1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If it's new it ain't true

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This is an unwarranted claim.

Prove it or it is just meant to inflame.

Where am I wrong? Show us and cite your sources.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Tertullian is his Prescriptions Against Heretics wisely said:

It is clear that all doctrine which agrees with the Apostolic churches- those molds and original sources of the Faith,- must be considered true, as undoubtedly containing what those churches received from the Apostles, those Apostles from Christ and Christ from God. And all doctrine must be considered false which contradicts the truth of the churches and Apostles of Christ.

I think we need a revival of this thinking.

And we have so much more available to us today than Tertullian had.

The church has hammered out since Tertullian hypostasis, the Trinity, Grace, etc...

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And no Calvinists in your church existed before Calvin! :rolleyes:
    But we do have some pretty aged people sitting on those pews.
    There is plenty of evidence, especially taking into consideration the meaning of the name: ana-baptist--to baptize again. It was given out of hatred and disparagement. Those that baptized again (after conversion) were persecuted, and that happened hundreds of years before the Reformation, and for that very reason. These same people were also known as the Albigenses and Waldenses. The testimony of Cardinal Hosius is that the Waldenses existed for these last 1200 years right back to the Apostles. For being Bible-believers, Christians, Innocent III tried to wipe the Albigenses off the face of the map. There are many other groups but that is enough for now.
    I am not an SBC, nor do I subscribe to all their beliefs whatever they may be.
    That again means nothing to me. It is a claim you make. I don't know why. Which reformer do they come from?
    We are independent. We are fundamental.
    An individual came here and started this church. There is no successionism involved. The local church was started by a church planter (like Paul), and thus it exists. Most of the churches in our area have been started that way. We are independent, autonomous, not belonging to any denomination, association, etc. You can't try and associate us with "roots" because we don't have any, and neither did the churches that Paul started. Their foundation was the Word of God. The head of each church was Christ. This type of church has existed all throughout history.
    Then you shouldn't be condemning premillenialism, dispensationalism, etc. Diversity is good. BTW, taken into the general scheme of things these doctrines are not that new. Premillenialism is simply a natural outgrowth of the ECF's belief in Chiliasm.
    This is where you are dead wrong. It is where you need to study.
    The origins of the Catholic Church are closely tied to Constantine, and thus did not start until the fourth century. There was corruption in the early churches. Not all of them, but some of them. That is the reason Montanus (ca. 150) separated from them. His emphasis was on purity. He emphasized to his followers the importance of living a pure life separated from the corruption of the world. If you remember Tertullian became a Montanist near the end of his life.
    Now you are playing a game of semantics. We aren't using the word that way are we.
    No it doesn't. Are you advocating the ecumenical movement. I don't believe in the universal church. I believe in churches, as the word ekklesia means--or assemblies.
    Your theology is flawed. There is no one Catholic body.
    The word may mean 'universal' in some cases, but we haven't been using it that way.
    We were not discussing the word "catholic". We were discussing the RCC. There have always been opponents of the RCC, many of whom have been Baptistic in nature, right from the Apostles onward. That you don't seem to accept. Baptists don't come from the Reformation. From which reformer do you think they came from?? They were well before the Reformation and have always protested against the heresies of the RCC.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Wow Luke, I understand a lot more about you after this post. I too was raised for a time in the FreeWill Baptist Church and even considered attending college at the Nashville campus. But by that time, I was already rejecting the overt attempts at legalism that was invading the denomination (early 80s). My grandfather in fact had been an itinerant Free Will preacher (among other things) during my mother's childhood (40's & 50'). As a child I sat for many hours just out of sight of the men listening to them argue over this point or another of doctrine. Then as I got older and began to read the scriptures for myself, I learned they were ALL wrong on one point or another. :eek: And it didn't matter if they were Free Will or not (and quite a few of my uncles were not!)

