1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If invited to speak at a church...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Dec 29, 2010.

1. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I'm trying not to "think" anything concerning them. I'm trying not to jump to conclusions and make assumptions. That's hard to do.

How do you know if they would disallow a preacher who went to the movies? They never said that on the form. How do you know they don't hold a preacher to a higher standard than a regular member? That's my whole point. We know next to nothing about this church but we sure are ready to throw out accusations and jump to conclusions.

I'll give you a great example of our ignorance in this matter and how ridiculous our judgements of them are. They ask about the eschatological beliefs of the minister. They ask about pre-mil, amil, pre-trib post-trib and mid-trib rapture, and etc. From that, can someone please tell me what that congregation beleives? Would marking no on pre-mil put me at odds with their beliefs? What about post-trib? Yep, let's jump to conclusions, claim they are judgemental Pharisees, and avoid them like the plague.

2. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Brother, if you could prove one bit of that nonsense you typed I'd like to see it. It's obvious you haven't read one thing I've posted. I've clearly stated in my post that I wasn't justifying myself. In order for me to be "Luke18ish" I'd have to do that. I didn't. In fact, I cast my so-called high mighty self in with the rest of the board and said "we" repeatedly. The Pharisee in Luke 18 never said that. Oh, but don't that let stop you. 1 Corinthians 10:12? Gimme a break.

Hang it up? You haven't dealt with one thing I've posted. You haven't even attempted to. Hang it up? Please. You can hang it up until you deal with the hypocrisy displayed in this thread. You've yet to deal with it.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh trust me, I looked at their site - they have PLENTY to find out what they believe.

4. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So you went to their site to find out what they believed, but accused them of judging you? I'm still waiting to find out how they actually judged you.

5. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually I think it is a very good idea to have a form for candidates who seek to fill a pastoral position. I would not want a pastor who will not say what he believes. The form just saves time. At the same time I think it is also a good idea for a candidate to ask similar question about the church.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, in the writings of that church, they have already judged my church for using contemporary music. They have condemned me for allowing even a mention of Santa in my home. Of course my reformed theology is concerning as well. Yep, they are judging me very clearly.

7. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

Yes, I'd fill it out, sign it and let the Holy Spirit through me preach to them His words.:jesus::thumbs:

8. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I would graciously return the form and inform the pastor that I am not interested in speaking at his church.

I had forgotten that such documents exist. In the mid-70s I saw a similar one.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Bwahahhahahahha. Seriously? Let us all fill one out and mail it to each other.

10. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now, that is funny.:laugh:

11. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree, but my dh provided that info with his resume, doctrinal beliefs, etc. It wasn't the beliefs that bothered us so much, as asking personal info like height and weight and medical issues.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

If they didn't know me well enough to know my views, I'd wonder why they wanted me in the first place.

But I'd love to preach the Bible at a place like this. They need it.

13. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

I am not sure about the situation of the church you are referring to, but some churches are interested in the health of a potential pastor because it bears on his ability to perform the job (there is a local pastor who just recently resigned his church because of his poor health). I have found that there is usually something in the history of the church that leads to this sort of thing being emphasized. Perhaps a previous pastor was in poor health and this has overly weighed into their future concerns.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep in mind that this OP is not about calling a new pastor - but only for somone who is going to speak on a one time basis

15. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The only question they missed was "What does your wife wear to bed?" No kidding- that was an actual question on a questionnaire mailed out to missionaries not many years ago. God forbid my wife should wear pajama pants to bed!

Thank the Lord I left that type of controlling church a long time ago.

16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

You've got to be kidding me. What in the world was the intent behind this nonsense?

Unreal. I am glad to be away from that also. :thumbs:

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I spoke one time at a church where----the church wasn't KJVO but the pastor was

And in my message I quoted a reference text from the NAS----one verse---and I told the congregation that the NAS verse is clearer than the KJV verse of whatever it was I was quoting

I never got an invitation back!!!

18. preacher4truth

lol...I think I preached there once too.

In our fellowship I had been invited to speak many times, and even though they knew I wasn't KJVO, and didn't have the same legalistic stance, my manner also being to expose the folly of this "biblical" view of theirs in my preaching, I was still invited back. Some were mad, some were glad, even the mad ones would tell me they got to thinking about what they believed and would take a look at it again in light of Scriptures.

BTW, I just switched to the NASB on Christmas day. I am really enjoying its text. Leaving the KJV has also left behind some guilt associated with it.

#58 preacher4truth, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
  19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

A word of encouragement here----don't go "Cold turkey" on the KJV----leaving the KJV and switching over to the NAS is like switching from a Lincoln Town Car to a Cadallac Coup de Ville

Keep both the Lincoln and the Caddy---and drive whichever one has the most gas in it at the time!!!!:thumbsup::type:

20. preacher4truth

Absolutely! I read the NASB and say "what!?" and turn to the KJV and recall what it said. I also look at other versions as well, but have adopted the NASB as my teaching/studying/memorizing text.

Thanks for your advice. :thumbs: