1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

If you want to know what another denomination teaches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Craigbythesea, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

If you want to know what another denomination teaches, should you study their writings and official documents carefully, prayerfully, and objectively—or should you just read their hate mail and believe it?

[​IMG]

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Dear Moderators,

Please delete this duplicate thread that is the consequence of a computer glitch.

3. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

I've found it's not so simple.
    You can read the Catechism of the Catholic Church to find out what they believe, but I've learned that most Catholics I know don't believe what's in it and some expressed surprise that it was still being used.

My daughter converted to Mormonism after being told by her fiance that they believe the same things Baptists do. :rolleyes:

You'll find that though they claim to believe in the Bible, they are the first to attack it's accuracy and reliability when you bring it up when disputing their doctrine.

They deny much of their past teachings and many of their current teachings have been changed from what they DO admit.

They are able to do this because of "continuing revelation" from their current "prophet" who is careful not to actually give any prophecies which might not come to pass.

They are also quite careful not to explain their extremely bizarre beliefs to potential converts when going door to door.

{God is an alien from near the planet Kolob.}

You will certainly not learn what certain cults believe by reading their official documents because they wish to appear mainstream and do not disclose anything that might put people off.

I have in my library a certain "Handbook of Denominations" by Frank S. Mead.

It is a fairly accurate description of the doctrines of American churches.

However, your OP appears to be loaded.

What are you getting at?

MR

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

You should study their writings and official documents carefully, prayerfully, and objectively. Unfortunatly, some Baptist ministers do not do this. Since I became a member of a Baptist church 14 years ago, I have heard Baptist ministers on the air and at church a few times misrepresent what other denominations believe and then criticize them for it. Having been in other denominations years ago, this misinformation is apparent to me.

This is not to say the ministers intend to not tell the truth. They have heard this so much over the years that they themselves believe it.
    The main problem is that they tend to group other denominations into one group rather than search out what the actual different beliefs are.

I once challanged one old retired Baptist minister on such an issue he was speaking about. It had to do with sanctification. He said 60 years ago he was talking to two young ministers from West Virginia and that is what they believed. He didn't know what denomination they were from. Yet he assumed that all denominations with other beliefs similiar to the two young preachers, had this belief. I have great respect for that old retired minister and his integrity. He just never bothered to checked it out.

Unforunately, most people in churches believe what they are told and the bad information is passed on.

One of the things I love about the BB is that the type of people that post here have usually checked out their information. If not, they soon get informed by someone.

This BB has really been a help and inspiriation to me. Thanks.

drfuss