1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IF Rejecting Jesus is What Condems, Until one Hears Gospel, Are they saved?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

I can't say. I always remember that the scriptures say there is no other name under heaven (Jesus) whereby we must be saved.

I was talking to my pastor about when Jesus was in hell, and I asked him if he was only in Abraham's Bosom (paradise) or the torment section where the rich man was. He said BOTH, and that he preached the gospel to those there.

I will have to ask him more, he must have scripture to support this view.

So, PERHAPS it is possible that those persons who never had the opportunity to hear the gospel hear it.

But I really can't say, so I believe we must go with what we do know, which is that the only way a person can be saved is trusting Christ.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kind of like Lazarus in the physical world...

HankD

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

The physically dead can hear God, how do you think Jesus is going to call the spiritually alive AND dead out of their graves at the resurrection?

Jn 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
    29 And they shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

The scriptures say the DEAD can hear, despite what Calvinism teaches. The rich man in hell carried on a conversation with Abraham. As long as you view spiritual death like physical death you will err.

When Jesus called Lazarus, his soul in Paradise heard Jesus, and he returned to his body and came forth as he was commanded.

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I did not doubt you, but something you wrote raised the question in my mind. Thanks for the clarification.

I think there is merit in this view. Follow the light you have, and God will give more light. God is not obligated to give more light to one who fails to follow what he has.

But, God has commanded us to carry the gospel to every creature--the Light. Can we make the case that some of them are not following the light they have, and God, in his mercy, and by his grace, is extending the gospel to those who don't deserve it?

I like your view, but I have this nagging question that I'm missing something.

5. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Well said. :thumbs:

No one is "deserving," however God in his mercy extends the gospel anyway because He is Love and he desires all to come to repentance and to be saved.

6. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. RAdam

RAdam New Member

So God is going to judge people based on their own idea of morality? So if a person thinks that sodomy is moral, God isn't going to judge them to have sinned? If a person thinks it is perfectly ok to commit rampant fornication, God won't judge them to have sinned?

You do realize that the people who were a law unto themselves did the law despite not having the written law and thus showed the work of the law written on their hearts. It didn't say a law was written on their hearts, or their own law was written on their hearts. It said the law was written on their hearts. By the way, that passage also says they by nature did these things. The same human author tells us that man's carnal mind is emnity against God and is not subject to the law of God. It cannot be by man's outward nature that these gentiles did the things contained in the law, it must be by another nature. Paul went on to say that the inward man (spiritual nature) is that which delights in the law of God. Hence, these gentiles are born again.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    winman you really don't know what I believe about this matter.
    If God wants the dead to hear, they will hear.

In case you don't know brother, I am not a calvinist.

HankD

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Well, sorry about that Hank! Just goes to show that the written word can be misleading, I took your last post as sarcasm, as Calvinists often use Lazarus as a likeness to those spiritually dead. So, my apologies.

But I agree, and this is a point Calvinists seem to miss, that if the spiritually dead cannot hear God, then God is also unable to speak to the spiritually dead. So, they are limiting God's power and ability when they say this, though they never seem to realize it.

10. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In this context we can refer to the law written on the heart as one's conscience. This conscience gives them a sense of right and wrong. It either excuses or accuses them.

It's one thing to acknowledge a a moral code written on our hearts; it is quite another to keep it perfectly. To have such a code does not equate with always wanting to live by it. Even Paul acknowledge that the law was good, at the same time admitting that becoming aware of a law made him want to break it.

We know that no one ever kept the law perfectly, except Jesus.

When they stand condemned, they will acknowledge that the condemnation is just, for they knew right from wrong and willingly did wrong.

Then he can explain why God's law written on his heart excuses sodomy and rampant fornication.

11. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Here's what Paul wrote:

14For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

15Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Paul says they had not the law. Not a law, the law. The law that had been given to the Jews in written form, the Gentiles did not have. Nevertheless, they did by nature the things contained in the law. Not things contained in their own morality, which was perverted and not according to the law. How did they do this? They had the law written on their hearts. Who put it there? They didn't have some tablet of stone or scroll which told them the law. How was it put there? God wrote His law on their hearts. Now, the question them becomes how they did those things by nature when their carnal nature is not subject to the law of God. The only biblical answer is by the inward man, which delights in His law. Hence, these aren't unregenerate Gentiles whom God is judging by their own perverted morality, but born again Gentiles who have done the things contained in God's law despite not having it in written form. Now remember, this whole section of scripture is Paul speaking against the Jews for their not having kept the law, and he brings forth these Gentiles to show that just having the law isn't enough, one must perform the law.

12. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Key word: merit. We don't merit anything from Christ in our lost state, neither do we earn more light by works, nor do our works lead us to meriting salvation. There is the nagging part that you've been missing.

13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Proverbs 1:20-33

20 Out in the open wisdom calls aloud,
    she raises her voice in the public square;
    21 on top of the wall[a] she cries out,
    at the city gate she makes her speech:
    22 “How long will you who are simple love your simple ways?
    How long will mockers delight in mockery
    and fools hate knowledge?
    23 Repent at my rebuke!
    Then I will pour out my thoughts to you,
    I will make known to you my teachings
    24 But since you refuse to listen when I call
    and no one pays attention when I stretch out my hand,
    25 since you disregard all my advice
    and do not accept my rebuke,
    26 I in turn will laugh when disaster strikes you;
    I will mock when calamity overtakes you—
    27 when calamity overtakes you like a storm,
    when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind,
    when distress and trouble overwhelm you.

28 “Then they will call to me but I will not answer;
    they will look for me but will not find me,
    29 since they hated knowledge
    and did not choose to fear the LORD.
    30 Since they would not accept my advice
    and spurned my rebuke,
    31 they will eat the fruit of their ways
    and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.
    32 For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,
    and the complacency of fools will destroy them;
    33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety
    and be at ease, without fear of harm.”

Proverbs 2:1-10

1 My son, if you accept my words
    and store up my commands within you,
    2 turning your ear to wisdom
    and applying your heart to understanding—
    3 indeed, if you call out for insight
    and cry aloud for understanding,
    4 and if you look for it as for silver
    and search for it as for hidden treasure,
    5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD
    and find the knowledge of God.
    6 For the LORD gives wisdom;
    from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.
    7 He holds success in store for the upright,
    he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
    8 for he guards the course of the just
    and protects the way of his faithful ones.
    9 Then you will understand what is right and just
    and fair—every good path.
    10 For wisdom will enter your heart,
    and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, our God does as He pleases...

Psalm 115:3 But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased.​

However, I wouldn't say they are limiting God's power but believe that their view represents what God has chosen in His sovereignty.​

HankD​

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks, I think that's it.

16. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Actually ALL of us are lost in Adam, God has accounted his sin and fall has being applied to all of us...

So being born sinners, we are all estranged form God in our state/condition...

Do you hold that God has reconciled us back to Himself by the Cross, in sense that we all start out with him again on "even/level" footing, and that rejecting jesus is how one gets 'lost' again?

So IF one never hears, one stays saved?

17. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

problem with all of this is that we ALL are seen by God as being "in Adam" so we ALL are sinners condemned by our own natures BEFORE rejecting jesus...

UNLESS you hold hold to god reconciling all of us back to Himself by the Cross, giving us aa :level palying" field again...

Unless you believe in Jesus, will be condemned by being sinners, not just by rejecting jesus!

I DO hold that in the Cross, God has provided for those under age of accountibility/mentally challenged etc to be covered by Blood and be saved, also that he will have His elect to get saved from throughout the earth, but those who are adult and accountible to Him are already in a lost state and must hear Gospel to believe!

18. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    double post

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen Brother! :thumbs:

20. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

No, we are born enemies and God initiates reconciliation by sending the powerful appeal of the gospel. If we reject that appeal we are held to account. If we never hear that appeal we are held to account for whatever level of revelation we have received. Either way, it is unbelief in face of the clear revelation of God that condemns a man.

I've answered your question about those who don't hear at least twice so far... Refer back to those posts.