1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If Palin is Guilty

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by LeBuick, Sep 11, 2008.

1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Just curious, what happens if Palin is found guilty of trooper gate? Can she still be VP or would she be disqualified?

I can't find anything official that explains the consequences of this investigation.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know. I think a decision will be rendered about October 31st,mere days before the election.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

What could she actually be charged with? If she were actually brought to trial and convicted then congress could remove her as vp under impeachment.

Article II, section 4 of the constitution says:
    But what could she actually be convicted of. I read a lot on the troopergate deal. The guy was real slime abusing children (used his state issued tazer on his own kids) and making death threats against Palin's father. I can't imagine that she will be found guilty of anything more than not following proper procedure.

But I guess you never know, Palin does have a lot of enemies within the Alaskan political establishment.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose it is possible there are 'abuse of power' laws in Alaska, and there must be ethical/unthethical laws. Hard to tell. But if she is found to be guilty it surely would effect the election.

5. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

What could she be guilty of?

She is only being scrutinized because the abuses by this trooper were made against Palin's own family. If, for instance, if it had been someone else's family that he had threatened and abused, and Palin had taken on the cause for justice, then in that case she would regarded as a hero, and a champion of the people. But because it involved her own family, her motives are questioned.

If this trooper is as much of a slime ball as is reported, then she is right to seek his removal regardless if her own family is invovled or not. Just because Palin is protecting her own family doesnt make her wrong. She actually probably has MORE evidence and has no doubt about his abuses simply because she witnessed it firsthand.

Unfortunately, police have a habit of protecting one another, and often overlook crimes made by other cops that they would lock me and you up for in a heartbeat. And I have no doubt that this troopers supervisors know more facts about him than they will ever admit to. They love to police the public, but resist policing themselves, hence the need for Palin to use executive power to try to put a stop to the abuse.

Why should a publically elected official be obligated to seek justice for the people they represent, but be scrutinized for seeking justice for their own family? Should the family of a governor be denied justice because justice would be seen as the governor "abusing their power"?

AJ

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Troopergate is not just about the trooper in question, but whether is was ethical in the way Palin put pressure on Walt Monegan to fire Wooten. Wooten is secondary in this investigation, or so it seems.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

An abusive cop is an abusive cop. Or perhaps the government officials should over look cops that abuse.

8. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

It appears that there would be no troopergate without Wooten, so how can he be secondary?

And let me say this again, if the trooper was abusive and his superiors refused to remove him from the force, (even cover for him), then Palin was right and justified to use her power to get it done. If Monegan was aware of the abuse and covered it up instead of taking action, then he should have been fired.

Even if they find that he was fired as a direct result of the Wooten abuse, and as a result of preasure by Palin, that doesnt mean Palin was wrong. If the abuse allegations are true, and the refusal of Monegan to remove him even though he was found to be abusive is found to be true, then Palin was right all along.

This could very well back-fire on the liberals that are calling for her head.

Anyway? Cant a governor replace any state employee they choose? Does she even have to give a reason?

AJ

9. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

What this boils down to is this. If the left can manufacture some sort of ethics question about Palin, then they can create doubt in voters minds.

This is nothing more than them digging and fishing and trying to use whatever they can find to create that doubt, and they would love nothing more than to destroy Palin's career as a politician. It doesnt matter if she is guilty of anything or not, just destroy her at all costs.

AJ

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, the number of Palin threads is amazing! The Lib's must be terrified of this election :laugh:

What happened to McCain?

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

You would think it's Palin running for president. Liberals are confused it seems.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Actually I was sincere with my question. I wanted to know the ramifications if she is found guilty.

Also, I've been reading on the trial, I think no one has a question as to if the guy should have been fired. Yes he should. Tasing his kid etc...

However, there is a process for such actions especially when there is a union involved. It appears Palin didn't want to wait for due process and decided things should move faster. When things didn't move as she expected, she fired the head of public safety. That appears to be the meat of the trial.

Having said this, the officer is not the one on trial. It boils down to if the head of public safety was proper in his handling of the matter. I know with union environments there are often factors we unprotected people do understand.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

Apparently there is a process and his superiors refused to follow it because he was one of them. Someone in authority has to take responsibility and do soemthing. If she had done nothing we'd be discussing why and how uncaring she was.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are making a huge assumption and you know what they say about assumptions don't you.

Could be he followed the right procedure and found there were not sufficient grounds to fire the trooper. It could be she violated the procedure with the pressure she put on him after he made his decision. You don't know. I don't know. Let the investigation find what it finds.

The trooper was not the only person she tried to have fired while mayor and governor. It appears she wanted anyone fired who dared to disagree with her .. and that is bad. I know, I worked in a company that had a woman with that attitude and she destroyed many careers for that very reason.

She is running for an office that is one heart beat away from being our president. That is why she and anyone runnning for that office should be examined very closely. It is a very serious matter.

15. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Soooo????? Are you implying that this is typical for women that are in charge?:laugh:

Thats not very PC.

AJ

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now, now that is a very dangerous question. :laugh:

No, but during my life experiences I have found that very ambitious men and women are often not pleasant to work around and a person best watch their back, front, and sides when working around them.

17. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Well, I have to admit that I have worked for several women that were good bosses, but I have had the oppurtunity to work for a couple that were on a mission to prove themselves. You couldnt even ask them a simple question like what they wanted for lunch without them fussing about it. These two women would hire and fire on the basis of personal whims, and who they thought were supportive of them or not. The only thing that mattered to them was their personal success, us employees were just "tools" for them to use to acheive that success.

I have known only a couple of celebrity types in my life, and both of them were completely different people than what they portrayed themselves to be to the public. My point is, there is no way for us to really know what Sarah Palin's demeanor is or what motivates her. It could be a genuine desire to serve or it could be a quest for power. ( like Hillary)

Perhaps the results of this investigation will give us better insight as to just who she really is.

Either way tho, I still have to vote for McCain:thumbs:

AJ

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you made an assumption about Hillary. I do not believe either of us know for sure. But my feeling is that almost all politicians are driven by ambition.

And on women bosses ... the best boss I ever had was a woman ... and the worst boss I ever had was a woman. Oh, and to do away with any doubt, yes I also had men bosses.

19. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I agree, it's Palin this and Palin that.

I think since this is the first woman to run for president with an actual chance of winning, it has caused a lot of excitement. I also think that many Obama supporters feel that Obama has been attacked, so this is a chance to get even.

I think that during the presidential debates much attention given to Palin will be directed at McCain and Obama, as it should be. I look forward to hearing both of them. Who knows, I might change my vote if it looks like McCain will be the better choice. (Believe it or not, my commitment to Obama is not set in concrete).

20. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Actually, I was raised in Little Rock, and both my parents worked jobs that put them in contact with the Clintons. My dad as a state employee, and my mom as accounting director for a huge United Way agency, so, I have met them several times, even ran into them in stores and restraunts at times....If I spoke with them today I doubt they would remember me, but they would certainly know who my parents were, and even my sister. who Bill offered a state job to....hmmmmm....knowing now what we know now, I am glad she didnt take him up on it.:laugh:

Of course my opinion of Hillary is certainly just my opinion, but I believe it is based on years of living under their administration in Arkansas and even some first hand contact.

She was known as a ruthless lawyer and business person in Little Rock years before she was ever known nationally. Her fits and tirades in the governor's mansion are legendary, and there are even official reports of the police being called there for "domestic arguments".

I am just praying that Palin doesnt turn out to be as ruthless as Hillary.

AJ