1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If my people...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by HAMel, May 25, 2011.

1. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Familiar Scripture that we all know...

"If my people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear fromheaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." II Chronicles7:14

Isn't it odd that our Lord has to remind His people to be humble?

Do you consider yourself to be humble?

I suppose that the minute any of us consider ourselves to be humble then we are taking pride in our humbleness. Wham. We lose. Ore any of you proud of your humbleness?

Satan was thrust out of heaven because of his pride. What comes to mind is his five declarations and intent of exalting himself.

Christians are told otherwise.

Matt 23:12, "And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted."

I Peter 5:6, "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time."

James 4:10, "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He shall lift you up."

Consider Isaiah 57:12 & Matthew 6:5,6

Two went into the temple to pray. The one thanked God that he was not like other men... The other would not so much as raise his head toward Heaven but asked the Lord to forgive him, for he was a sinner.

Does humility recognize who God really is?

As I recall the root word for humility is to lay prostrate on the ground with ones face in the dirt.

...and the Lord has to remind His people to be humble. Sad, isn't it? But we are all human and we all stumble. All that we have and all that we are is of the Lord.

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Show of hands, please.

Please raise your hand if you are humble. :tongue3:

In all seriousness, God has ways to humble us if we don't heed His warnings.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Walking humbly with my God" is a character trait of God's own.

BTW, how on earth do you relate this promise (II Chron 7:14) of the OT to Israel to any nation today?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Michelle Bentham says: (scroll down about 1.2 way)

Some of the best words I have ever gotten are when a “secular” song is rolling through my mind and God reframes it for me.
    This morning when I was taking Scott to work… No kidding… I had “Oh Lord, It’s hard to be humble when you’re perfect in every way…. I can’t wait to look in the mirror ’cause I get better lookin’ each day. To know me is to love me I must be a …. of a ….”
    Okay, so I was thinking to myself, “God, why is that the song in my heart today?”
    This is what came out: “Oh Lord, I can’t help but be humble when You’re perfect in every way. I’m glad Your my mirror so I grow in Your image each day. To know You is to love You, You are so full of grace… Oh Lord, I can’t help but be humble, and I give you all of my praise.”
    HA! I finished it. I got stuck after to “Know You is to love You…”
    Okay, not average, but it is just what happened. For reals

music by Mac Davis

5. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

umm..I'm working on it ..hehe

6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'For the things that were written aforetime[i.e. In the OT]were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope' (Rom 15:4). The Old Testament is for us.

Here are a couple of articles on 2Chron 7:14 which may perhaps be of interest. The second one deals with humility.

http://marprelate.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/looking-to-god-for-revival-1/

http://marprelate.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/looking-to-god-for-revival-2/

Steve

#6 Martin Marprelate, May 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2011
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Oh, I know I'm humble...in fact I'm the most humble here :)

8. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

Wow.. I agree.. you win! When I grow up I want to be as humble as webdog :) :thumbsup::tongue3: