1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IFB Beliefs

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jimmy C, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

FYI, I am and have been a SBC all my life. Ihave only been introduced to IFBers on this web site and I have a couple of questions. Do the IFB churches have certain seminaries that they send their students to? Do they typicaly go to seminary or stop after a Bible College? Is greek and hebrew taught in those seminaries?

The reason I ask those questions is I followed a few links to some IFB web sites, they all indicated that they were KJV only, and dont look to the greek or hebrew in their interpretation of scripture.

I am not trying to be critical in any way, just seeking understanding.

If my impressions on this issue are valid it would explain alot to me on some of the threads I have followed and particiapted in, and where some of these people are coming from.

If I have posted this to the wrong section, please feel free to move it.

2. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Independent is the operative word in Independent Fundamental Baptist. There is a wide variety out there with no common binding creed except the fundamentals of the faith.

Jason

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are several schools that are independent and fundamental. Many IFB kids go to them. Tennessee Temple (I think), Bob Jones, Cedarville University, Northland Bible, Piedmont Bible College, etc. fit into the category. None of the ones listed are KJVO.
    Some do, some don't.
    Absolutely. Even some of the more "moderate" KJVO schools like Pensacola Christian College teach biblical languages.

KJVOnlyism is an aberration to true fundamentalism. In fact, it stands as a contradiction to fundamental, biblical doctrine so the more zealously KJVO one is the less IFB they are.

It isn't and that may be the saddest part of all. KJVO's make up a noisy minority of IFB's... but they bring a stigma to all of us.

For clarification:
    Independent- accepts no authoritative body above the local church level. Cooperation, while engaged in for some things, is subordinate to the autonomy and authority of the local body.

Fundamental- believe the Bible is literal except where it indicates that it is not and accepts it militantly as the final authority in all matters of faith and practice. Adheres to the Baptist distinctives. The GARBC website has a good listing of them.

4. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Thanks, your answers help! I was worried about you IFBers for a second there!

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? Because we have to be educated to preach the Word correctly?

I've known quite a few people who educated themselves right out of intelligence....

And I've met a few preachers who can give you sound doctrine and pure Gospel without ever having set foot in a seminary....

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well.... um, yes. Yes someone does need to be educated to preach the Word correctly. It doesn't require a formal education but anti-intellectualism is about as anti-fundamentalist as one can possibly get.

Perhaps they weren't as smart as you thought they were to start with... or maybe your standard for judging them is flawed.

Yes. But not without being educated.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IFB's come from three basic heritages:

(1) Old "Northern" Baptist who left the liberal convention mentality. Many fellowships and associations, but nothing like a convention.

These churches generally will be conservative, traditional music, emphasis on education. My kind of Baptist. Example: GARBC, CBA

(2) Old "Southern" Baptist who left the liberal-heading (then) convention. Formed fellowships for missions, education. Southern Gospel, more emotion, lots of busing, soul winning emphasis. Example: BBFI, Southwide

(3) New "Independent" Baptist who have roots in both of the above but have gone beyond those into doctrines, styles, pastors who are very extreme, far from the mainstream of true historic fundamentalism. Example: KJVO, Hylesism

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scott, I think you misunderstood me.

There seems to be a thought train that in order to be a pastor, or to even preach, you must attend seminary first; that's what I meant by "educated." That's what it sounded like our friend Jimmy C was implying.

By being "educated right out of intelligence," it's amusing (no longer amazing) how we send people to colleges where they're indoctrinated with politically/socially-correct thought processes. It also happens in seminaries.

I was referring to Jimmy's apparent assumption that if IFBer's don't require their pastors to be seminary-trained, then he's worried about us.

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I did not mean to imply anything. I did and do not know much about IFBers and was simply asking questions for my own education.

My bias is that I look for a pastor who has graduated from seminary, preferably SBC, conservative theologically and moderate politically. That is not to say that I would not consider attending a church with a pastor who has not attended seminary, but I value education as ONE of the criterion I look for.

Some of the correspondence I have had on this board did make we wonder about IFBers, especially some of the KJVO crowd, and thier refusal to look at the greek and hebrew as they struggle for the meaning and interpretation of the Scriptures.

I did not know if there was a certain seminary, a list of acceptable seminaries, or if most IFBers did not see seminary as a desired prerequisite for their pastors. Dr. bob answered that question for me - thanks!

10. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

I am a IFB. My story is kind of strange. I was raised Catholic then, When I was 29 a friend worried about my soul invited me to church. After going for a few weeks. It fit me like a glove. I don't see as our ways of life opressive, just diffrent. But, those little diffrences make me happy. Occasionaly I do wear pants :eek: , and My girls do too :eek: . We are now listening to the Lord with open ears. It takes time to let loose of those last little tags of this world. As the song so clearly states. I do not belong in this world anymore.

God Bless [​IMG]