"He who disregards history is doomed to repeat it." (Churchill?) But while this is a good point, you can't say that just because a people have believed something for centuries or millenia even that everything they espoused can be held sacred. We have a Guide Book that we are to compare our doctrines and our beliefs too. And while we can consider what the ancients thought, we have to determine for ourselves whether or not they were or rather are still correct.

Cultural understandings change. Just as those early theologians believed heartily that the earth was flat, they may also be just as wrong in how they hold more important doctrines/beliefs.

The RC is a good example of bad doctrine evolving over 2000 years of history. But where they went wrong was on doctrines that were CLEARLY opposed to the scriptures. The RC continued on, because during those times they had the power, the military might to force their beliefs on people who didn't know any better.

We can't just look back and say, "well this doctrine is x amount of years old so it must necessarily contain some truth". We also can't reject a doctrine just because the RC was the first to propose it. We must compare all doctrine, new or old, to the plain reading of scripture and the guidance of the Holy Spirit within us.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

s:

You've already admitted that that isn't true.

Get your story straight.

I'll deal with this later.

But for a quick response go to my thread in the fundamentalist forum.

Did your churches not split from SBC or the Northern Baptists?

The church where you were saved, was it not an IFB church and did it not split off from one of the major protestant denominations?

If not, was it not started by someone who is from a church that split off of a Protestant denomination?

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I can relate.

But no one is arguing that. No one has said that if it is old it IS true.

What we are saying is that if it is NEW (in the sense that it has no historical roots) then it is almost assuredly NOT true.

It is rejection of this fact that gave rise to Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jim Jones, David Koresh and every other heresy we battle in our day.

Doctrines that are not damnable like those listed above still must be submitted to this scrutiny- If it is new, if the Christian church NEVER believed anything close to this- then it is PROBABLY VERY wrong.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think church history is important for many reasons, but the first place we should go to scrutinize doctrines is to the word of God. What does God say? Then we can research the historical teachings.

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

The response was:

I believe this is accurate. Why does the modern day Calvinist refuse to acknowledge this fact. Both Luther and Calvin were Catholics.

I believe the true church goes back much farther than this. It goes back through the Apostles all the way to Jesus and the doctrine he preached. It's true that Luther started the Reformation with his 95 thesis, but he only returned to the idea of justification by faith, which the true church had never left.

Other than this, both Luther and Calvin did little except muddy the waters and start an elitist sect that continues to this day. Some here on this site constantly mention how important advanced theological education is to the point of disdain toward those who disagree. It is almost like a return back to the Catholic Church from whence some of their doctrine came. Next these posters might be advocating a return to infant baptism, something both Luther and Calvin never got away from.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I don't know of anybody denying it. So what?

It does not matter what you believe- it only matters what is true.

Where is this "True Church"?

See, I think the problem folks have here is that they don't understand what it has historically mean to be catholic.

They hear the word "catholic" and they think Mariolatry, and ex cathedra and indulgences, etc...

That is a very uninformed way to think of the word "catholic".

These kinds of comments are exactly why thinking people advocate advanced theological education.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

But I don't think anybody is arguing otherwise.

What we are saying is that we NEED help from one another to properly understand the great truths of Scripture.

God never intended for the whole Bible to be fully understood by one man interpreting it in a vacuum.

God always intended for the Body of Christ to have to work together to do everything it does.

The hand NEEDS the foot and the eye needs the arm etc...

And you and I need the help of Christians who span the ages to properly understand the great truths of Scripture like the Trinity and the Incarnation, etc...

So when one person comes along and says, "God speaks to me and I don't care what the Church says- this is true and here are my proof texts..."

We say, "You are a dangerous person."

If ALL OF US would do that- Joel Osteen, Rob Bell, Mormonism, etc... could hardly thrive in this culture.

But it is when we STOPPED doing that, when we started thumbing our nose at the Historic Christian Faith that we invited these heresies to thrive in our culture.

12. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Hey Ruiz

Ruiz, ask Luke if there was any church other than the RCC for 1200 years.

You ask me for one example...here it is.

John the cultist

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You don't understand the nature of the RCC.

