1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If we were to create a new Church Covenant in 2005, then what would it look like?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, May 10, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

I have been thinking of Church Covenants lately. If the English language has changed over the years, then if we were to create a new Church Covenant in 2005, then what it look like?

Do we need a new Church Covenant?

Do we use the older Church Covenant that we may or may not already have?

Some churches today may not use "Church Covenants" at all.

I am just talking and thinking out loud.

Do I have a lot to learn? Yes, I do.

The Church Covenant pasted in my father's hymnal begins: "Having been led, as we believe, by the Spirit of God to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour, and on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, we do now, in the presence of God, angels, and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another, as one body in Christ.."

Thanks for reading and responding, mr. messy

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have never been a great advocate for them myself, partly because most of the churches I've been around don't use them.

I'd guess there is good in bringing warm fuzzy feelings to people that make this public profession but its what they do in private that counts :)

It might cause one to think about their relationship to God and the church and that can never be bad so there might be a place for them.

Updating language might be okay so the younger generation doesn't feel out of place :)