

"Father, go ahead and draw my children... but don't violate their free-will in the process. I know you are able to bring them to salvation, since you are all powerful and I fully accept your sovereignty... except in the area of salvation... because I know You have left that up to us...

...Just give them a little nudge in the right direction, but don't violate their free-will because everybody knows that human free will is the most important thing in the universe. I know that unless they love you of their own free-will, it isn't really the kind of love you want."

Nooooo! I don't think so. I suspect arminians and calvinists pray very similar prayers when it comes to their children.

peace to you:praying:

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

How can this help if God has already determined before the foundation of the world that they are not the elect?

7. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, considering your POV, I guess I could ask you why bother God at all by praying for someone's salvation, since God isn't going to intervene in their lives and violate their free will?

Prayer, all prayer IMHO, is for our benefit. It helps us to be more Christlike... to pour out our hearts on behalf of others.

I don't do it to change God's mind. I do it in hopes my mind will be more closely aligned to the mind of Christ, that my will.... will be more aligned with God's will.

I don't know who God has chosen for salvation. Nothing would make me happier than for the whole world to come to salvation today, every single person on the planet.... however, I don't think that will happen because it would be contrary to what God has revealed in His Word.

I do think your question demonstrates a lack of understanding on your part of what "reformed" folks believe. You seem to view us as callous, unfeeling intellectuals that want to declare ourselves to be saved but believe very few others are.

I can think of no one I know of the "reformed" position, that doesn't have a heartfelt urgency to proclaim the gospel to people, to pray for their salvation, to ask God to have mercy on others as He has had mercy on themselves.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How so? I said they have "hope". If they do not believe, it is not because God did not give them hope for salvation. Jesus is hope for every man, not just some.

I think John Calvin was rather presumptuous saying that all children of believers will be saved.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Amen....... (dots to make the post longer - LOL)

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

After salvation, do you have free will? If so, does God ever "violate" your free will?
    When you sin, is it of your own free will? If so, why doesn't God step in before you sin and "violate" your free will? Thereby keeping you sinless?

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Unless you believe in universal reconciliation, or that all persons are saved from birth, that the onus of your position is no different than that of the Calvinist. Any Christian who is a believer in original sin, grace through faith, exclusivistic terms of salvation has no different positin than the Calvinist when it comes to their children.

Do you believe in univerisal reconciliation?
    Do you believe that all the children of a Christian parent will always be saved?

12. Winman

Winman Active Member

God doesn't violate their free will, but that doesn't mean he can't exert an influence on them, that doesn't mean he can't call and plead with them to come to Christ. Anybody who has ever dealt with a car saleman knows they can exert an influence on you, persuade you to buy a car when you just came to look that day. They don't pay those guys just to annoy you when you look for cars.

I have some family members who are very obstinate toward Christ. I pray and ask God that he would be merciful and not give them up. I pray he will do everything possible to bring them to Christ. Who knows, God may have given them up a long time ago if not for my prayers.

But in Calvinism a prayer for a loved one is meaningless. If God has already decided they are not the elect, then all your prayers are a meaningless waste of time.

Prayer is meaningless if God has already decided what is going to take place.

I didn't say anything like that. I think what you just said is amazing, and shows that deep down you see some problems with your system.

#32 Winman, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2010
  13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I respect you OR; I will not insult you and say things about you that are untrue. So please, have the same respect toward those who disagree with you.

I am not putting myself in the place of God, deciding who receives Christ or not. I am simply believing what I think the Bible teaches. I agree that God could have decided and completely left man out of the picture, but according to the teachings of the Bible, I don't think He did it that way.

If God, in His sovereignty decided to allow a man to choose, then no one is usurping God's authority, we are just doing what He allowed.

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I don't agree with your position on Calvinism, but I admire you for your faith in our heavenly Father!

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

First off, I wouldn't compare God to a car saleseman.

But what you're saying is that God begs and pleads but man's will is stronger than God's will?

How do we know that they are NOT one of the elect and God will not use our prayers to bring them to Christ AND to sanctify us? Why pray for a healing if God has decided that one will die anyway? Why don't we just let it all happen however it's going to happen?

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a human will. Prior to salvation, it was enslaved to sin. I know this because Jesus said so. (John 8:34) The slave does the will of this master. I know this because the Apostle Paul, under the inspiration of Holy Spirit said so. (Romans 7).

Prior to salvation, my will was in bondage to sin. I was not the master of my own destiny. If God had not intervened in my life and brought me to salvation, I would still be enslaved to sin.
    My human will is still prone to fall short of God's expectations. I am accountable for my sin.
    I don't have "free will". I have "human will".

God has not promised to "step in" before I sin to keep me from sinning by "violating" my will. I don't know why.

He has promised Holy Spirit to convict me and bring me to repentance when I sin. He has promised to discipline those that He loves when they sin and grieve Holy Spirit. Christ has promised to intercede before the Father when the devil brings accusations. God has promised forgiveness should I confess my sin and ask for it.

Why doesn't He violate my human will to keep me from sinning? Probably to keep my humble, I guess. To make sure I always rely upon Him to strengthen me. To make sure I never forget what I was before He brought me to salvation so that I can have compassion toward others who are, themselves, enslaved to sin.

That's my best guess.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You guess? It doesn't seem very wise to me to base your doctrine on a guess.

So, God "violates" your "human will" by saving you, but doesn't violate your human will to keep you from sinning. And that makes sense to you?

18. OldRegular

You are right. I should not have written what I did to you because you always have been respectful to me.

As far as children GOD told us to be fruitful when it came to bearing children so we should be obedient to HIM. I certainly understand your concern about the Salvation of any children you may have. I simply have more faith in the Grace of GOD than I do in the so-called free will of man.

19. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

As most of you know, I'm no longer a Calvinist, but back when I was one and this question was posed to me I would answer: "Would you rather trust our perfect God, or your imperfect child with their eternal salvation?"

Interestingly enough, that answer still applies now that I'm not a Calvinist...though I now acknowledge my child's responsibility in his salvation I still must ultimately trust God with all things. (and I mean responsibility in the sense of "response-able" meaning able to willingly respond, so don't give me the whole, "Calvinists believe in responsibility too" line...)

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe a person can come to salvation without God "exerting" an influence on them? Does He exert the same amount of influence with each person? Why or why not?
    I guess we'll disagree on whether my prayers are a waste of time or not. I don't think so.
    You are the one asking why Calvinists pray at all. You are the one saying that Calvinist's prayers are a waste of time and meaningless. Obviously, that is how you believe "calvinists" should view their own prayers, which is utter nonsense.

BTW, my "system" is:

1. read the bible

2. understand the words that are written

3. understand the context in which the words are written

4. if my opinion differs from what the bible says, change my opinion

My "system" has worked pretty well, so far. I have no "problem" with my system. If I am in error. I will change my mind.

You, however, have not convinced me that I am in error.