1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

II John 1

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

For a number of years I was a friend of a fellow believer in my Church, sung in the choir with him in additition to having a social relationship. We lunched together once a week along with playing golf fairly regularly. Under the influence of his wife they both began to dabble in Hebrew Messianic Doctrines which eventually led to them both to deny the Diety of Christ. Upon hearing this I confronted him with the question; "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is God"? His answer "No, I believe God is God". Based on II John 1 I severed my relationship with him which was one of the toughest decisions I ever had to make.
    Now he has a form of dementia and every time he sees any of my family he inquires about me an send his regards.
    He still has a social relationship with a lot of my fellow believers and they view my actions as being harsh and without compasion. Has anyone else had a simular experience? Did I misinterpret the Scripture?

2. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

3. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

2 John seems to be addressing people that make a claim to be saved but teach a false doctrine related to the person and work of Christ. Nothing in the letter says that they were actually saved. John does not call them brothers. Leave them be.

James 5:19, 20 deals with actual brothers. Prayerfully and carefully try to correct their error.

None of us on BB know the man. We can make no discerning statement as to whether he was an actual brother or not.

It is similar to how we handle someone who falls into sin. A rebellious person who maintains they are not in sin are to be sent out of the church. Do not even eat with such a one but deliver them over for the destruction of the flesh. A person who is struggling with a sin can, and should, be helped, prayed for, and encouraged to live rightly.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I believe grace is always the best policy.

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

2 John puts truth above grace, or love, or tolerance, or however else we try to justify not standing firm on the Word in order to make people feel better about themselves.

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I guess my question is, Will the cause of Christ be harmed in any way by communicating with the former friend? Would it not, in fact, be a demonstration of compassion and grace?

7. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I always come back to When Paul speaks of one who will not recieve correction, he says to "treat them as an unbeliever."

How does the bible say we are to treat unbelievers? Pray for them, Speak the Gospel to them, love them, care for them...etc.

8. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

2Jn 1:9 Anyone who goes too far and does not abide in the teaching of Christ, does not have God; the one who abides in the teaching, he has both the Father and the Son.
    2Jn 1:10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not receive him into your house, and do not give him a greeting;
    2Jn 1:11 for the one who gives him a greeting participates in his evil deeds.

1Co 5:11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler--not even to eat with such a one.

We certainly want the person restored. How we do that is very important. We cannot even hint that we approve of their sin or false teaching. The so-called brother has heard the truth. We must leave him in the hands of God praying that the truth will become fully planted in him and will be producing godly sorrow and true repentance.

The most unloving and ungracious thing we can do is allow someone to continue in sin and error without being challenged by the divisive stumbling block of the Cross of Christ.