1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IFB churches playing defense

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by sanderson1769, Mar 14, 2006.

1. sanderson1769

sanderson1769 New Member

Looking through the phone books of America, it seems that every church is trying to advertise how liberal they are (contemporary worship, the pastor is pictured in a hawaiian shirt instead of a suit, etc.)

The yellow pages ads of independent, fundamental Baptist churches at best neutral but never seem to be appealing to the base. Here is my new yellow pages ad for the Phoenix phone book 2006:

http://faithfulwordbaptist.org/Yellow%20Pages%20Ad.pdf

Why be ashamed of what we are?

Sincerely,

Pastor Steven L Anderson
    Faithful Word Baptist Church
    www.faithfulwordbaptist.org

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

do you have hawaiian shirt phobia or something, because when i read the bible i don't see anything about hawaiian shirts in it.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Is anyone here ashamed of who you are?

4. standingfirminChrist

Wow! I would really be frowned upon. I only wore a suit twice in the 8 years I pastored.

I guess the many professions of faith that were made at the altar, the pastor who now leads the flock who made a profession of faith while I was pastoring were to no effect in God's eyes.

I am sorry, sanderson, but you are being way to critical of God's people.

5. Satartia

Satartia New Member

How far is it from Tempe Arizona to Roswell New Mexico?

6. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, wait a minute! Satartia, you are brandishing my real picture (which was taken last winter at a wedding). I am not an avatar, so if you don't mind, could you please remove me from your profile? Thanks! [​IMG]

7. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

WoW. You guys could be twins! :eek: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. standingfirminChrist

Plagiarizing, are we, Satartia?

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

lol! Looks like you have a doppelganger, B.

10. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Pastor Steve, I hear what you are saying...these others guys seem to be missing the point focusing on the hawaiian shirt. I blame Jimmy Carter...yep I feel like he tried to dress down for everything and tried to "casual-ize" (is that a word?) to fit in with the common man. I'm certain that there is nothing wrong with being accepted and wanting to fit in...God wants us to be seperated from the world but not weirdos that the world scorns. But some of this "casaulness" in the pulpit is disrespectful to God and IMO seems to try to bring God down to our level. I dress a certain way for Church not to show-off but to be respectful. If I was going to see the President I would dress in my best Dress Uniform or best suit out of respect to the President so why not the same for my worship to God. Now I understand that cultures change...in a Philipino ministry a suit and tie would be very odd because their cultural dress is much different than ours. I think that even in the States that we have pockets of area that dress a certain way becuase of "culture" whether cowboys, farmers, local culture, etc. that may allow or "require" me to dress a certain way not to dumb down God but to be accepted enough to get the word out. I would not compromise my standards but I see Jesus' example to make people feel accepted and to get the word to their level without changing who he was or dumbing down his message.
    So I say all of this to simply say while I believe we don't need to dress-up to impress others or be hyprocritical we should be aware we make an impression on people and I think that should not be with a casualness but with a reverence we hold for our position as Pastor and our respect to God and yet still be in touch with our people. Jesus was in touch with God's leading and still could relate wih his followers and those he was trying to reach but never did he compromise.

So again Pastor Steve I hear what you are saying and respect your stand and your ad because if I was looking for a Church in your area yours would be the first one I would visit because of that ad. [​IMG]

11. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Steve, don't you dare be ashamed of your stand. But do let us make sure we separate preference from true bible convictions, and let us know and teach why we have those preferences and convictions. I am very happy to attend a church where high personal standards are considered important, and we know why we believe in using only the KJV.

To the HI-shirt crowd I would ask, if it doesn't matter what you where to church, would your church ever consider having a bikini service? Well that's ridiculous you say. So then it DOES matter what you ware to church? Of course it does. What you ware, at any time, especially in social settings, is your message to the world. Sloppy clothing says "leave me alone", or "don't tell me what to do", or "I don't care what you think"; none of which reflect a Christ-like attitude. I'm not saying that you should ware a tuxedo, but I am asking "What message are you sending with your clothing?" The no-tie preachers are saying "I want to be liked". I've got news for you - if they hated Christ they're gonna hate you if you're walking with Him, so get used to it.

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow. Liberalism sure gets thrown around a lot and often means something I don't agree with.

I haven't made an exhaustive study of the phone books of America, but my local phone book has 5½ pages of church ads in the Yellow Pages. Several mention having a contemporary service. Of the pastors whose pictures are shown, all are in suits and ties.

I checked the religion page in the newspaper and found nine photos of pastors; seven were in suits and ties. (The two who weren't were Army chaplains wearing BDUs and berets.)

Now, I'm sure that's just because we're in a backwater town, not Phoenix.

I don't think anyone here would say to be ashamed of what you are. (Of course, you lost me on the KJVO position; that would rule out my attending your church.) But sometimes we seem to major on the minors and elevate things to the level of doctrine that are really matters of preference and tradition.

13. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

uh...my spell check just kicked in - that should be WEAR, not WARE. [​IMG]

14. standingfirminChrist

I never owned a suit. Could not afford one. I rented one on two occasions.

God does not look at the outward, but the inward.

As to the 'bikini service' argument, that is weak if not non-existent. The Word of God tells us to dress modestly, and not in a way that will draw attention to ourselves.

God does not care if one dresses modestly. And a three piece suit does not have to be the norm. Besides, if you only wear a suit and tie when you go to church, are you not being hypocritical?

A hypocrite in the dictionary is defined as an 'actor'. If one only dresses up in his best for church but dresses in other clothing the rest of the week, it is acting a part that one is not living all the time.

15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really can't imagine Jesus getting all worked up over this issue, since he probably only had one change of clothing.

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think you've score some good points there, standingfirm. Let me clarify my statements by putting it in the negative. I don't think people should wear flip-flops and shorts to church. And with that, I'm not being ridiculous, I'm an eye-witness to this kind of behaviour. And what does something like that say? It says "let's hurry up and get this religious exercise over with so I can get to the Lake before it starts raining."
    (BTW the reason we have folks like that in church to begin with is due to all the false professions made possible by shallow evangelism).

Don't you think that the way we dress should be a reflection of the reason why we're having church services?

BTW Man looks on the outward appearance, and while man may judge unrighteously, man nevertheless gets an idea of what we're all about by observing such things. Modest apparel is not the same as casual apparel.

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

sanderson1769 said:

Why be ashamed of what we are?

I'm ashamed of what you are, spammer.

18. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

That is not a neccessary response (or name calling) he is the one who started the topic...he didn't jump into the thread and jump out as per the norm for a "spammer". So not to be considered a spammer yourself do you have something to contribute to the discussion or are you just spamming??? :confused:

And yes I see your post count and that means little to me if you got it this way by attacking other new members and spamming yourself.

19. standingfirminChrist

20. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

That is not a neccessary response (or name calling) he is the one who started the topic...

He has started a dozen topics on this board in various forums, containing a few leading phrases and a link to a page on his own Web site, but not sticking around to participate in the discussion.

That is the definition of a spammer. "Pastor" Anderson is here to promote his site, not to interact with other BB members.