1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured IF You Hold To Sign Gifts Operating, what verse/Function?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DaChaser1, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Meaning....the apostles.

Well you should research it so you know what you're getting into. Test the spirits.

Scripture can't be silenced, but false teachers can.

2. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

So your belief system relies on what you see, and you say you won't believe until you see. Those who believe in the signs rely on the testimony of the Bible and the testimony (if you haven't witnessed yourself) of fellow believers. Who is right? Those who don't believe because they haven't seen, or those who rely on what the Bible testifies and the evidence of others? Maybe we should consult Thomas? :tongue3:

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Since you are one who believes (I assume you include yourself in this verse), do you handle rattlesnakes? Drink strychnine?
    I live in the south and it's a common practice in Appalachia. Not wise though since many have killed themselves.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yep...false teachers always find some who listen to them...
    Peter says they find many....

2And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What is this nonsense? My "belief system" is the bible. I believe everything the word of God says. I do not believe people who claim that signs are still occurring today and yet have zero evidence of it.

6. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

No... meaning those who believe (which would include the apostles, of course).

Mark 16:15-18 He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No Amy has It correct;
    19So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

20And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. AmeN.
    The LORD WORKING WITH THEM

12Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Do you handle poisonous snakes and drink poison?

9. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

I do not. Why would I?

10. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Only if you erase the verses before which clearly, from the lips of Jesus, tell them that signs will follow believers.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You're a believer. You should be able to do signs and wonders. Right?

they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all

#51 Amy.G, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

No read the whole passage those who believed were those the apostles preached to..... read verse twenty.....the

20And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. AmeN.
    The LORD WORKING WITH THEM

12Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds

13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

That's correct. I have never drank poison, but I have held snakes. I think most men caught have snakes as youngsters. But currently, no, I have not picked up any snakes.

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well then apparently you don't really believe what you're telling everyone here then.

15. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Bro,the context of the commission, along with the teaching of Paul, along with the testimony of others in the Acts teaches these gifts are for believers.

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    the context is from verse 11...he spoke to the 11

and you can go through acts it always was confirming the apostolic word,,,,

33And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all11And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

12And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people;

3Long time therefore abode they speaking boldly in the Lord, which gave testimony unto the word of his grace, and granted signs and wonders to be done by their hands.

#56 Iconoclast, Mar 9, 2012
  17. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Of course I believe it. But that doesn't mean I am going to do it just for the sake of proving something. The devil tried that tactic with Jesus in the wilderness. "Jump.... Scripture says..." How did Jesus reply? "It is also written you shall not tempt the LORD your God."

18. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Goodnight folks. 5 am comes early. :wavey:

19. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shame on you...

....the devil used this same tactic on Jesus during His 40 day fast in the desert when he told Jesus to turn the stones to bread and eat them, or to jump off the moutain, knowing God would keep Him from dashing so much as a toe, as the angels would come to protect Him.

Be careful of how you speak when you make a point, as it can across as something not God sent! I, for one, can't believe you resorted to this form of argument.

#59 righteousdude2, Mar 9, 2012
  20. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I've Seen, and Been Part of...

...is not pure emotion. It was real, but if you don't believe in these things, I can see why you would hold to that understanding.

I once didn't believe in the gifts of prophecy, but having been subjected to the ministry of a prophet, and seeing, over time, how the words of the Father have come to pass; I can no longer judge those caught up in and practicing these gifts as working out of "pure emotion!"

Amy, we serve a supernatural God (meaning there are going to be things manifested in and through others that are nothingless than supernatural, or without explanation). Just as everything that has happened, throughout the age of man was new and strange and miraculous to them, there is nothing stopping God from doing the same in revealing Himself and manifesting His awesome gifts and wonders in our time, too!

We simply should not get to the point where we limit Him by what we think we understand, or like so many, throughout time, we can be left behind.

Do you not hold to the teaching that there will be a rapture? And if you want to believe in that event, how can you really support it since the word "rapture" does not appear in text, anywhere? It is a made-up word to describe an event that will be as supernatural as any man has and will ever see.

So how is holding to that hope or event any different than holding to the idea that God is still working through us in "signs and wonders?" God thinks so highly of us that in 1 Corinthian 6:2-3 (AMP), we are told that "Do you not know that the saints (the believers) will [one-day] day] judge and govern the world? And if the world [itself] is to be judged and ruled by you, are you unworthy and incompetent to try [such petty matters] of the smallest courts of justice? Do you not know also that we [Christians] are to judge the [very] angels and pronounce an opinion between right and wrong [for them]? How much more then [as to] matters pertaining to this world and of this life only!"

While on the planet, we are in a comprehensive On-the-Job-training program. We've been deputized by Jesus to act on behalf of the Father, and to limit the acts we have been entrusted to enact, limits the awesomeness of God Himself in the lives of those we come in contact with.

The idea that many hold to (that the gifts ceased to continue after John's death on the Isle of Patamos), makes no sense if we are going to be ambassadors, deputized by Jesus, to show the world the wonder of the awesome God we come by the name of.

Of course, we need to prayerfully be cognizant of the charlatans of life. The flashes for the cash preachers are around every corner, and we need to temper and act in accordance, being careful not to go overboard, or be caught up in the spiritual hysterics that many churches have given way to.

There's a spiritual fine line to walk, sort of like the narrow path we walk, and we need to be extremely careful not to wonder, stray, or go in a different direction other than forward, as we move within the perimeters of the arsenal of weapons and gifts. He has given us to use.

For instance, I have been used to pray for healing and seen healing come. However, that gift is not always going to be applicable to every instance I come across. I have moved in discernment, and prophecy, but, then again, it is not an every day event that manifests itself every time I minister in Jesus's name. I operate in the gift of love, but there are times I must operate in the gift of tough love, or not being too loved to do to the nature of the party and their willingness to receive.

Each gift will be manifest itself within me when it is critical and necessary to the situation, and it always is used to lift Him up, NOT me!

the Operation of Sign Gifts will be manifested in spiritual moderation, and always in line with His will and not ours. Not everyone who says pray for my healing will be healed and returned to this life (they die, a greater form of healing). Preaching the Word of God is a combination of prophetic gifts and discernement skills, coming together to bless, enhance and enlighten those present to hear the Word.

Finally, while I pray in a special prayer language, I am careful to not offend those who don't or those who question its existance altogether. My prayer language is for God and myself, not for anyone else, and it only manifests itself on certain ocassions, and I do not know when it will surface, which means I can't make it happen without Him.