1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If Jesus is the Bridegroom, why do we marry?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by knasmom, Jun 21, 2008.

1. knasmom

knasmom New Member

This is something that puzzles me. The analogy of Jesus as tbe bridegroom. If Jesus is the bridegroom, and I beleive he is because the bible says he is, what is the logic of our marrying and taking a groom on earth? Shouldn't we be saving ourselves for the real bridegroom?

I'd appreciate any help anyone can lend to help me understand this analogy. What am I missing?

Thanks

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Because we're told to in Scripture?

Because we're sinners who struggle with lust?

Because God wants us to know what the relationship between us and the Son is supposed to be like ideally?

#2 annsni, Jun 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
  3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Because Jesus isn't married to me personally. He is (or will be) married to "the church". The church is the bride, not each individual person, otherwise Jesus would have a lot of wives! :laugh:

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

right on Amy, also it is spiritual Bridegroom and not a natural one.

BBob,

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes, I left that out. Thanks! :wavey:

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible also calls Christ a shepard, as well as a sheep.

Well which is he?

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I know Jesus is called a lamb, but where is He called a sheep?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Because I am not the bride of Christ, the church is. Because ideally the marriage relationship should picture the relationship of Christ and the church.

9. knasmom

knasmom New Member

I think this is what I don't get. The "bride" analogy. A woman is a bride the church is not a woman. Obviously, Christ isn't taking millions of brides. How does the church join as a single body to become the bride of Christ?

I know this has to be talking figuratively. However, I would think separating ourselves from the flesh would make more sense than taking a human groom. Sometimes, I think I should have become a nun.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

The church is one, one body of beleivers. That body of believers is the bride of Christ. We are all joined together by God, by His Holy Spirit indwelling us. (I know someone will post some big long explanation about this) Marriage is biblical, and created by God, if it were wrong to marry God would not have given it.

11. CarpentersApprentice

However, the earliest Christians did refer to the church as "mother":

Mother Church

CA

12. CarpentersApprentice

Whew! Good save!

CA

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God chose marriage as the example of Christ's love and sacrifice for the church. He also created marriage. Just as God said "the two become one flesh", we become one with Christ when we are born again. It's a perfect comparison and helps us to understand our relationship with Him.

14. knasmom

knasmom New Member

I guess I'm having a hard time with the church being compared to a single person. And the relationship between two people being compared to the relationship of Christ to the church and the many people who make up the church. Christ cant' be married to many people yet it's described as a marriage. As if the church acts as a single being that could be married off.

Sometimes, when the bible starts talking in analogies, they just don't click for me.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Christ isn't married to many people, He is the bridegroom of a body. It is described as marriage because of the intimate relationship within a marriage pictures the churches intimate relationship with Jesus.

16. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Perhaps one of the other pictures used of the church in the bible might help here. Romans 12.4-5:

4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.