1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If... When would slavery have ended?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by imported_J.R. Graves, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

RSR,

Anyhow, Apartide would not have ended in South Africa if it were not for the US pressure, at least not when it did. It was due mostly to African American concern about the issue. Only American blacks could wield that kind of power. Even now we are contributing millions to AIDS in Africa. I bet the African American influence drives that as well. So even after Joseph's enslavement, he has saved his brothers. What was meant for evil, God has used for good. But the point is, when Joseph and his brothers saw the hand of God in it all, they were unified, and they built a nation together. We are all brothers. The time for unity has come. Let the dead bury the dead. We should embrace the future together and leave the past in the past.

2. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

RSR,

You are to intelligent to compare pueblo cannibalism to the Donner party!

My point is not to establish our superiority, but to deconstruct the idea that other races and cultures are above the same old stuff. "there is nothing new under the sun, all things continue on as they have since the beginning." I feel the only superiorty a culture can claim is that which results from its true following Of Jesus. His way is always the superior way, when it is truly followed.

RSR said "I think it is clear that some cultures are more prone to racism than are others"

This is situational, and not inherent to any particular culture. All cultures are suscetible to the same old sins.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "You are to intelligent to compare pueblo cannibalism to the Donner party!"

Given what we really know about Pueblo cannibalism, I don't think it can be ruled out. Certainly there were, and are, cultures that use cannibalism as terror or as a religious rite. I do not think we can say with certainty that the Pueblo cannibalism falls into those categories. Future evidence may indeed prove it to be so. Perhaps I was overreaching, but the eating of human flesh is a widespread taboo, and to breach it — for whatever reason — requires some effort.

"My point is not to establish our superiority, but to deconstruct the idea that other races and cultures are above the same old stuff. 'there is nothing new under the sun, all things continue on as they have since the beginning.' I feel the only superiorty a culture can claim is that which results from its true following Of Jesus. His way is always the superior way, when it is truly followed."

I agree with you there. Even cultures that claim to follow Christ are nonetheless subject to error and evil. Surely Western civilization has shown this to be true because "cultural Christians" often behave no better than — and sometimes worse than — "heathens."

"This is situational, and not inherent to any particular culture. All cultures are suscetible to the same old sins."

So it is. And it is also true that cultures that possess wealth and technology tend to think themselves better than others and take advantage of their positions.

I have enjoyed this conversation, but I have to be at work early tomorrow and must get to bed.

I appreciate the fact that we have allowed each other to speak his mind and neither of us has called the other antichrist, apostate, left winger, right winger, fascist or any host of other names.

Until later ...

rsr

4. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

rsr-"I agree with you there. Even cultures that claim to follow Christ are nonetheless subject to error and evil. Surely Western civilization has shown this to be true because "cultural Christians" often behave no better than — and sometimes worse than — "heathens.""

Which is why I said specifically when they TRULY follow Christ. But the western world has blessed the world more than any other society also.

You have to work on Sat? Bummer! :(

I appreciated it to, and enjoyed it.

Till next time!

5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I believe that sooner rather than later---slave power would have been rendered "obsolete" with growing industrial/mechanical revolution

Scenerio in thought

Plantation farmer purchases his first John Deere tractor---realizes that his new purchase can plow, plant, cultivate, and combine 4 rows of corn

He "weighs" the pros & cons

and then concludes

I don't need to maintain 300 slaves when all I need is this one piece of equipment---which is easier??? Feeding 300 hungry tummies 3 hot meals a day----or pouring 10 gallons of gasoline into the tank of a thursty John Deere???

6. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Right on blackbird, exactly what is happening in many parts of SE Asia today.

Rice production has been labour intensive albiet poorly paid, but mechanisation is becoming more affordable allowing the farm boss to dispense with the labour. The unemployed labourer drifts to the city and the squalor of destitution.... and the evils of desperation.

Realistically, if given I am being truely honest with myself I would probably be a slave owner if circumstances were different BUT of course I would be a GOOD master. (this is with tongue firmly in cheek)

7. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Yes, Indians sometimes raised white captives as Indians, and Whites sometimes did the same with Indian captives. (Of course, in both cases it was often after the captive individual's own family had been killed). But Natives usually went through an involved ritual with adopted whites that figuratively washed away their whiteness. So in their minds, the adopted persons were no longer white at all.

[ September 14, 2005, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: NiteShift ]