It had a secular nature as well as a spiritual nature.

Within both natures there were all kinds of beliefs about all kinds of things.

Within the secular RCC were thousands of real Christians who made up The Church.

Illustration:

The SBC has 16 millions members. Adrian Rogers, a once president of the SBC, said that eighty percent of the SBC is unconverted.

So within the SBC were all kinds of people who believed all kinds of things.

But among those people are many real Christians who, along with others, make up THE CHURCH.

Illustration 2:
    There are denominations which ordain homosexuals, like the Episcopalian denomination.
    WITHIN the ranks of that denomination are people who are against this. Some of them are very vocal and some of them are not. But many of these people in this movement are as saved as I am. Those people are in a movement that has gradually gone astray and they hope to reform it from within.

These people, along with others, make up THE CHURCH.

THE CHURCH in 1517 was held captive by a movement which had gradually gone horribly astray for many years.
    Then POST TENEBRAS LUX! After darkness, LIGHT!

In similar fashion as God brought light to his people who'd for hundreds of years been in bondage in Egypt, God brought light to his people again.

Like our episcopalian brethern who wish to reform the backsliding, perhaps even apostate, Episcopalian church from within, Luther, wished to Reform the Catholic Church.

God had other plans for Luther.

And here we are.

#53 Luke2427, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
  14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

This is why I don't respond to posters like Luke2427, it is a waste of time to argue with someone who is as devoted to advanced theological education as much as to the simple teachings of the Word of God.

I don't believe God needs any help; you would think a Calvinist would agree. The reason the don't is obvious. According to some we would not be able to read the Word of God and be saved. We need their theological help to even believe the Gospel. We both know that few, if any, would read the bible and come up with Calvinism without outside influence. Unfortunately, this is true of many things served up as necessary by the church today.

Personally I believe that God is able to bring conviction through the preaching and reading of the Word of God without any help at all from man. Perhaps that is the difference between a theology that relies upon our educational ability and one that doesn't.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

This indicates that you don't understand what advanced theological education is.

IT IS THE STUDY OF THE WORD OF GOD.

How anybody could be against that is beyond me.

#55 Luke2427, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2011
  16. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

...same here.

How someone can call the Word of God "simple" seemingly hasn't done much real study of it. The more you learn, the more questions you have, and the more complex it becomes.

17. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

There is so much to address on this issue. First, while Luther and Calvin began as Catholics, no one can doubt they left the church and were willing to die for their doctrines.

Next, to say that they were an elitist sect goes beyond all the historic evidence. Rather, if you read Calvin you note that he is meticulous to tracing his doctrine both historically and Biblically. Calvin agreed that if there was not a historic understanding of these doctrines, that he invented them, then he needed to reconsider his view.

I don't think they muddied the waters, but clarified them. Have you read the Institutes or Luther's Bondage of the Will? Extreme care and detailed clarity exists in these works.

As for Paedo-Baptism, I disagree with both of them. However, I do not view their belief as Catholic as it predated the Catholic church by a long stretch. Calvin's and Luther both rejected the Catholic view of Baptism, but they kept paedo-baptism.

Yet, all this is begging the question. If it is new, it is not true.

While Calvin and Luther rejected adamantly the Roman Dogma, they embraced theology that was historic.

While I believe there were true churches in existence when the Reformation began, I also believe God brought out true Christians from the Catholic church at that time too.

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

If your theology is new, doesn't that bother you?

KJVO is new.

Teetotalism is new.

This idea that God speaks to you apart from Scripture is new.

Mormonism, JW's, Jim Jones, David Koresh, Rob Bell's universalism, are all new.

Does this not concern you?

Do you not see the importance of making certain that what you think is consistent with the Historic Christian Faith?

19. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Some believe this is a strictly calvinistic experience, but I got this from Liberty where I attended Seminary.

Secondly, are we advocating that new theology is acceptable? Really?

We will embrace something that has not been scrutinized throughout history?

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I agree 100%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.