1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If you could do it again, how would you?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by NateT, Jun 30, 2003.

1. NateT

NateT Member

I've got a question for the men who are currently pastors.

If you were just getting ready to start your ministry again, would you 1) be an associate pastor at a church for a time and then become a senior pastor or 2) become a senior pastor at church.

What I'm wondering is, would you find it more advantageous to start out working "for" a senior pastor, so you could see how he deals with things, and how he works, or would you just go be a senior pastor yourself and try to do your best?

I've been tossing this thought back and forth in my mind and can see pros and cons for each side, so I was just wondering how some of you might responed now that you've been in ministry for a while.

Thanks

2. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I served for a couple of years as an assistant pastor, and if I were to do it again, I would do the same thing. I learned much from the other man, both positively and negatively, and am grateful for this pastoral apprenticeship to this day.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I served as an associate, but it profited me nothing because the man would not have a mentoring relationship with me. Instead, I got this from my home pastor prior, and others after.

So either way, have a mentor first. Be mentored. Be involved in your studies first. Then launch out into ministry.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I served on staff for just over 3 years with a man with whom I had fewer than 10 ministry related conversations in all that time. I didn't learn much about ministry at all. Having said that, don't branch out on your own without getting some experience serving under someone who knows what they are doing and are willing to teach you. Many of the things that I am learning on the fly are things that I should have learned from someone else.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two good helps I would recommend. While finishing grad school, align with a church where you can be "assistant" or "associate" on a part-time basis. Hands on to add to the classroom training.

Also, I would recommend taking an associate position out of school for 2-3 years with a good mentoring pastor. You may learn much of the practical and routine of a pastoral life.

THEN a senior pastorate would be easier to step into as God might lead.

6. NateT

NateT Member

Well it appears as if my thinking lines up with what you guys are saying you would do. We're planning on heading to SBTS to start on campus next summer. As I look at the work I've done aroudn the area, I know that preaching is easier for me than the many other areas of pastoral duties. I'm in no way a great preacher, but I think I can learn that easier than the other things.

This leads me to another question along the same lines. If you were to start seminary within the next year how soon would you try to get a job at a church? I've heard of some people who go the whole time working in secular employment, I've heard others work at churches and others say to work at churches after you've been there about a year or two. Just curious on what your opinions would be.

Thanks again in advance

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finding a pastor that will allow you to "mess up" as it were is invaluable. No matter how much you learn in class, the hands on stuff is equally important. I was fortunate in that I worked for couple of pastors although strong in their opinions allowed me the opportunity to do many things in the church. All the way from cleaning floors to preaching on Sunday. As I look back I am much more thankful for these experiences then I was when I was going through them. I have seen some straight to the pastorate and have success, but those have been few and far between.

8. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would have stayed in the USAF until I retired and got my training OJT and yes, would have been sure to get the title of Asst/Assoc since that seems to mean so much to churches. I performed the duties in a lot of small churches, but never got the title because they did not have money for even a PT salary and so they did not want to give me the title lest they be oligated to pay me though I never asked for a salary.

Then upon retirement I would have started a church rather than trying to work with what was available. I did not want to start a 1st Church of the Mavericks, but now see that I should have as the current system is severely flawed and many churches open that should be closed for they have been "dead" for some time.

I would have had the church that I worked in become the parent church and the church I would have been involved with be a daughter church of that one as long as the pastor was not paranoid or a control freak.

I would have done many, many things differently.