1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

II Cor 5:17 - What does it mean?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bro. Ruben, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Bro. Ruben

Bro. Ruben New Member

"So that if any one is in Christ, that one is a new creature; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. II Cor 5:17

What actually is that "new" in us? Or we are "new" only in the sight of God.

And what is its connection in committing sins, intentionally and unintentionally?

Thanks!

2. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This verse has long intrigued me. It clearly says "all things" yet if we think about it, there are two ways to take this.

The first way is that every aspect of us is totally new, in the sense that nothing from the old self remains. But yet there are aspects of our old selves that clearly remain........physical aspects (hair color, scars, height, etc.) and mental / emotional (I still like the same foods, like the same hobbies, etc). My mind still remembers things from before I was saved. So in an absolute sense, "all things" does not mean that every single aspect of our self went away, and new things were created. Clearly there were aspects of ourselves that remained from before we were saved.

The second is that all aspects of ourselves have been made new, but in a sense that allows for some degree of continuity from the old self. It must be this, or else it would not be "me" that was saved, but some other creation.

But there seems to be some sense that the old "me" has changed, and the new "me" is changed. Some parts of the old me no longer exist, and some parts do. So "all things become new" seems to mean regenerated, not replaced.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Old things have passed away: meaning the fleshly desires of the unsaved.
    Also, you're sins are gone. You are starting fresh and new.

All things have become new: You have a new spirit in you, the very Spirit of God, you have new desires and a new life.

4. Bro. Ruben

Bro. Ruben New Member

Good answer!

However, the way I analyze your reply, it looks (just maybe, pls correct me if I'm wrong) I'm correct for saying we are "new" only in sight of God. Before, dead spiritualy and now alive because of regeneration.

"New" not in our sight, but in God's.